Author Topic: Amazon Tiny Houses  (Read 9139 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Amazon Tiny Houses
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »
I would love a replica off a stone CCC cabin for a vacation house.

I have found a website that actually has plans for CCC buildings:

"CCC" ... translation, please?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 12:24:33 PM »
Civilian conservation corps
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 12:25:30 PM »
Civilian Conservation Corps.

Part of the Depression-era New Deal.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 01:08:21 PM »
Ooh. My wife was talking about something along these lines for a office/studio, since we have zero workspace for her in our house.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 01:41:27 PM »
I have seen some gorgeous stone cabins and other structures in Washington state parks and other state facilities. They were generally built with rounded river rock from that location all painstakingly fitted and mortared together.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
Wood stove for heating and cooking....hence the desire for a loft.

One of the places where I put in an offer in Idaho had the killer wood cookstove/oven in the kitchen. Of course they specifically had a notation they were taking it with them when they moved, even though it must have weighed a million pounds.

I would love to have one of those as the main wood stove. The one in that house was placed just at the edge of the kitchen in an open floorplan, so it was a great location to actually use it for cooking, and also to distribute heat through most of the house.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out where you put the furnace and AC in those tiny houses.

In our 30' travel trailer, the furnace was the size of a suitcase and fit under the couch.  It had floor ducts in each room and was quite cozy, even in sub-zero weather.

No tiny houses for us, though.  We lived in that trailer for 11 months while the house was being built.  When we moved into the new house, my wife said "I'm done camping".  Three minute showers and a stove way too small to actually cook on.  And if you did make a pot of soup in the winter, every window was dripping with condensation.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »
Ooh. My wife was talking about something along these lines for a office/studio, since we have zero workspace for her in our house.

That seems to be a popular option nowadays for people with the space. You get a detached workspace to kind of separate yourself from work and home, and it can double as a guest house to give both you and your guests some space.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
One of the places where I put in an offer in Idaho had the killer wood cookstove/oven in the kitchen. Of course they specifically had a notation they were taking it with them when they moved, even though it must have weighed a million pounds.

I would love to have one of those as the main wood stove. The one in that house was placed just at the edge of the kitchen in an open floorplan, so it was a great location to actually use it for cooking, and also to distribute heat through most of the house.

I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.shoptinyhouses.com/products/spruce-cylinder-stove-by-colorado-cylinder-stoves?variant=1055245041691&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw39reBRBJEiwAO1m0OdWhB2QuAoX1657jm8kHOA53eGFcG2DnWVc_AwfUdLhLMBd8bMgq6BoCP4EQAvD_BwE

The standard wood burning stove from the 1800's would be a little on the large size for a tiny house/cabin.  Again, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a hunting cabin/vacation home in the woods.  Not for "Let's live here until we die" perspective.    =D =D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:43:44 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/colorado-cylinder-stoves-stove-mat-tent-shield?a=1312991&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=CjwKCAjw39reBRBJEiwAO1m0OW1Sxd_bou-Hx8CupLoQzU9yw_yfHgTMeAc4NBTp-1Z-94UEZilWYBoCHWwQAvD_BwE

The standard wood burning stove from the 1800's would be a little on the large size for a tiny house/cabin.  Again, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a hunting cabin/vacation home in the woods.  Not for "Let's live here until we die" perspective.    =D =D

Yeah, the one I saw in that house would definitely take up 25% of the space in a tiny house.  :laugh:

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
I love the idea of the tiny house but I suspect I would hate the reality of living in one. I have entertained the idea of somehow, someway, putting one in my back yard and using it for guests and/or AirBnB.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »
That seems to be a popular option nowadays for people with the space. You get a detached workspace to kind of separate yourself from work and home, and it can double as a guest house to give both you and your guests some space.

Yes, I have a fairly small house (~1100 sq ft) with 5 people living in it... but also just shy of 1.5 acre of land. My wife wants the barn to work in which is about 20'x20' but I need that to store the tractor, the motorcycles, and to do all of my metalworking. Her business is incorporated, so it makes sense for me to build it and have her INC rent it from me, rather than have her rent a small studio in town for a lot more money.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 04:31:28 PM »

Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »
I live in an old school prefabricated tiny house.

It's called a trailer.

The thing about those tiny houses is it's only a little less for the sticker price (which doesn't include foundation), less square feet and a layout that sucks for more than one person (unless they are a very close couple) than a traditional trailer (which comes with the hot water heater, HVAC and appliances)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
A tiny house is just a trailer without the stigma
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
A more vertical potbelly stove would take up less room. https://www.acehardware.com/departments/heating-and-cooling/wood-and-pellet-stoves/wood-and-pellet-stoves/4666590?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpoKe_r6s3gIVkQOGCh14sgv8EAQYASABEgJsCPD_BwE

Yeah, but I like to eat hot meals.  With that, you can have one pan or small skillet going.  On the one I linked to you can have a couple things going at different temps.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 05:55:22 PM »

pretty much
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »

... and on a dollars-per-square-foot basis, you're usually better off with the trailer.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »

... and on a dollars-per-square-foot basis, you're usually better off with the trailer.

But is the build quality of a tiny house better than a trailer?  We have several friends who own trailers and RV's, and they can tell some horror stories about them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2018, 07:27:56 PM »
My 32' boat has a solid fuel heater similar to this-https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2061076|2061078|2061091&id=48881

That is in addition to the AC/reverse cycle heat system. I't also got a LPG 3 burner cook top/oven.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »

https://www.shoptinyhouses.com/products/spruce-cylinder-stove-by-colorado-cylinder-stoves?variant=1055245041691&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw39reBRBJEiwAO1m0OdWhB2QuAoX1657jm8kHOA53eGFcG2DnWVc_AwfUdLhLMBd8bMgq6BoCP4EQAvD_BwE

The standard wood burning stove from the 1800's would be a little on the large size for a tiny house/cabin.  Again, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a hunting cabin/vacation home in the woods.  Not for "Let's live here until we die" perspective.    =D =D

We have a cast iron boxwood stove at MN deer camp, it will roast you out of a 750sq ft cabin. I found the stove for $20 on craigslist a few years ago. It replaced a oil barrel wood stove that finally burned a hole in the bottom. It likes to eat the wood since it has a small fire chamber but you can damper it down to get about 3-4 hours of heat out of it.

Cooking on a heating wood stove sucks, hard to regulate the temps. Cooking on a wood cook stove is awesome once you figure out how to run the grates, intake and damper, but you got to constantly feed it wood and it doesn't do a great job for heating since you are burning small pieces of wood.

The stove you linked to its like the stoves you use in wall tents, they consume a lot of wood for their size and don't hold heat like a heavy cast iron stoves does. Your going to be constantly feeding it wood.

Someday I do want a cabin in the woods with a wood cook stove for the winter months.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:41:57 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2018, 10:34:09 PM »
A column stove would be perfect for a place like these.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 10:42:13 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2018, 10:47:17 PM »
A column stove would be perfect for a place like these.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

anyone still make those?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2018, 11:44:35 PM »
Can someone explain this craze, please? I mean, I get that it makes for lower utility costs, but what will you do with the money you save? You can't collect widgets (no room), make widgets (no room), and how many hobbies can you pursue, with no room to store equipment/materials/tools? Not to mention no room for kids. Is this mostly for writers, or people that do all their work on an ipad? Is it for people saving to get a real house? Is it for business owners that work 18 hours a day, and only come home to sleep, and shower? Is it for people constantly on the road?

'Cuz I live in a very small house, and it's pretty far from ideal.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife