Author Topic: Pittsburgh Synagouge shooting.  (Read 3124 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Pittsburgh Synagouge shooting.
« on: October 27, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/10/27/reports-multiple-casualties-after-shooting-at-pittsburgh-synagogue/

Prayers for those affected.  This might push the Florida Bomber off the news for a day or so, since it's a white guy (In custody) that did he shooting.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Pittsburgh Synagouge shooting.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »
The leftist of twitter are already blaming Trump.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 01:20:37 PM »
Some British papers are reporting it was a white guy with a beard who walked into the synagogue, shouted 'All Jews must die' and opened fire.  Opened fire with what has not yet been specified.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »
Apparently he got in a gun fight with LE, hitting 2 or 3.    When he surrendered they found two handguns on him.  No mention of whatever other firearms he may or my not have had.

Well that didn't take long to occur.  Didn't someone here on APS on a thread predict a mass shooting to occur a couple days ago? 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
Shooter's name doesn't sound Arabic so perhaps not Islamic terrorism, although "All Jews must die" isn't an especially ecumenical statement. It will be interesting to see if they come up with a motive.

Of course, I have the usual questions: Aside from whether or not it was Islamic terrorism, I also need to know if the synagogue had declared itself to be a gun-free zone, and whether the firearm(s) used was/were assault weapon(s).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
According to Fox News,  he had 3 handguns and an "assault rifle,"  and shouted "all Jews must die" before opening up.

Definantly an antisemitic hate crime,  but beyond that,  much haziness remains.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 03:46:02 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/synagogue-attack-suspect-robert-bowers-profile/index.html

He seems anti-Trump.  I haven't heard about the firearms used other then 2 handguns and a rifle, possibly an AK.

I did find this disconcerting...

Bowers has an active license and has made at least six known firearm purchases since 1996, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said. On September 29, Bowers posted photos of his handgun collection on his Gab.com account, which included multiple clips and sights. A rifle and three handguns were found on the scene of the attack, the FBI said.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/27/us/synagogue-attack-suspect-robert-bowers-profile/index.html

He seems anti-Trump.  I haven't heard about the firearms used other then 2 handguns and a rifle, possibly an AK.

I did find this disconcerting...

So this really is Trump's fault...
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 08:36:04 AM »
The NPCs are of course bleating on about ammosexuals and Trump encouraged violence
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 10:07:38 AM »
Another Ben tangent: I know several others here have similar death penalty views to my own - that is, in favor, but only with 100% certainty for heinous crimes, and then SWIFT justice, vs 10 years of appeals first. I think this one qualifies.

I would further (and I'm prepared for flaming), suggest that it doesn't need to be a particularly painless or compassionate death. Sometimes I think the Middle East has the right idea (if unjustly applied). These nutballs seem to do this stuff for notoriety, thinking they will either go down in a blaze of glory or else be captured and be able to read about themselves for years.

I wonder how many of them would have done what they did if they knew the punishment was not "being put to sleep", but hanging, beheading (both quick, but considered "grisly") or perhaps, in karmic justice in this case, stuck in an oven and burned to death. I realize we will never do such things in the US (anymore), and there are good reasons why, but also have to wonder how many potential whackos would think twice if they knew that if caught, they would actually suffer.

In the end though, a swift and painless death penalty for a "100%" crime like this, might be almost as good of a deterrent. Or if not a deterrent, at least the removal of monsters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 11:02:39 AM »
I agree with Ben with respect to whether the death penalty should be continued.  100% certainty of guilt displayed at a trial.  The execution carried out no later than the next day.  Hanging done properly works fine.  Gravity is free and rope is cheap.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/10/28/give-it-a-rest-john-harwood-called-out-for-using-bodies-of-murdered-jews-to-prop-up-his-partisan-hackery/

BTW, can someone clue me in on the decoder needed for "racially coded language"?

Is it this one from this white dog whistle movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_XSShVAnkY
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
IMO, any death penalty should be quick, clean, and relatively painless.  That is better not just for the person being executed, but for those that have to carry it out.  Anything else seems to make it not about justice, but revenge or other motivations. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 12:41:00 AM »
I really torn on this.  (No, not on shooting up a synagogue or other place of worship). 

I'm pretty anti-illegal immigrant.  However, there are people fleeing from places where if they would have stayed they would have been killed.  (Iraq Christians immediately jump to mind.) Plus the people you jump through all the stupid hoops to get either a green card and/or become citizens.  So those folks, true refugees and immigrants I joyfully welcome with open arms.

