Author Topic: The illegal invader caravan thread  (Read 18453 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The illegal invader caravan thread
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »
They need to raise the pay scale to attract workers.

If it’s hard work it is worth more than $12 an hour in this economy.

Gas station attendants make that in some areas.

I know, McD's and warehouse jobs up here pay the same. No one want to pay more for goods and services, so unskilled wages don't raise much.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
Don't forget that the millions of illegals in the U.S. are a major factor in keeping those wages low.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: The illegal invader caravan thread
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
I know, McD's and warehouse jobs up here pay the same. No one want to pay more for goods and services, so unskilled wages don't raise much.
Of course they don't want to pay more. No one ever wants to spend more than the minimum. But in order to stay in business you need things like employees. Importing a cheap labor source isn't a particularly good way to get around having to pay decent rates to attract decent workers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »
Of course they don't want to pay more. No one ever wants to spend more than the minimum. But in order to stay in business you need things like employees. Importing a cheap labor source isn't a particularly good way to get around having to pay decent rates to attract decent workers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I doubt they are going to either, too much of the Birkshire Hathaway mindset, where employees are liabilities and easily replaced or made to work harder for same/less money, be thankful they have a job, and get a expected rate of return year in and year out with the company.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »
Importing a cheap labor source isn't a particularly good way to get around having to pay decent rates to attract decent workers.

It is if there's an endless supply of them. If one doesn't work out, you just fire him/her and hire the next one.

Illegals are especially useful in hazardous occupations like asbestos abatement. The employer doesn't have to waste spend money on annoying legalities like training or personal protective equipment because in the unlikely event the workers find out they're supposed to have training and PPE ... who are they going to complain to?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2018, 03:15:26 AM »
I would agree with you but with the ultra low unemployment in some areas, there is a need to for folks wanting a better life. Hell there is at least 2000 unfilled positions in the area where I live, granted most of them don't pay much more than $10-12 and are hard work, but someone needs to fill those jobs. 

Why not jut bring back slavery instead??

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2018, 06:52:16 AM »

They are. Along with Communism,  where the government owns the means of production.

Ponder that for a second.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2018, 08:10:45 AM »

I still don't know why the government doesn't go after those employee undocumented workers, fine them into bankruptcy by not playing by the rules. Seize assets, they do it when they break other federal laws like manufacturing/distribution on a controlled substance, wire fraud, illegal business practices (like Tyco or Bernie Madoff).

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »
This unskilled labor argument will be interesting in 20 years when robots are running McDonalds and are the main labor force in commercial agriculture.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2018, 09:07:53 AM »
I still don't know why the government doesn't go after those employee undocumented workers, fine them into bankruptcy by not playing by the rules. Seize assets, they do it when they break other federal laws like manufacturing/distribution on a controlled substance, wire fraud, illegal business practices (like Tyco or Bernie Madoff).
They give a lot of money to politicians.  Big Business likes cheap commodity labor.  They don't want to have to deal with competition in the labor market especially for hourly employees.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »

Fine them, yes.  Into Bankruptcy, No.   I have no problem with that.  But at the same time, eliminate the minimum wage.  The economic ladder needs to have bottom rungs. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2018, 11:28:44 AM »
For the businesses that hire illegal aliens

Unwitting hire, be sure, or be spanked: $5000 fine for each illegal alien/month of employment. 

Knowingly hire, Welcome to pauperdom: All financial assets are forfeit and disbursed to any legal employees except executives and officers as compensation for their unemployment.  All physical assets are forfeit and crushed to dust.  All IP assets are cast into the public domain.  All assets of all company executives & officers are seized at a 75% penalty and the proceeds dispersed to the rest of the legal employees.  All executives and officers are forever barred from holding such positions again.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
Haisoos Aitch Christ, are you guys listening to yourselves?  Talk about leftie-commie gooberment domination.

Here's a starting point:

Firmly block illegals, allow documented migrants in to fill in during harvests, etc, let the wages settle to an arm's length negotiated natural level*, get them back home when done.  

