Author Topic: Whisky newbie wants recommendations.  (Read 1317 times)

peteinct

• friend
Whisky newbie wants recommendations.
« on: September 02, 2019, 03:39:04 PM »
everyone, I am a whisky newbie who would like some brands to try. I like jack daniels for the infrequent times I have had whisky. I didn't like sweet flavors i.e. wild turkey or southern comfort. Does anyone have some suggestions for me? Cheaper ones would be better for me as I wont buy an expensive bottle just for a taste. Thanks, Pete

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Whisky newbie wants recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:46:07 PM »
So as a newbie you're not expected to know, but you're looking at a wide array of whiskies. Bourbons, Ryes, Scotch, Irish single malts, etc. If you have an idea of category, that would help us with recommendations.

To start, as I often say around here, High West whiskies have become my favorite go-tos in the American whiskey scene. Their double rye (a mix of young and old ryes) is only ~$30/bottle and tastes better to me than many $60 whiskies I have had.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 03:50:28 PM »
Kirkland (Costco) Canadian whisky is the best deal out there.  It's good (tastes about like Crown Royal) and it's relatively cheap; about $20 for a handle.

Elijah Craig is a very good American whiskey.  I don't remember exactly what style it is, but I don't think it's bourbon.  [edit: it is bourbon]

My favorite is Wild Turkey 101 proof Rye.  I like it better than some much more expensive ones.  Alas, they don't make it anymore.  :'(
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »
How do you like your whiskey?  Neat, rocks, mixed, cocktails?

Try a few videos from these guys.  Educational and entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoeIPrIXUOw
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 04:08:58 PM »
Makers Mark. (It's a Bourbon)

High West was fine, but it's Makers Mark 46 that is the best to my taste.  
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »
My sippin' Scotch whisky at the moment is a 12 year old Speyside single malt called Glen Moray. It runs about $35 a fifth here in NC at the area ABC stores.
Smooth and flavorful, especially after it's been open a week or so.  A number of the reviews I've read say it is a good Scotch whisky for beginners.  Since I am also a beginner Scotch drinker, I tend to agree with that assessment.
I've also had a few more expensive single malts, Glenmorangie The Original being one of them.  It runs about $75 a fifth here in the ABC stores.  Not bad at all, worth the money to this newbie.  Glenmorangie also makes The Lasanta, a few dollars more, and very nice.
Their Nectar d'Or is in the same price category as The Lasanta, and is also quite good.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:12:07 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 05:10:55 PM »
Ben, Is there an overview of the different styles and how they should taste? When I drink whisky it is either on the rocks or as a shot. It just happens that sometimes
I like a shot or a glass of some. Pete

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »
Here's a start:

http://whiskeymuse.com/whiskey-for-beginners/

Sippin' whiskey is gonna be a whole new ball game for you. There are plenty of whiskies I'll happily drink mixed, and even bad whiskey is pretty easy to get down with a quick shot. Taking your time makes the good, or bad, flavors really come out. Good and bad being kinda subjective. I love smoky Islay Scotches, while others can't stand them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 06:58:55 PM »
Not much of a hard liquor guy but my buddies who are keep mentioning Eagle Rare.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »
For Scotch, I favor the islay variants over the highlands types.  Costco is currently carrying Laphroaig at $30 a bottle, which is a screaming deal.  "Like kissing a mermaid that just ate BBQ" is the schtick, and it's an apt description.  Very peaty, dark, rich and complex.

For Japanese, I like Iwai Traditions (white label, not the blue label).  This is a bit more expensive at about $50 a bottle at most liquor stores.  Japanese whiskey lacks consistency (to my palate, at least).  There's not really a theme to it as a national class of whiskey, unlike Irish/Scotch/Bourbon/etc.  I can't stand Suntori Toki, for instance.  Way too sweet, to much corn polish flavor to it (at least as I perceive it).

Have you tried Rye?  Bulleit Rye is pretty trustworthy for an unadulterated, straight Rye for a good value.  Some Ryes wind up with too much after-flavoring... Pendleton is vanilla-syrupy to me.  Templeton is good, too... and Dickle.  Neither is too expensive.

Being that everything tastes better at 7000 feet elevation and colder weather, I do most of my really cheap whiskey drinking while camping.  Evan Williams, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels.  Beam tends to give me a headache that the other two don't.  I can't say I've explored the Bourbon world so far.

Irish:  I favor Jamison over Bushmills.  Probably my favorite Irish I've come across thus far though, is Red Breast.  Tullamore Dew is decent for the price.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 07:49:17 PM »
When a kraut relative was visiting last year, her boyfriend turned me onto Sexton Irish Single Malt. Very, very smooth, and only $30-something a bottle.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 08:26:40 PM »
For inexpensive bourbon, try Four Roses.

For Scotch,  it's hard to go wrong with Glenmorangie 10 year.  Nice easy going Highland single malt.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 10:18:16 PM »
Redbreast
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Whisky newbie wants recommendations.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
Currently sipping on a small glass of Woodford Reserve.

My son recently turned me on to it.

Is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 11:03:30 PM »
Kirkland (Costco) Canadian whisky is the best deal out there.  It's good (tastes about like Crown Royal) and it's relatively cheap; about $20 for a handle.

Elijah Craig is a very good American whiskey.  I don't remember exactly what style it is, but I don't think it's bourbon.  [edit: it is bourbon]

My favorite is Wild Turkey 101 proof Rye.  I like it better than some much more expensive ones.  Alas, they don't make it anymore.  :'(

+1 on the Kirkland Canadian.  I also have a taste for the Kirkland Scotch at about $18 for a handle.  I keep an old-fashioned tumbler with whiskey stones in the bedroom bar fridge filled with either the Scotch or the Canadian. After work, it's drink, refill, and chill for the next night.  They are a good, solid day to day night cap.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »
We got a public house here called "Brix", just opened recently and you can get whisky or wine flights. A whisky flight is 3 to 4 glasses of .5 oz whisky each, price varies on the whisky selection. Great way to try different whiskies without popping for a $80 bottle.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536