However, there are many people that claim they are refugee's, like the hoard(s)/caravan(s)) heading north from Honduras/Guatemala.  Last I checked there's no civil war there.  The government isn't rounding up people, any people, and putting them in camps or executing them outright.  So, sorry.  Not Refugees.  You're only coming here for the money.  The fact that Mexico has offered to take you in and give you food, shelter, clothing, and jobs; yet you insist on pushing until you get the US border, just proves that fact.

But I also get where these synagogues are coming from.  Years of persecution, fleeing from war, governments, regimes, even just groups of civilians that want you dead, and pogroms.   I get it.  We've been on the receiving end of all that.  The SS Saint Louis is always in the back of our minds.  That we can't do, what was done to us, we HAVE TO provide refuge.  All the synagogues around here in involved with resettling and aiding refugees.  Whether the congregation is Reform, Conservative or Orthodox, they all are involved.   Yes, we are supposed to do good works and make the world better.   I get it.  I think we just need to tighten up the definition of "refugee".

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 01:19:38 AM »
Yes, we are supposed to do good works and make the world better.   I get it.  I think we just need to tighten up the definition of "refugee".

The .gov has a definition of "refugee," and a program to admit refugees who meet the definition. There is also a process for legal immigration. If churches and synagogues want to help refugees and immigrants, that's fine with me. But help the ones who come in legally.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
I don't like the idea of a bunch of "refugees" being resettled in the US on the whim of whatever President is in office.  That has been done by the tens of thousands or more in the last 20 years.  (I think I maybe understating the number)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
The .gov has a definition of "refugee," and a program to admit refugees who meet the definition. There is also a process for legal immigration. If churches and synagogues want to help refugees and immigrants, that's fine with me. But help the ones who come in legally.

I agree.

FWIW, however, I recently had cause to read up on asylum seeking on the .gov website, and it specifically allows seeking asylum if one is here illegally.

To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status.

Affirmative asylum applicants are rarely detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). You may live in the United States while your application is pending before USCIS. If you are found ineligible, you can remain in the United States while your application is pending with the Immigration Judge. Most asylum applicants are not authorized to work.

There's a step by step breakdown here: https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum/affirmative-asylum-process

Step one is to be physically in the US, or at a US Port of Entry.  That would seem to be almost tailor made for the kind of things the churches/synagogues are doing, i.e. getting refugees here, and then requesting asylum.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »

I wonder how many of them would have done what they did if they knew the punishment was not "being put to sleep", but hanging, beheading (both quick, but considered "grisly") or perhaps, in karmic justice in this case, stuck in an oven and burned to death.

In the end though, a swift and painless death penalty for a "100%" crime like this, might be almost as good of a deterrent. Or if not a deterrent, at least the removal of monsters.

In these types of cases, I don't think the manner of their death after being caught and tried is of any concern to them since they have no expectation of survival anyway.  Perhaps it would be a deterrent if the perpetrator knew that his actions would result in the punishment of people he cared about (if any.)  But that would be barbaric . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
Perhaps it would be a deterrent if the perpetrator knew that his actions would result in the punishment of people he cared about (if any.)  But that would be barbaric . . . .

Or Chinese, or North Korean.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 11:15:21 AM »
Diversity + proximity = conflict

The only thing that will hold it together is an all powerful State.

Even then, that’s just buying time.

IMHO

Be nice if I was wrong about this.

We’ve eliminated all the traditional ties that bind.

We live in cargo cult America.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
Perhaps it would be a deterrent if the perpetrator knew that his actions would result in the punishment of people he cared about (if any.)  But that would be barbaric . . . .
Or Chinese, or North Korean.

As long as we don't charge the family for the bullet, we'd still be slightly better then the Norks or PRC.  ;)

Anyway,  My major concern was how did they know, in less then 12 hours, that he had purchased 6 guns over the past several years....Unless they could look it up quickly, in some type of database....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 11:55:02 AM »

As long as we don't charge the family for the bullet, we'd still be slightly better then the Norks or PRC.  ;)

Anyway,  My major concern was how did they know, in less then 12 hours, that he had purchased 6 guns over the past several years....Unless they could look it up quickly, in some type of database....

Pennsylvania State Police maintains a database of all handgun sales. It's possible they just ran his name through that, got 6 hits for pistols and ran with it.

(18 PA C.S. § 6111)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »

Speaking of NK, would Trump's new buddy in NK like to resettle several thousand Honduran refugees?     =)