Author Topic: Trump picks a fight with Social Media  (Read 2785 times)

dogmush

• friend
Trump picks a fight with Social Media
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:47:00 PM »
I saw this floating around, and we weren't talking about it yet so here we go:

After being fact checked on Twitter, the Pres has signed an EO (that will surely be litigated) aimed at upsetting the current status quo of Twitter, Facebook, and Google.

It talks a fair amount about the Communications Decency Act and the "Publisher" vs. "Platform" argument that we've been having for a while now.

As far as the meat and potatoes, it looks like it attempts to restrict Fed.gov funds being spent on the platforms, it sics the FTC on them for unfair or deceptive trade practices (one assumes for impossible to predict demonetizations and TOS violations), and has the AG look at them for deceptive and/or discriminatory practices with an eye towards proposing legislation.

I think a lot of this he'll lose on but he knows that.  I assume he's doing it to make a bunch of noise for the elections and set himself up as the guy fighting against Big Tech, who a lot of Americans are fed up with. It'll be interesting to see if he can bait the left politicians (as opposed to college students) to go on record against Free Speech.

Text of the EO is here: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/politics/read-social-media-executive-order/index.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump picks a fight with Social Media
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »

As far as the meat and potatoes, it looks like it attempts to restrict Fed.gov funds being spent on the platforms, it sics the FTC on them for unfair or deceptive trade practices (one assumes for impossible to predict demonetizations and TOS violations), and has the AG look at them for deceptive and/or discriminatory practices with an eye towards proposing legislation.

I think a lot of this he'll lose on but he knows that.  I assume he's doing it to make a bunch of noise for the elections and set himself up as the guy fighting against Big Tech, who a lot of Americans are fed up with. It'll be interesting to see if he can bait the left politicians (as opposed to college students) to go on record against Free Speech.

Text of the EO is here: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/politics/read-social-media-executive-order/index.html

I don't like EOs used in this way, but I think you summed up what he's trying to do. I think big tech and the very political people in executive positions in these organizations that feel they know what is best for me need their asses kicked. I'm not sure this is the way to do it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:11:54 PM »

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 07:35:52 PM »
He has a pen and phone. I’m not a fan of EOs like this, but what’s good for the goose is good for the gander or EOs should have be more limited and reigned in a long time ago. Or maybe start now, but I also don’t like how stuff always needs to be limited under Republican vs Dem admins vs both.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:59:24 PM »

It talks a fair amount about the Communications Decency Act and the "Publisher" vs. "Platform" argument that we've been having for a while now.

This particular difference has been abused by social media platforms for years.  They have acted as publishers and enjoyed liability protection as platforms.  Courts and others have largely ignored it.  I don't have a problem with an EO looking at that.  It should have already happened years ago.

That said, I would rather just get rid of that law.  Let them handle the lawsuits without that protection. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 10:13:56 PM »
he's doing it to make a bunch of noise

Don't worry about those meat packing plants shutting down, there's an endless supply of red meat for the hungry base.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 02:31:04 AM »
i happened to listen to NPR on the way home from work, there were commercials or crap rock elsewhere.
the expert they had on, was all like "this is not the way things are done, potus should not write laws with EO"
I was all like yelling. "yeah, unless D.A.C.A and chitchat".... well, i didn't say "chitchat" but, like,you know.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:25:45 AM »
Well, this might be another of those incidents where I come out as not liking something Trump does, and it turns out to be a 3D chess move again. Twitter looks like they're just gonna start throwing "warnings" on every Trump tweet out of spite, which is only going to get Trump sympathy with anyone without TDS.

While many, including, I'm sure many here, might disagree with it, "When the looting starts, the shooting starts" is a Trump statement that actually puts him on my good side. I prefer that to, "let rioters do whatever they want."

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/29/twitter-slaps-a-warning-on-president-trumps-tweet-on-the-minneapolis-riots/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 08:31:23 AM »
Twitter is an enemy platform.

Trump personally invaded enemy territory and has been using their own tool against their political agenda.

This escalation was bound to happen.

Will Twitter double down or back down?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 09:43:36 AM »
Twitter is an enemy platform.

Trump personally invaded enemy territory and has been using their own tool against their political agenda.

This escalation was bound to happen.

Will Twitter double down or back down?

You have to know they were working on what to do about that leading up to the election.  However, they probably were scared of Trump taking any sort of leadership role in dealing with the riots. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »
I was all like yelling. "yeah, unless D.A.C.A and chitchat".... well, i didn't say "chitchat" but, like,you know.

