Author Topic: The cut throat world of being a computer science major  (Read 1249 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The cut throat world of being a computer science major
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/the-hard-part-of-a-computer-science-major-can-be-getting-into-class/

Everyone apparently thinks the quick road to riches now is to be a computer science major.  Good luck finding a program with room to take you, however.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The cut throat world of being a computer science major
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:49:18 AM »
And... in a few years of jamming the pipeline with computer science majors there will be so many in the job market they will be a dime a dozen.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 11:27:01 AM »
And... in a few years of jamming the pipeline with computer science majors there will be so many in the job market they will be a dime a dozen.
But we need more H1B visa workers!

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
But we need more H1B visa workers!

This.  I thought computer sci was a terrible field because you were easily replaced with immigrants, with the connivance of congress...   ???

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »
Computer Science was supposed to be big in the early 90's when I started college (at least students were told that).  I guess it was okay for a while during the dot.com boom, but it seems to me it was never a great way to go.

I recall people not wanting to do petroleum engineering at the time, but in hindsight, that was probably a good choice and has been in demand. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »
^^^ Have you seen the compensation rates for Google, Amazon, Facebook, et al?  Not hard to make $100k fresh out of school and $200k with 3-5 years experience.  Good ones can top $350k by 30.  And that includes H1B workers.  Granted you'll have to live in SF or Seattle for those payscales but oh well.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »
^^^I am aware of those payscales and I think of how I compare, with 35 years of experience and a legal, graduate science and business degree.  And some kid fresh out of school with a BS beats my salary by 50%.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »
^^^I am aware of those payscales and I think of how I compare, with 35 years of experience and a legal, graduate science and business degree.  And some kid fresh out of school with a BS beats my salary by 50%.

Sure but you didn't have to sell your soul.
How does even $350K in SF compare to $150K in a normal part of the country? Will that even allow someone to buy a nice house within 50 miles of where they work?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 06:58:38 PM »
Dude has a law degree. He doesn’t sell souls, he buys them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 07:38:44 PM »
crap, missed that.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 09:03:11 AM »
Apparently about 70% of tech workers in Silicon Valley are foreign born. 

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »

Coal mines are hiring.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 11:39:40 AM »
Coal mines are hiring.
“Learn to cough!”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 11:43:27 AM »

How does even $350K in SF compare to $150K in a normal part of the country? Will that even allow someone to buy a nice house within 50 miles of where they work?

1 bedroom 850 sqft condo near downtown San Francisco for only $1.2m.  Comes with one parking space!

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »
1 bedroom 850 sqft condo near downtown San Francisco for only $1.2m.  Comes with one parking space!

I was going to be outraged and then I saw the parking space was included.   

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 10:27:21 PM »
Son2 & family were paying >$3,000/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment in San Mateo, (just south of SF), which was going to increase at renewal time.  They moved to Washington last week.