Let the free enterprise system work within the parameters of legal immigration, or work permits for the temporary help needed.  

They are supposed to be migrants.

Maybe I need more coffee, but that business of overwhelming punishment seems pretty unwise and fraught with unintended consequences all by itself.

Let not your outrage destroy your wisdom.

Terry

* Meaning no mandated lower level.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »

Here's a starting point:

Firmly block illegals, allow documented migrants in to fill in during harvests, etc, let the wages settle to an arm's length negotiated natural level*, get them back home when done.

We have a program for doing just that. Many (dare I say "most"?) of these (and many other) illegals aren't interested in participating because of that whole "get them back home when done" part.

Quote from: 230RN link=topic=58512.msg1186042#msg1186042 date=1542820789
Maybe I need more coffee, but that business of overwhelming punishment seems pretty unwise and fraught with unintended consequences all by itself.

I have to disagree. There's a reason why the usual suspects prefer to call illegal aliens "undocumented immigrants." Two reasons, in fact, both contained in the simple phrase. One is that the illegals are immigrants, they are not migrants. They don't want to go back home seasonally, and they don't. They want to stay here, taking jobs away from people who are here legally, and siphoning money out of the U.S. economy to send back to their native country. Second, anyone who is here legally has a document to prove that they're here legally. Birth certificate, passport, green card ... something. For every job I've taken or been in the final cut for over the past fifteen (maybe more) years, I have either had to show proof that I'm legally entitled to work in the U.S., or I've been alerted that I will have to produce such documentation if hired.

In fact, that's the law. I don't see how any employer today can possibly claim they "unknowingly" hired an illegal, unless the said illegal had a very well executed counterfeit birth certificate, passport, or green card. Consequently, I'm fully in favor of punishing employers who hire illegals. Those who do often pay them under the table, at less than minimum wage, so they not only prevent legal citizens and legal residents from finding work, they also drive down the prevailing wage for the area.

Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part. When I married my late wife, we jumped through all the hoops to be sure that she would be 100 percent legal when she got here. That kept us apart for six months after the marriage, because I was in the U.S. working and she had to wait in South America until her green card application was processed and approved. To see hordes of illegals who think they have a "right" to skip the system, ignore the laws, and just walk in really [irritates me].
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:58:32 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »
Fine them, yes.  Into Bankruptcy, No.   I have no problem with that.  But at the same time, eliminate the minimum wage.  The economic ladder needs to have bottom rungs. 

If we eliminate the minimum wage, then every employee gets a individual contract with a terms on wage/benefits for the duration of the contract, contracts need to be a minimum of 6 months, maximum 12 months if the job is continuous employment type position. That way an employer can't drop wages on their employees whenever they want, need to wait until contract renewal time.

Salary only to 40 hours, anything over 40 hours must be paid at a minimum of 1.5 the rate per hour in the contract, either by money or by paid leave. Any unused leave has to be paid out in US currency at end of employment.

Layoff would result in 100% several pay of the remainder of the contract.

Then we can get ride of minimum wage laws.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2018, 07:19:27 PM »
For the businesses that hire illegal aliens

Unwitting hire, be sure, or be spanked: $5000 fine for each illegal alien/month of employment. 

Knowingly hire, Welcome to pauperdom: All financial assets are forfeit and disbursed to any legal employees except executives and officers as compensation for their unemployment.  All physical assets are forfeit and crushed to dust.  All IP assets are cast into the public domain.  All assets of all company executives & officers are seized at a 75% penalty and the proceeds dispersed to the rest of the legal employees.  All executives and officers are forever barred from holding such positions again.

I'm a bigger fan of $1000 per day employed per illegal, so 100 days is going to cost you $100k per illegal employee.

Don't crush assets, sell them, legal employees get the proceeds after debts paid.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2018, 07:21:54 PM »
Haisoos Aitch Christ, are you guys listening to yourselves?  Talk about leftie-commie gooberment domination.

No, those who engage in the practice of hiring illegal aliens are defrauding the government and citizens of the US. Let them be burned.