You know the thing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 10:35:58 AM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 12:40:01 PM »
Was Trump fact-checked, or was he found to be promoting hate-facts?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 01:11:40 PM »
Was Trump fact-checked, or was he found to be promoting hate-facts?

Trump was "glorifying violence"

I think there are good arguments on both sides of the debate about publisher versus platform- I have no idea who is "right" here- but the disgusting behavior of tech companies renders me incapable of feeling the least bit sympathetic to them.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 04:32:53 PM »
Twitter and facebook are pretty obviously editing content.

Of course obvious probably isn't good enough to call them publishers.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 05:47:27 PM »
Heshould just tweet what mayor Daley said, the only good thing he ever said. Shoot to wound looters, shoot to kill arsonists.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »
When I heard " When the looting starts the shooting starts I, like most everyone thought he meant that looters would be shot " ... but … perhaps he meant that after the rioters start looting they soon begin shooting … meaning the looters and rioters are the shooters, which considering that after the looting started the shooting began soon after could be what the President was referencing.  Actually makes more sense than to think he was suggesting looters be shot ... another example of taking the worst possible meaning to the Presidents words ... press wouldn't do that now would they.

[popcorn]
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
Heshould just tweet what mayor Daley said, the only good thing he ever said. Shoot to wound looters, shoot to kill arsonists.
I was a youngster growing up in Chicago at that time. Daley said that what was happening in Detroit - massive looting and arson, thugs shooting at fire trucks, etc. - was NOT going to happen in Chicago. As I recall, his order was shoot to MAIM looters, shoot to kill arsonists. The riots and arson that were just starting to ramp up stopped almost as if someone flipped a switch, despite the outraged rhetoric of the usual suspects. (Jesse Jackson et.al.)

I also note that Chicago didn't suffer a spate of "Devil's Night" arson and rioting for years afterwards the way Detroit did, either.

I remember that as very possibly the only GOOD thing Daley said/did during his tenure as mayor.

Too bad Minneapolis doesn't seem to have any Rooftop Koreans . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 03:07:04 PM »
Ted Cruz Calls for Criminal Investigation of Twitter – Alleging Violation of Iran Sanctions
https://bongino.com/ted-cruz-calls-for-criminal-investigation-of-twitter-alleging-violation-of-iran-sanctions/

In a letter on Friday to Attorney General William Barr and Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin, Cruz centered on the accounts of Ali Khamenei, supreme leader of the Islamic Republic, and Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif.

Twitter allows top Iranian leaders to have accounts on its platform, which Cruz said violates sanctions in place to prevent providing services or goods to that nation’s officials. Twitter is blocked in Iran.

More than one way to skin a cat, as I have heard people say.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 04:05:24 PM »
Tag.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 05:22:22 PM »
Ted Cruz Calls for Criminal Investigation of Twitter – Alleging Violation of Iran Sanctions
https://bongino.com/ted-cruz-calls-for-criminal-investigation-of-twitter-alleging-violation-of-iran-sanctions/

More than one way to skin a cat, as I have heard people say.

Ted's a smart guy, I wonder if he is still in touch with the JFK assassination team ;)

twitter is the enemy, so is facebook even tho i still currently on it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 06:18:36 PM »
[snip]
I remember that as very possibly the only GOOD thing Daley said/did during his tenure as mayor.

Too bad Minneapolis doesn't seem to have any Rooftop Koreans . . .

They would be arrested here (and the looters not.)  Minnesota has a castle doctrine, but the police have recently said it only applies in your home.  I'm not sure how true that is, but doesn't have to be true for them to arrest you.
"It's good, though..."

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 09:31:22 PM »
A saw a sign on a business that said please don't burn, there are kids upstairs.  If true, there's your castle

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »
A saw a sign on a business that said please don't burn, there are kids upstairs.  If true, there's your castle

Unfortunately, that sign would be effective only if the rioters could read ... a fact not in evidence.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 01:34:56 PM »
They would be arrested here (and the looters not.)  Minnesota has a castle doctrine, but the police have recently said it only applies in your home.  I'm not sure how true that is, but doesn't have to be true for them to arrest you.
Might become extremely dangerous for the boys in blue if they came to be viewed as a security detail for the looters and arsonists. Hope they see it and don't go there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:51:21 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain