Author Topic: Red Wave or Blue Wave Next Month?  (Read 3360 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Red Wave or Blue Wave Next Month?
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
I'm at the point of never ever voting for someone with a D. behind their name, ever again.  But that's just me.  
Obamacare - a 100% D program - has hurt me and is still hurting me. And I mean in real, tangible ways, not just in the abstract.

As long as it continues to do so, I won't vote D. I wouldn't even vote for a blood relative running for third assistant dog catcher if he or she had a D behind their name.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
I am thinking the Republicans are in much the same place they were prior to Trump's election.  Internal polling and sentiment showed then that they were in trouble, and yet Trump won the election.
Internal polling and leadership sentiment show the Republicans are in trouble now.  Lots of indicators that they will lose the House and possibly the Senate.  And pre-Kavanaugh that is exactly what I was expecting to happen.
But the whole Kavanaugh debacle has energized a lot of Republicans, and I believe quite a few more will turn out to vote than would have otherwise.  However, the recent fun and games has also energized the Democrats, possibly moreso than the Republicans.  At this point I don't think anyone can accurately predict what will happen and we will just have to wait and see.
My gut tells me the Republicans will lose seats in the House, but barely retain control, and that the Senate is up for grabs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 10:37:32 AM »
My money would be on enough of a blue wave in the house for the Dems to take control there and cause some problems (endless investigations). The senate will stay about the same though.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
Obamacare - a 100% D program - has hurt me and is still hurting me. And I mean in real, tangible ways, not just in the abstract.

As long as it continues to do so, I won't vote D. I wouldn't even vote for a blood relative running for third assistant dog catcher if he or she had a D behind their name.
I heard more or less the same thing on Gun Talk Radio yesterday.  At this point, there is not really any such thing as a "good" Democrat.  Even if they are themselves not anti-gun, they caucus with Democrats and contribute to the power of people like Pelosi and Schumer who make sure pro-gun bills get no where.  Not to mention they vote to confirm leftist judges who will be anti-gun.  

And before one of you bring it up, yes, I know the other side isn't exactly pro-gun.  They are just the best choice.  There is no such thing as a perfect candidate in politics.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
I guess I would say I don't think a blue wave will happen in Texas.  I have no idea what will happen elsewhere.  

Mainly I wonder how much of the "Blue Wave" is real and how much is Democrat funded wishful thinking trying to discourage the opposition. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 04:19:46 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »
One thing I heard on the radio today was about Mueller.  He and his buddies will likely put something in the next month to affect the midterm elections.  What that might be could be interesting.  Doesn't matter if it is true. 

What other Leftist groups may be planning October surprise releases?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 08:19:36 PM »
What other Leftist groups may be planning October surprise releases?

All of them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 10:49:51 PM »
I think Iowa is going to have a Democrat governor, at least he is a retired businessman and not progressive.

I think we are going to be 2 and 2 on our Representatives, maybe 3-1 Democrats. Dipshit King will get reelected by a huge margin when the Dutch reformed folks show up in the polls.

I'm not sure about the state senate or state house, I think it is anyone's guess, people are pissed at the status quo which is GOP controlled, so people may vote Democrat just to get back at them.

Rest of the executive elected officials (including my boss) should stay the same, both parties seem to be fairly neutral and serve all constituents well in those offices.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 10:52:05 PM »
One thing I heard on the radio today was about Mueller.  He and his buddies will likely put something in the next month to affect the midterm elections.  What that might be could be interesting.  Doesn't matter if it is true.

Considering he's likely got bupkis and would like to maximize the effect of what little he's got, this would not surprise me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 12:42:28 PM »
I think we are going to see a small blue wave in state level elections in the swing states. People are pissed, like here in Iowa, the GOP have had both houses and the governor since 2016 (governor since 2010), they passed a lot of legislation and policies that really haven't worked out and the result has been anger with folks who use the services, one being the privatization of Medicare. The program is ending up costing more than when the state ran it and folks are being denied services.

Also property and income tax breaks for attracting businesses, Apple was given a sweetheart deal for $208,000,000 in tax savings to build a data center in Iowa, after the construction is done they total permanent job gain is about 50 jobs. Numerous papers have shown even the payroll taxes and money spent for room and board locally by the construction workers don't even come close to recuperating the $208M.

People are also pissed about the large confined animal feeding operations and lack over regulations on manure handing and odor control.

Also paychecks haven't been going up much in the "growing economy" so people are pissed there.

TIF=/= giveaway.
The left is making the same erroneous arguments (to put it nicely) against the Foxconn project in WI. They are claiming that the state is giving away billions in 'taxpayer' money on land that was only generating a few thousand dollars/year in property tax to start with.
Of course its worse and far more dishonest here in WI - 'giveaway' claim also involves around 13,000 high paying jobs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 12:39:05 AM »
here in WI - 'giveaway' claim also involves around 13,000 high paying jobs.

If that was the case, no one would care about the Apple deal.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536