Author Topic: Perhaps we need a Federal Voter ID law...  (Read 997 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Perhaps we need a Federal Voter ID law...
« on: October 14, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »
They are not even trying to hide it anymore.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/10/14/they-dont-even-try-to-hide-it-dem-gubernatorial-candidates-strategy-for-the-blue-wave-will-infuriate-you-video/

Maybe it's time to end the state ID bushwa like in CA and IL where illegals are given ID's that "allow" them to vote.

I'm not advocating for a national ID.  Just a law that says "ID's shall not be issued to illegals." and "One must present a valid ID to vote."

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:14:10 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Perhaps weneed a Federal Voter ID law...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 01:59:47 PM »
Sounds good to me. Where do I vote for it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Perhaps we need a Federal Voter ID law...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 01:31:36 AM »
If you are not here legally in this country you do not get to vote.

Why do so many conservatives confuse legal residency with citizenship? People on our side say stupid stuff like the above all the time.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 03:26:36 AM »
Why do so many conservatives confuse legal residency with citizenship? People on our side say stupid stuff like the above all the time.  :facepalm:

Permanent legal residents are allowed to vote in state and local elections that do not require you to be a citizen to vote.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 05:25:04 AM »
Trouble is, there's a tipping point of illegal voters in the general population after which you will never get a strong voter restriction law.

We are rapidly approaching that point nationally, and it has probably already occurred in some states.

So if you're going to get something done on that front, you'd damned well better get it done soon.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »
Trouble is, there's a tipping point of illegal voters in the general population after which you will never get a strong voter restriction law.

We are rapidly approaching that point nationally, and it has probably already occurred in some states.

So if you're going to get something done on that front, you'd damned well better get it done soon.

^^^ This.

It's fairly certain we have already lost any chance of making English the official language. That ship sailed about ten years ago.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 08:08:12 AM »
Well, I'm hoping the MAGA thing will come to the fore and rekindle that sense of National Identity I grew up with.  National Identity, mind you, not Racism.  I'm an American.  Not a Russian/Polish/French/German-American, as in my case.

Just an American.

Terry, 230RN

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 09:14:36 AM »
Gov issued photo id with citizenship verification should absolutely be required for voting in a federal election.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »
Gov issued photo id with citizenship verification should absolutely be required for voting in a federal election.

Also don't make them identical except for very fine printing that differentiates citizens from non-citizens (I'm looking at you, CA).

Especially now that we're going to Real ID, and it appears many states are still going to offer driver's licenses to citizens in both Real ID and standard form. As I mentioned in another topic, starting in JAN, the CA non-real ID license will look identical - exactly identical - for citizens and non-citizens.

Then the only difference between the Real ID license and non-Real ID will be a small marker in the upper right for Real ID, and "Federal Limits Apply" (in fine print) for non-Real ID. Again, either a citizen or non-citizen can carry a "Federal Limits Apply" license, and there is no way to distinguish citizenship. IMO, they should be completely different colors or something else visibly and immediately distinguishable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »
The last time I renewed my driver's license, I wanted to get the RealID version. I was late renewing, so I had to go to the motor vehicle department in person -- which I would have had to do anyway to convert to the RealID license. But I didn't realize that to get RealID I had to provide two forms of ID proving that I'm a citizen. Since I don't routinely carry my passport and birth certificate, I couldn't satisfy that. So my new driver's license isn't RealID compliant. Maybe someday I'll go back and get it replaced.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 06:29:31 AM »

The funny thing is, many years ago, the actor Carroll O'Connor was interviewed by Parade magazine and spoke out for a form of national ID.  I was furious about it at the time, partly for "mark of the Beast" and "Numbering" reasons, but also on General Principles related to "Ihre Papiere, bitte."

Many followup Letters to the Editor agreed with me and it evaporated into another "two-issue issue."

The point here is that abuses of this particular freedom, i.e., the unlawful entry into this country problem and the attendant unlawful voting problem, have completely reversed my position.

Terry, 230RN

REFs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconquista_(Mexico)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Guadalupe_Hidalgo

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:36:27 PM by 230RN »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
There's a reason why the left has consistently thrown all of their litigious weight behind opposing every voter ID law.
There's always another commie plant at the federal level who will file an injunction against state voter ID laws despite the fact they have been upheld at both state and US supreme court levels. They know that A) their job is secure B) their rulings will get overturned, but not in time to cheat another election.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »
And (C) most of their fellow workers would agree loudly with them.  "Democracy," don't you know.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
I hope other states pick up the Ohio method for purging voter rolls.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.