Author Topic: Faux Wood Paint  (Read 898 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Faux Wood Paint
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
Anyone here have any experience?

I just built a bar with some reclaimed wood as an anniversary present for my wife. The top, front, and sides are absolutely beautiful.

However, the backside was the frame for it and, while not terrible looking, is terribly unfinished, and not matching the beautiful oak look of the front.

I had been weighing how to deal with the back (hide it in a cabinet, cover parts with some of the leftover pieces of the reclaimed wood) when I wondered... hey, do they have paint that looks like wood finish?

I discovered several home improvement sites that show you the techniques, and I'm planning to try it myself, but thought I'd solicit for anyone with experience here.

(Otherwise, I'll check in later with my results.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Faux Wood Paint
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »
Pics?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »
I have not had good luck with such faux finishes, and my suggestion would be oak veneer.

That said, early in my career as an architect the firm I was working for designed a major addition to the U.S. headquarters of a European company (basically tripled the size of the building). The entrance lobby was lozenge-shaped, oak-paneled, and was to remain. BUT ... on one side there was an alcove with a door to a small office. That was going away, so we needed to fill in the alcove and match the appearance of the oak paneling, which was probably 40 years old at the time.

I was handling most of the field inspections on the project, and for the longest time I would arrive on site, walk into the lobby, and find the alcove patched with sheetrock and unfinished. I kept asking when and how they were going to finish that, and the answer was always, "Don't worry about it." And then one day I walked in, and the alcove patch had disappeared! I mean it was GONE -- I knew exactly where it was, and from six feet away you couldn't tell anything had ever been done to that section of the wall. I asked the project manager for the contractor how they had managed to do such a good job in the one week since I was last on site.

He smiled and said, "Scotty."

Scotty was their lead painter, an old Scotsman who knew how to do faux finishes. The patch wasn't oak veneer at all, it was paint on sheetrock. I was blown away. But I've seen "columns" painted on walls in European palaces that looked like real marble from two feet away, so it can be done. But I doubt an amateur is going to be happy with the results.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:03:58 PM »

Finished (mostly, i need to grout the tile and touch up some spots) product.

Various stages of completion:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:21:04 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »
The only person who is going to see the backside is the bartender. I would use pine plywood for the shelves and just pine stain/poly the carcass.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:07:51 PM »
The only person who is going to see the backside is the bartender. I would use pine plywood for the shelves and just pine stain/poly the carcass.

It's hard to find even half-decent pine plywood. Pine (and fir) plywood is generally construction grade. Some years ago I used 3/4" pine plywood to make the prototype for a printer stand. It's functional, but not pretty. I still have it and use it. For the final version, which was for my then-girlfriend, I used birch plywood, and it came out looking very nice.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
It's hard to find even half-decent pine plywood. Pine (and fir) plywood is generally construction grade. Some years ago I used 3/4" pine plywood to make the prototype for a printer stand. It's functional, but not pretty. I still have it and use it. For the final version, which was for my then-girlfriend, I used birch plywood, and it came out looking very nice.

I have no problem finding B grade pine plywood, A grade is sometimes in stock, but usually a special order. I just lined a closet with B grade plywood, looks really nice with a couple coats of poly. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
I have no problem finding B grade pine plywood, A grade is sometimes in stock, but usually a special order. I just lined a closet with B grade plywood, looks really nice with a couple coats of poly.  

I can find plenty of B-grade pine plywood. I just happen tho think it looks like crap. That's what I used for my prototype printer stand.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »
I can find plenty of B-grade pine plywood. I just happen tho think it looks like crap. That's what I used for my prototype printer stand.

Western Larch makes the best softwood plywood in my opinion. Softwood=conifer, hardwood=deciduous.

Uranus is a gas giant.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »
You could just use a bit of wood filler where necessary, and then a bunch of cabinet paper over top. Just be careful in the selection, lest it look too 'gift wrapped'.  =D
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »
You might be able to find self adhesive paper with a wood finish.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
You might be able to find self adhesive paper with a wood finish.

Oh sweeet jeebus please no!

That stuff is horrible!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
Real wood veneer is cheap, easy to find, and not at all hard to apply.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »
Yeah if you want nice wood look on cheap wood, go vaneer. All the time every time over the paint stuff IMO.

Now, also IMO, since the only person seeing the back is the person back there, I'd opt to just paint it black or something. Do a nice job, of course, but I wouldn't over think it or go crazy. But that's just what I'd do. As said above, if you really want to go with nice wood look I'd go with vaneer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »
I did a steel entry door with a wood grain kit once- it turned out really well.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
Constantine's sells everything you need to do veneering.

http://www.constantines.com/

Some places also sell self-adhesive veneers, basically peel & stick, but I've heard multiple reports of them detaching over time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.