Author Topic: Fleeing the US to Escape Student Debt  (Read 1750 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Fleeing the US to Escape Student Debt
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »
But we aren't telling students that. We're telling them "follow your dreams." "Find your passion." That great, you can do those things, but you had better be doing them while also finding "what's going to pay me enough to live".

I think that most students actually get this.  It's the rare student, which is why it is news when a student borrows and spends a quarter million getting a degree in philosophy or English intersectionality literature or such and is utterly screwed after college.

Success isn't guaranteed even after college, but 90% of college students and colleges "get it", more or less.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »
Also good place to knock out your freshman and sophomore year on the cheap. I did that.

I've told both thing one and thing two they can stay at home and go to school.
thing one probably will need to  if he doesn't go into the .mil.  thing 2 is learning to golf so she can scholarship to a "university"...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »
People with "too much" student debt think leaving the US is the best plan to avoid paying it.

I like the story about the guy who got into debt for his BA, then couldn't get work in his major (philosophy) so went to work at a factory. He couldn't afford to pay back the loan so his solution was to go to grad school, accrue more debt, and get a Masters in... comparative literature. So now he's in India pooping into holes in the ground.

Another case where I had to doublecheck that I wasn't reading The Onion. I mean, CNBC wrote this as a serious story, sympathetic to knuckleheads like this.

I don't see a problem. Let the guy and others like him be a drain on some other society.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »
I've told both thing one and thing two they can stay at home and go to school.
thing one probably will need to  if he doesn't go into the .mil.  thing 2 is learning to golf so she can scholarship to a "university"...

Thing 1 in my household is a sophomore in HS and is REALLY good at math and science.
I'm encouraging him to take a hard look at the Navy or Air Force.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 07:38:12 AM »
I have zero sympathy for anybody with “too much student debt”. Nobody held a gun to their heads to take the money

I made a poor choice for my bachelors degree major and have some student debt for it. I accept my fault for taking it and am paying it back. I lament the education system that pushes towards the four year degree but in the end I signed on the line and knew I’d have to repay what I took.

Man up and deal with it. Let a bailout happen and this generation won’t learn a single *expletive deleted*ing thing about personal responsibility and accountability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!