Author Topic: How to get women shut out of scientific discoveries or More Fake News  (Read 2609 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
https://bigleaguepolitics.com/woman-who-media-claims-created-black-hole-image-contributed-0-26-of-code/

The press has been giving the credit to a woman on the team that created the first black hole picture.

"Bouman's algorithm" "Bouman's team" and the like.

Her contribution? .26% of the code. No, not twenty-six, .26.

This will make at least some scientists (remember, everything is at the margin) question whether they want to work with women. I.e. "It won't matter how little she does or how much I do, the press is going to give her all the credit."

This female-worship is insane.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zahc

• friend
Re: How to get women shut out of scientific discoveries or More Fake News
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:06:31 PM »
Women look better in pictures.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »
Women look better in pictures.

Yep. Here are images of some women scientists to prove it, from an article in Smithsonian magazine.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
https://bigleaguepolitics.com/woman-who-media-claims-created-black-hole-image-contributed-0-26-of-code/

The press has been giving the credit to a woman on the team that created the first black hole picture.

This will make at least some scientists (remember, everything is at the margin) question whether they want to work with women. I.e. "It won't matter how little she does or how much I do, the press is going to give her all the credit."

Why are you being so racist?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 10:57:18 PM »

Depends on what the 0.26% is.

If it's a novel mathematical formula to calculate results, it's brilliant and indispensable.  If it's ODBC calls to database servers and a series of aggregations and work queuing cursors, it's dross and can be contributed by any out of work journalist working on their home copy of "Learn to Code."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 11:55:21 PM »
Hush youse guys.  Don't you know it's International Womyns month ??  So anything that happens this month is because "Grrrrl Power!!!!"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:50:45 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 12:04:14 AM »
The narrative!

Never forget that it MUST fit the narrative.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 12:12:23 AM »

This pretty much encapsulates the explicit misogyny that women in STEM in particular deal with every day.  I think you should go make this exact same comment to your HR department and see where it gets you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:44:20 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 01:00:22 AM »
Apparently the story is "Fake news"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 09:22:50 AM »
can be contributed by any out of work journalist working on their home copy of "Learn to Code."

That little snippet right there, is worth keeping around and re-using somewhere.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »
A friend shared this post with me via FB. All a quote via one Misty S. Boyer:

There's a lot of news going on about the "black hole girl" right now, and how she's being given too much credit for her role in the historic first image of a black hole. Because this is too important, I want to set the record straight.

Once Katie Bouman became the "face" of the black hole photo, and articles began to call her "the woman behind the black hole photo", an assortment of people that I'm strongly inclined to call incels but won't decided to figure out just how much of a role she had in it. Why? You'd have to ask them. Something about her attractiveness, youthfulness, and femaleness disturbed them to the point where they had to go digging.

And after digging, they found Andrew Chael, who wrote an algorithm, and put his algorithm online. Andrew Chael worked on the black hole photo as well. And because people kept saying that Katie Bouman wrote "the algorithm", these people decided that "the algorithm" in question must be Chael's.

So they looked at Chael's GitHub repository and checked the history. The history showed that Andrew Chael made 850,000 commits to the GitHub repository, while Katie Bouman made only 2,400.

"Oh my god!" they all said. "He did almost all of the work on the algorithm and yet she's the one getting all of the credit!"

They dug a little deeper - but not much - and discovered that the algorithm that "ultimately" generated the world-famous photo was created a different man, named Mareki Honma.

"She's taken the credit from two men!" they gasped. "Feminism and the PC media is destroying everything!"

There were, of course, those who tried to be kind. "She's always said that this was a team effort," they said. "We don't blame her, we blame the media. She didn't ask to become the poster girl of a team project she barely contributed to."

Meanwhile, Andrew Chael - a gay man - tweeted in defense of her. He thanked people for congratulating him on the work he'd spent years on but clarified that if they were doing so as a part of a sexist attack on Katie Bouman, they should go away and reconsider their lives. He said that his work couldn't have happened without Katie.

And it turns out that he was the one who took the viral photo of Bouman, specifically because he didn't want her contributions to be lost to history

So I decided to find out for myself what Katie Bouman's actual contributions were. As a programmer, I'm well aware that the number of GitHub commits means nothing without context. And Chael himself clarified that the lines being counted in the commits were from automatic commits of large data files. The actual software was made up of 68,000 lines, and though he didn't count how many he did personally, someone else assessed that he wrote about 24,000 of those.

Whether 68,000 or 24,000-- it's more than 2,400 right? Why call it "her" algorithm, then?

Because there's more than one algorithm being referenced here. These people just don't realize it.

I'll work my way backward because it's easier to explain that way.

The photo that everyone is looking at, the world famous black hole photo? It's actually a composite photo. It was generated by an algorithm credited to Mareki Honma. Honma's algorithm, based on MRI technology, is used to "stitch together" photos and fill in the missing pixels by analyzing the surrounding pixels.

But where did the photos come from that are composited into this photo?

The photos making up the composite were generated by 4 separate teams, led by Katie Bouman, Andrew Chael, Kazu Akiyama, Michael Johnson, and Jose L Gomez. Each team was given a copy of the black hole data and isolated from each other. Between the four of them, they used two techniques - an older, traditional one called CLEAN, and a newer one called RML - to generate an image.

The purpose of this division and isolation of teams was deliberately done to test the accuracy of the black hole data they were all using. If four isolated teams using different algorithms all got similar results, that would indicate that the data itself was accurate.

And lo, that's exactly what happened. The data wasn't just good, it's the most accurate of its kind. 5 petabytes (millions of billions of bytes) worth of accurate black hole data.

But where did the data come from?

Eight radio telescopes around the world trained their attention on the night sky in the direction of this black hole. The black hole is some ungodly distance away, a relative speck amidst billions of celestial bodies. And what the telescopes caught was not only the data of the black hole but the data of everything else as well.

Data that would need to be sorted.

Clearly, it's not the sort of thing you can sort by hand. To separate the wheat (one specific black hole's data) from the chaff (literally everything else around and between here and there) required an algorithm that could identify and single it out, calculations that were crunched across 800 CPUs on a 40Gbit/s network. And given that the resulting black hole-specific data was 5 petabytes (hundreds of pounds worth of hard drives!) you can imagine that the original data set was many times larger.

The algorithm that accomplished this feat was called CHIRP, short for "Continuous High-resolution Image Reconstruction using Patch priors".

CHIRP was created by Katie Bouman.

At the age of 23, she knew nothing about black holes. Her field is computer science and artificial intelligence, topics she'd been involved in since high school. But she had a theory that black holes have shadows, and her algorithm was designed to find those shadows. Katie Bouman used a variety of what MIT called "clever algebraic solutions" to overcome the obstacles involved in creating the CHIRP algorithm. And though she had a team working to help her, her name comes first on the peer-reviewed documentation.

It's called the CHIRP algorithm because that's what she named it. It's the only reason these images could be created, and it's responsible for creating some of the images that were incorporated into the final image. It's the algorithm that made the effort of collecting all that data worth it. Any data analyst can tell you that you can't analyze or visualize data until it's been prepared first. Cleaned up. Narrowed down to the important information.

That's what Katie Bouman did, and after working as a data analyst for two years with a focus on this exact thing - data transformation - I can tell you it's not easy. It's not easy on the small data sets I worked with, where I could wind up spending a week looking for the patterns in a 68K Excel spreadsheet with only one month's worth of programming for a single TV station!

Katie Bouman's 2,400 line contribution to Andrew Chael's work is on top of all of her other work. She spent five years developing and refining the CHIRP algorithm before leading four teams in testing the data created. The data collection phase of this took 10 days in April 2017, when the eight telescopes simultaneously trained their gazes towards the black hole.

This photo was ultimately created as a way to test Katie Bouman's algorithm for accuracy. MIT says that it's far more accurate than similar predecessors. And it is the algorithm that gave us our first direct image of a black hole.

Around the internet, there are people who have the misperception that Katie Bouman is just the pretty face, a minor contributor to a project where men like Andrew Chael and Mareki Honma deserve the credit. There are people pushing memes and narratives that she's only being given such acclaim because of feminism. And because Katie Bouman refuses to say that this was anything other than a team effort, even the most flattering comments about her still place her contributions to the photo at equal or less-than-equal contribution to others.

But I'm writing to set the story straight:

When it is written that Katie Bouman is the woman "behind the black hole photo", it is objectively true.

When Andrew Chael says that his software could not have worked without her, he isn't just being a stand-up guy, he's being literal.

And while it's true that every one of the 200+ people involved placed an important role, Katie Bouman deserves every ounce of superstardom she receives.

If there must be a face to this project - and there usually is - then why shouldn't it be her, her fingers twined across her lips, her gleeful eyes luminous and wide with awe and joy.

Edited:

Thinking on it a little further, I felt I should clarify that I'm not actually trying to downplay Andrew Chael. His imaging algorithm is actually the result of years of effort, a labor of love. Each image that could be composited into the final photo brought with it a unique take on the data, without which the final photo wouldn't have been complete.

So let's take a moment to celebrate the fact that two of the most integral contributors to the first direct photo of a black hole

were a woman

and a gay man.

===============================================
2nd Update (LONG!)

I went to bed at 19 shares on a post I wrote to vent to my FB friends, and now it's over 2K. I guess it's gone viral. That means I have some work to do.

I'm going to provide a list of the various articles I read to piece this together. When I wrote this, I wasn't trying to write an essay so I didn't put sources in and I didn't ensure that every detail is 100% accurate. So I'm doing that now.

Any edits I make are mentioned below (apart from spelling/grammar fixes). The resources that led me to write this are listed below. And because I value accuracy, I welcome people to point out mistakes of any kind. I'll make corrects and credit them here.

Edit: I incorrectly wrote that Bouman worked on the algorithm for 6 years and spent 2 years refining it. This was an accidental mush of facts: She's been working on this project for a total of 6 years (ages 23 to 29). She spent 3 years building CHIRP and 2 years refining it. I've corrected that and included that she led the four teams, as two separate articles mention it.

Edit: One of the leads for the 4 team project was a man named Jose L Gomez. I added that to the above, after being sent a twitter thread from Xu S. Han. Thank you! Twitter thread here:
https://twitter.com/saraissaoun/status/1116304522660519936?s=21

http://news.mit.edu/2016/method-image-black-holes-0606
This is a 2016 MIT article announcing CHIRP. It gives a pretty excellent idea about the magnitude of Bouman's contribution.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/229675-mit-researcher-develops-new-algorithm-for-imaging-black-holes
This goes into detail about Katie Bouman's algorithm. It describes how her algorithm differs from normal/traditional interferometric algorithms. This article explains the difficulty she faced in how trying to capture a black hole is like trying to photograph "a grapefruit on the moon." This also explains how Bouman's algorithm made all of this work-- it combines all of the data from the participating telescopes into, in essence, one massive telescope.

https://youtu.be/BIvezCVcsYs
This is a 2016 TEDx talk from Bouman where she describes her work. Note: though I am intentionally focusing on her contributions specifically to defend the attend she's getting, she makes it clear that this was a team effort. She always gives credit to her teammates who work with her. She is full of humility and wonder.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/klbouman/pw/papers_and_presentations/cvpr2016_bouman.pdf
This is the paper based on Bouman's work, where she's listed as first author. The position of her name is important. While the meaning of being first author can differ in certain fields, I'm basing the 'primary contributor' interpretation on the fact that multiple other articles say she was lead, MIT refers to the algorithm as hers, as well as the fact that she named CHIRP.

https://github.com/achael/eht-imaging
This is Andrew Chael's imaging library available on GitHub. It's where our original "sleuths" discovered that Bouman had contributed very little and assumed that she was stealing the glory from others. NOTE: Andrew Chael didn't make these claims or ask for this sort of attention!

https://arxiv.org/abs/1605.06156
This is a paper describing Chael's work, which is impressive. Bouman is in the position of last author. Again, the relevance of the author order can differ, but the common significance of 'last author' is either the supervisor or the relative least contribution. In Bouman's paper, the position of last author seemed to indicate supervisor(s) based on the organization hierarchy on the EHT website. In this instance, I interpret Bouman's name being last as her being a minor contributor to Chael's specific work.

https://eventhorizontelescope.org/
This is the official EHT telescope website. I can't remember what I looked at here, it's in my history. I think I was trying to find out who Bouman's project lead was.

https://twitter.com/thisgreyspirit/status/1116518544961830918
This is the twitter thread where Chael defends Katie. He explains that he didn't write 850K lines, defends Katie and says that his algorithm couldn't have worked without her, mentions his LGBTQ status, and more. He seems like a great guy.

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.6.1.20190411a/full/
This article speaks to some of the other people involved, including the project leader Sheperd Doeleman. This describes the process they went through in creating the black hole image and is where I got the information about how they split the teams into 4, and how the final image is a composite.

https://phys.org/news/2019-04-scientist-superstar-katie-bouman-algorithm.html
This is the article that talks about CHIRP sorting through a "true mountain" of data, and how that data was passed out to four teams to check for accuracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/apr/10/black-hole-picture-captured-for-first-time-in-space-breakthrough
This article talks about Bouman coming up with a new algorithm to "stitch data across the EHT network" of telescopes, and how she led an elaborate series of tests (splitting the data up across four teams, etc) to verify that the output wasn't the result of a glitch or fluke.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201904110037.html
This article explains Honma's significant role. It describes what Honma's algorithm does and how it was used in this project.

The final link is the document by all 200+ participants. This document is important because it gives such a clear idea of the work that went into this, the fabric of which Bouman is a part. While I intentionally highlight her contributions in defense of her, her statement that it was a team effort is true.
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ab0ec7

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
This pretty much encapsulates the explicit misogyny that women in STEM in particular deal with every day.  I think you should go make this exact same comment to your HR department and see where it gets you.

Meh.

I understand both sides of the argument.

My first job out of college was as a PC repair tech for a school district.  Job description explicitly listed the ability to lift 45 pounds as a requirement.  Had a female coworker that was constantly asking for someone else to lift big Apple G3 All-in-One CRT units, or large laser printers, from off of her cart and onto her workbench (and then back).  I made an issue out of that.  While a G3 AIO is about 60 pounds and over that 45 pound job requirement, she didn't ask for "help" and then participate in a team lift.  She asked for someone else to do it.

But there's so much to code that has nothing to do with the actual task you want to do... Go open a new blank solution in Visual Studio sometime, and create a blank windows form with no content to it.  Save the empty document and go inspect it in the file system.  It'll be hundreds of kilobytes in size and have hundreds or thousands of lines of code already in it.  When you actually do the thing you want to do, you might contribute about 10% of the total code in the document before it's compiled.

Add to that, if you incorporate libraries from another project, you're now borrowing someone else's code and diluting the total volume of your own original code.  I wrote a VBScript app that generated multipage HTML formatted TIF files from DAT files several years back.  I included libraries from a retail product that allowed me to print to TIF format, and I made calls to launch a 3rd party web browser and fire the print dialogue for each finalized document.  The formatting was a unique invention on my part, the record segregation was unique on my part, and the work created millions of files that had enormous value.  But I didn't write the browser or the TIF/PDF printer library that made the whole thing possible.

The OP's article has no leg to stand on without a peer appraisal of the value of her 0.26% of code contribution.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
^^Neemi's post, + eleventy.
--Lysander Spooner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
I really could not care less about what biological sex or what the sexual preferences are of the folks involved in the project.

If “CHIRP” was the crucial program to make this all happen then that should have been included in the reporting of the story. It’s a major point.

Bad journalism combined with the stupid progressive obsession over biological sex, gender and sexual preferences obscure the point of all the team members work, particularly Bouman.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 04:04:08 PM »
@Neemi Mind if I quote that EXCELLENT post?

via FB. All a quote via one Misty S. Boyer:

There's a lot of news going on about the "black hole girl" right now, and how she's being given too much credit for her role in the historic first image of a black hole. Because this is too important, I want to set the record straight.

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 05:19:06 PM »
No, not at all - it's a public post by a woman named Misty that I'm quoting. Here's the link to the original if that helps: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156249525816313&id=607881312

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 05:53:00 PM »
Thanks!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 06:48:15 PM »
Lines of code is a totally useless metric.  It neither supports nor refutes anything about where credit is due for the black hole project.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/science/katie-bouman-black-hole.html

Ok, how about this metric?

While she led the development of an algorithm to take a picture of a black hole, an effort that was the subject of a TED Talk she gave in 2016, her colleagues said that technique was not ultimately used to create this particular image.

If you'll click through to the New York Times you'll see that I was completely correct that members of the press (and shockingly! politicians) immediately credited her as "the WOMAN behind the black hole picture."

It appears the original article I posted was incorrect as to the best metric for how to gauge her contribution, but I'd think her colleagues saying "her algorithm wasn't used to create this image" ought to be a sufficient metric, no?

Neemi, it appears whomever posted that facebook article was also incorrect as to the nature of her contribution.

Millcreek, how exactly is it misogynistic to point out that falsely crediting  a single woman (or women) for the work of an entire team is likely to create concerns at the margin on whether you'd want women working with you?

Did I say women couldn't do this work? Given that it's likely at the cutting edge of human abilities, women are less likely to be found there. 40 women out of a team of 200 sounds just about correct for a normal distribution of super-geniuses. (I'd have guessed 50, but 40 is likely within random variation for that distribution.)

Did I say "This is great! More men will avoid working with women so they can't be part of these cutting edge teams!"? My post was about negative consequences to women by focusing falsely on female team members as the "real heroes!" when someone else deserves the credit.

If it turns out I am wrong, and she does deserve the real credit, I'll be happy to credit her... but, according to the New York Times, I'm not.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:55:26 AM by makattak »

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 09:14:57 AM »
Mak, I agree with your premise.  Counting LoC is a pet peeve of mine.  I have to do it occasionally to file "certificates of originality".  Yet some of the programming that I'm most proud of is fixing a complex problem using just one or two lines of code (sometimes that takes weeks of analysis)  Or deleting a whole page and replacing it with 5 lines.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »
If you don’t immediately virtue signal that you support whatever inanity de jour the herd is genuflecting before, you will be ostracized and pushed out of the herd.

The media has managed to take what appears to be an interesting team accomplishment and make it all about a woman.

It has actually turned out to be a disservice to her imho. One of her greatest accomplishments has been hijacked by ideologues.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 01:41:25 PM »
A friend shared this post with me via FB. All a quote via one Misty S. Boyer:

Once Katie Bouman became the "face" of the black hole photo, and articles began to call her "the woman behind the black hole photo", an assortment of people that I'm strongly inclined to call incels but won't decided to figure out just how much of a role she had in it. Why? You'd have to ask them. Something about her attractiveness, youthfulness, and femaleness disturbed them to the point where they had to go digging.

And after digging, they found Andrew Chael, who wrote an algorithm, and put his algorithm online. Andrew Chael worked on the black hole photo as well. And because people kept saying that Katie Bouman wrote "the algorithm", these people decided that "the algorithm" in question must be Chael's.

So they looked at Chael's GitHub repository and checked the history. The history showed that Andrew Chael made 850,000 commits to the GitHub repository, while Katie Bouman made only 2,400.

"Oh my god!" they all said. "He did almost all of the work on the algorithm and yet she's the one getting all of the credit!"

They dug a little deeper - but not much - and discovered that the algorithm that "ultimately" generated the world-famous photo was created a different man, named Mareki Honma.

"She's taken the credit from two men!" they gasped. "Feminism and the PC media is destroying everything!"

There were, of course, those who tried to be kind. "She's always said that this was a team effort," they said. "We don't blame her, we blame the media. She didn't ask to become the poster girl of a team project she barely contributed to."

Meanwhile, Andrew Chael - a gay man - tweeted in defense of her. He thanked people for congratulating him on the work he'd spent years on but clarified that if they were doing so as a part of a sexist attack on Katie Bouman, they should go away and reconsider their lives. He said that his work couldn't have happened without Katie.

And it turns out that he was the one who took the viral photo of Bouman, specifically because he didn't want her contributions to be lost to history

So I decided to find out for myself what Katie Bouman's actual contributions were. As a programmer, I'm well aware that the number of GitHub commits means nothing without context. And Chael himself clarified that the lines being counted in the commits were from automatic commits of large data files. The actual software was made up of 68,000 lines, and though he didn't count how many he did personally, someone else assessed that he wrote about 24,000 of those.

Whether 68,000 or 24,000-- it's more than 2,400 right? Why call it "her" algorithm, then?

Because there's more than one algorithm being referenced here. These people just don't realize it.

I'll work my way backward because it's easier to explain that way.

The photo that everyone is looking at, the world famous black hole photo? It's actually a composite photo. It was generated by an algorithm credited to Mareki Honma. Honma's algorithm, based on MRI technology, is used to "stitch together" photos and fill in the missing pixels by analyzing the surrounding pixels.

But where did the photos come from that are composited into this photo?

The photos making up the composite were generated by 4 separate teams, led by Katie Bouman, Andrew Chael, Kazu Akiyama, Michael Johnson, and Jose L Gomez. Each team was given a copy of the black hole data and isolated from each other. Between the four of them, they used two techniques - an older, traditional one called CLEAN, and a newer one called RML - to generate an image.

The purpose of this division and isolation of teams was deliberately done to test the accuracy of the black hole data they were all using. If four isolated teams using different algorithms all got similar results, that would indicate that the data itself was accurate.

And lo, that's exactly what happened. The data wasn't just good, it's the most accurate of its kind. 5 petabytes (millions of billions of bytes) worth of accurate black hole data.

But where did the data come from?

Eight radio telescopes around the world trained their attention on the night sky in the direction of this black hole. The black hole is some ungodly distance away, a relative speck amidst billions of celestial bodies. And what the telescopes caught was not only the data of the black hole but the data of everything else as well.

Data that would need to be sorted.

Clearly, it's not the sort of thing you can sort by hand. To separate the wheat (one specific black hole's data) from the chaff (literally everything else around and between here and there) required an algorithm that could identify and single it out, calculations that were crunched across 800 CPUs on a 40Gbit/s network. And given that the resulting black hole-specific data was 5 petabytes (hundreds of pounds worth of hard drives!) you can imagine that the original data set was many times larger.

The algorithm that accomplished this feat was called CHIRP, short for "Continuous High-resolution Image Reconstruction using Patch priors".

CHIRP was created by Katie Bouman.

At the age of 23, she knew nothing about black holes. Her field is computer science and artificial intelligence, topics she'd been involved in since high school. But she had a theory that black holes have shadows, and her algorithm was designed to find those shadows. Katie Bouman used a variety of what MIT called "clever algebraic solutions" to overcome the obstacles involved in creating the CHIRP algorithm. And though she had a team working to help her, her name comes first on the peer-reviewed documentation.

It's called the CHIRP algorithm because that's what she named it. It's the only reason these images could be created, and it's responsible for creating some of the images that were incorporated into the final image. It's the algorithm that made the effort of collecting all that data worth it. Any data analyst can tell you that you can't analyze or visualize data until it's been prepared first. Cleaned up. Narrowed down to the important information.

That's what Katie Bouman did, and after working as a data analyst for two years with a focus on this exact thing - data transformation - I can tell you it's not easy. It's not easy on the small data sets I worked with, where I could wind up spending a week looking for the patterns in a 68K Excel spreadsheet with only one month's worth of programming for a single TV station!

Katie Bouman's 2,400 line contribution to Andrew Chael's work is on top of all of her other work. She spent five years developing and refining the CHIRP algorithm before leading four teams in testing the data created. The data collection phase of this took 10 days in April 2017, when the eight telescopes simultaneously trained their gazes towards the black hole.

This photo was ultimately created as a way to test Katie Bouman's algorithm for accuracy. MIT says that it's far more accurate than similar predecessors. And it is the algorithm that gave us our first direct image of a black hole.

Around the internet, there are people who have the misperception that Katie Bouman is just the pretty face, a minor contributor to a project where men like Andrew Chael and Mareki Honma deserve the credit. There are people pushing memes and narratives that she's only being given such acclaim because of feminism. And because Katie Bouman refuses to say that this was anything other than a team effort, even the most flattering comments about her still place her contributions to the photo at equal or less-than-equal contribution to others.

But I'm writing to set the story straight:

When it is written that Katie Bouman is the woman "behind the black hole photo", it is objectively true.

When Andrew Chael says that his software could not have worked without her, he isn't just being a stand-up guy, he's being literal.

And while it's true that every one of the 200+ people involved placed an important role, Katie Bouman deserves every ounce of superstardom she receives.

If there must be a face to this project - and there usually is - then why shouldn't it be her, her fingers twined across her lips, her gleeful eyes luminous and wide with awe and joy.

Edited:

Thinking on it a little further, I felt I should clarify that I'm not actually trying to downplay Andrew Chael. His imaging algorithm is actually the result of years of effort, a labor of love. Each image that could be composited into the final photo brought with it a unique take on the data, without which the final photo wouldn't have been complete.

So let's take a moment to celebrate the fact that two of the most integral contributors to the first direct photo of a black hole

were a woman

and a gay man.

This immediately tries to throw up a false reason for people being questioning about it. Calling them "incels" and saying that the only reason they are doing it is because "Something about her attractiveness, youthfulness, and femaleness disturbed them to the point where they had to go digging.". Completely ignores any real reason on why they might actually be double checking things. And then doubles down by making sure to say that this Andrew Chael is "a gay man", because apparently that's really important to point out.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »
Is all this how Al Gore invented the internet?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
This immediately tries to throw up a false reason for people being questioning about it. Calling them "incels" and saying that the only reason they are doing it is because "Something about her attractiveness, youthfulness, and femaleness disturbed them to the point where they had to go digging.". Completely ignores any real reason on why they might actually be double checking things. And then doubles down by making sure to say that this Andrew Chael is "a gay man", because apparently that's really important to point out.

I was going to let sleeping dogs lie, but since you commented on it:

It is interesting how anyone who, it appears, rightly questioned the narrative of the superwoman behind the black hole image must have done it because they are sexually frustrated losers who blame women for all their problems.

This is part of this whole stupid narrative. People act as though the country is some backwards place where women aren't allowed to drive or be alone in the company of a man who is not a relative and can have their lives and livelihoods upended by the mere word of a man while their word is completely disregarded. There ARE places like that for women, but this country is almost as far from that as could possibly exist. (Both figuratively and literally, in fact.)