Author Topic: Your diesel car is probably greener then your electric car  (Read 2958 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Your diesel car is probably greener then your electric car
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:40:54 AM »
It may take up to 10 years before your diesel car produces more emissions then a green electric.  Simply because this factors in the amount of CO2 used to produce the car (including batteries) and then produce the electricity to charge it.  Again proving that there's no such thing as a free lunch...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-16/the-dirt-on-clean-electric-cars
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Your diesel car is probably greener then your electric car
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
Ask VW about that...
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »
I just wish Subaru would bring a diesel to the US.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:14:17 AM »

So do I.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
There are many manufacturers that would love to bring diesels to the US, but our retarded EPA hates diesels.  That's why VW had to cheat.  Cars that are considered "green" in Europe are "Da Ebil" here because they use that nasty diesel fuel.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
Ask VW about that...

I did.  VW said, "Halte mein bier."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »
I did.  VW said, "Halte mein bier."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 04:24:34 PM »
Maybe the newest diesels are a different animal, but after having dealt with a post 2007 diesel engine in my previous 2008 F-250, I don't think  I want one ever again. I'm looking to buy a mid-compact tractor and am almost dreading getting the diesel on that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
There are many manufacturers that would love to bring diesels to the US, but our retarded EPA hates diesels.  That's why VW had to cheat.  Cars that are considered "green" in Europe are "Da Ebil" here because they use that nasty diesel fuel.

In part because our emission standards are still regulated on a parts-per-million basis rather than a parts-per-mile basis. So a big V8 that pushes three times the volume of air-fuel through it tests a few PPM "cleaner" than a compact car with a small engine ... even though in real world use the small car emits far less pollution.

I have a friend who works in a VW dealership. His daily commute is an hour each way. He recently picked up an older VW diesel to use for getting to work. He's getting 57 miles per gallon. His other cars are a Chevy Suburban and an old Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both of the SUVs get in the mid-teens for gas mileage. But they pass emissions, so they're "clean."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 06:52:21 PM »

My '97 (gasoline) has been passing the emissions test with flying colors.  My son wisecracked that the stuff coming out the back was cleaner than the air going in the front.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
Maybe the newest diesels are a different animal, but after having dealt with a post 2007 diesel engine in my previous 2008 F-250, I don't think  I want one ever again. I'm looking to buy a mid-compact tractor and am almost dreading getting the diesel on that.

It may end up being like the toilets when they passed the water standards.  The first X years failed to suck( ;) ), but after that they developed some standards, put development work in, and now the best water saving toilets actually flush better than the old versions.

That said, they keep toughening the standards.

@230RN - Your son is actually correct in many areas of the country.  The emission systems will actually remove existing smog from the atmosphere

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 09:51:08 AM »
It may end up being like the toilets when they passed the water standards.  The first X years failed to suck( ;) ), but after that they developed some standards, put development work in, and now the best water saving toilets actually flush better than the old versions.

That said, they keep toughening the standards.

@230RN - Your son is actually correct in many areas of the country.  The emission systems will actually remove existing smog from the atmosphere

Unfortunately, now you have to buy a $300 toilet to work as well as the old toilets that costed $75, to save $10 worth of water per year... I completely get the point of saving water where humans are packed into hives where water is relatively scarce, but there are a lot of us that live within spitting distance of enormous fresh water seas.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
Unfortunately, now you have to buy a $300 toilet to work as well as the old toilets that costed $75, to save $10 worth of water per year... I completely get the point of saving water where humans are packed into hives where water is relatively scarce, but there are a lot of us that live within spitting distance of enormous fresh water seas.

More like $100, and are you accounting for inflation?

Like I said, the new toilets, assuming you research at all, flush better than the old ones.  Given that I've been known to clog them, I bought a highly rated one and have never had a problem.

I'm on a well, so the water savings move me not one whit.  I like the fast recovery (when you're only pushing like 1.3 gallons, it recovers ~4X faster than when it has to recover 5), the solid flushing power, etc...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 11:06:07 AM »
Unfortunately, now you have to buy a $300

On the newer diesels, this is also why I'm currently not interested. The price delta, coupled with diesel prices, is just too high for me. Gasoline engines get pretty good MPGs these days, so I'm not sure when the cost recovery would come after you factor in higher maintenance costs, repair costs, etc. Gasoline engines also last a long time nowadays, so the longevity factor is not much of a consideration either, IMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 11:56:11 AM »
More like $100, and are you accounting for inflation?

Like I said, the new toilets, assuming you research at all, flush better than the old ones.  Given that I've been known to clog them, I bought a highly rated one and have never had a problem.

I'm on a well, so the water savings move me not one whit.  I like the fast recovery (when you're only pushing like 1.3 gallons, it recovers ~4X faster than when it has to recover 5), the solid flushing power, etc...
I replaced on of mine with a Kohler last year.  Works great.  I think it was a little over $100, but not near $300.  There was one that was advertised to flush a bucket of golf balls that was about the same price.  The extra height and larger seat are really good also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »
I replaced on of mine with a Kohler last year.  Works great.  I think it was a little over $100, but not near $300.  There was one that was advertised to flush a bucket of golf balls that was about the same price.  The extra height and larger seat are really good also.

I installed the golf ball bucket one (American Standard, I think) in my old house, was around $250 or so. Maybe prices have come down.
I really need to get a new toilet in current house, I have one of the craptastic el-cheapo low flow toilets- its always a double flush with a plunging in between ordeal.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
Tier 4 still sucks, now not only do you still have the EGR and DPF issues of the Tier 4 Interim engines now you get the fun of DEF systems with Tier 4 final

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 05:53:56 PM »
I installed the golf ball bucket one (American Standard, I think) in my old house, was around $250 or so. Maybe prices have come down.
I really need to get a new toilet in current house, I have one of the craptastic el-cheapo low flow toilets- its always a double flush with a plunging in between ordeal.

You can certainly pay more, they're always willing to take your money, but you can get a 4/5 or 5/5 star flush rated toilet for not much over $100.

Poor performance was why I replaced the one old-style full flush toilet, so I know those can be crappy as well.

I certainly recommend replacement given your description.  If it saves me a plunging once a month, it's worth even $300.

Just, when you go in, I'd recommend 3 things:
1.  Handicapped height.  They're nice.
2.  Elongated bowl - more comfortable(to me).
3.  Maximum flush capability.  They should have some rating system on the in store displays.

Golf balls are a gimmick.  The actual testing that is worth involves soy paste of various extruded sizes.  It's "realistic".  ;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »

Just, when you go in, I'd recommend 3 things:
1.  Handicapped height.  They're nice.
2.  Elongated bowl - more comfortable(to me).
3.  Maximum flush capability.  They should have some rating system on the in store displays.

I agree with all those three things. Especially handicap or "comfort height". At 6' 3" I'm sold on that.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »
The 1.3 GPF toilets in our new house work perfectly.  And, as my mom told me many years ago "It's not against the law to flush twice".

Maybe the newest diesels are a different animal, but after having dealt with a post 2007 diesel engine in my previous 2008 F-250, I don't think  I want one ever again.

I live in farm country, and almost everybody around here has a diesel pickup, including myself.  There seems to be no love for the Ford diesels after the 7.3.  I'm a Ford guy, but my Silverado with a DuraMax has been a gem, currently at 221K miles.  I bought it in 2006 at a steal, with 70K miles on it.  It's currently worth more than I paid for it.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
I wonder how diesels in the  Ram 1500 and Ford F150 will do against motors like the Chevrolet 1500 with a 2.7l 4 cl turbo?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »
The 1.3 GPF toilets in our new house work perfectly.  And, as my mom told me many years ago "It's not against the law to flush twice".

^^^ This.

Some of the new-fangled toilets may be able to clear #2 in a single flush, but that 1.3 gallons isn't enough to carry the load very far in the pipes. A second flush helps ... some.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

Some of the new-fangled toilets may be able to clear #2 in a single flush, but that 1.3 gallons isn't enough to carry the load very far in the pipes. A second flush helps ... some.

Didn't I read somewhere recently that the municipal water/sewer people had to add water to the sewer lines because with all the water-saving efforts, including the new toilets, the "stuff" wasn't getting through the sewer lines properly?

Terry, 230RN

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »

I completely get the point of saving water where humans are packed into hives where water is relatively scarce, but there are a lot of us who live within spitting distance of enormous fresh water seas.

Still another example of the problems of high-population-density areas screwing it up for everybody else.  Because "Democracy !"

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:45:02 PM by 230RN »