I have seen too much of that crap here in Iowa with the agricultural segment. DeCoster Farms, Agriprocessors, etc. You can Google them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2018, 07:45:11 PM »
If we eliminate the minimum wage, then every employee gets a individual contract with a terms on wage/benefits for the duration of the contract, contracts need to be a minimum of 6 months, maximum 12 months if the job is continuous employment type position. That way an employer can't drop wages on their employees whenever they want, need to wait until contract renewal time.

Salary only to 40 hours, anything over 40 hours must be paid at a minimum of 1.5 the rate per hour in the contract, either by money or by paid leave. Any unused leave has to be paid out in US currency at end of employment.

Layoff would result in 100% several pay of the remainder of the contract.

Then we can get ride of minimum wage laws.

Here I am trying to get the .gov OUT of the labor market, and you are trying to jam more IN. 

I never worked somewhere that I had a contract.  I was always an "At Will" employee, meaning that I could leave anytime I felt or they could get rid of me anytime they felt.   Keep in mind your contract runs both ways.  If the employer can't drop wages or terminate me, then I can't demand higher wages or leave for a better offer until the end of the contract.

How about the employer and employee decide wages, hours, and working conditions.  If any of those change to the employee's dis-satisfaction, he/she is free to leave and move on to bigger and better things.  Same if the employer decides that the employee is not meeting whatever the job requirements are, and yes, the job can change as the market changes.

You sound like someone is afraid to take a risk or be vulnerable.  You seem to demand safety and security.  There is usually little reward in hiding in safety, those who take risks usually reap the greatest rewards.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:22 PM »

You really don't know?  Republican elites *love* illegal aliens because they drive wages down.  Democrat elites love illegals for the illegal votes (and to a lesser extent, the low wages)  Both sides give the ol' middle finger to American workers; the Republicans just give a little lip service to opposing illegals.

Trump is upsetting the apple cart... but he's not upsetting it very much because his party doesn't want him to.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2018, 10:43:22 PM »
They give a lot of money to politicians.  Big Business likes cheap commodity labor.  They don't want to have to deal with competition in the labor market especially for hourly employees.

And the dot coms/high tech love the H1B visa: take a paycut or train your replacement from India.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2018, 11:08:42 PM »
I would agree with you but with the ultra low unemployment in some areas, there is a need to for folks wanting a better life. Hell there is at least 2000 unfilled positions in the area where I live, granted most of them don't pay much more than $10-12 and are hard work, but someone needs to fill those jobs. 

I agree! What this country needs more than anything is a low income, low education, non-English speaking underclass that can be exploited.

If there is a job to be done and the prospective employer cannot find anyone to hire then maybe the employer needs to raise the starting wage rather than importing poverty.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2018, 02:17:36 AM »
Here I am trying to get the .gov OUT of the labor market, and you are trying to jam more IN. 

I never worked somewhere that I had a contract.  I was always an "At Will" employee, meaning that I could leave anytime I felt or they could get rid of me anytime they felt.   Keep in mind your contract runs both ways.  If the employer can't drop wages or terminate me, then I can't demand higher wages or leave for a better offer until the end of the contract.

How about the employer and employee decide wages, hours, and working conditions.  If any of those change to the employee's dis-satisfaction, he/she is free to leave and move on to bigger and better things.  Same if the employer decides that the employee is not meeting whatever the job requirements are, and yes, the job can change as the market changes.

You sound like someone is afraid to take a risk or be vulnerable.  You seem to demand safety and security.  There is usually little reward in hiding in safety, those who take risks usually reap the greatest rewards.

I read your argument for less .gov and I see this

Uranus is a gas giant.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2018, 03:33:01 AM »
I read your argument for less .gov and I see this

You mean like this?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2018, 07:22:02 AM »
It’s funny how when someone calls for less .gov bullshit governing employment the response is always “butbutbut you want child labor!” Or less environmental regs then it’s  “but you want rivers on fire!”
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
You mean like this?

That is family farm labor. Religious even.

Uranus is a gas giant.