Author Topic: The right to bare hands  (Read 1936 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
The right to bare hands
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:17:52 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/01/AR2007020101307.html

Man Wins Fight With Vicious Pit Bull

The Associated Press
Thursday, February 1, 2007; 4:58 PM

CONROE, Texas -- A 65-year-old retired truck driver who was attacked by a vicious pit bulldog during a neighborhood walk choked the dog to death as he defended himself.

Von Pardue suffered bites on his arms and hands during the Wednesday attack, which occurred shortly after Pardue began his routine morning walk. Pardue was treated at a local hospital, and the dog's owners could face misdemeanor charges, police said.

Pardue said he heard barking and readied himself when he realized the dog was coming for him.

"I turned to face him, and when I saw it was pit bull, I knew I was in trouble," Pardue said. "I put my hands up and I hollered at him. He immediately jumped to my throat."

Pardue shielded his body by grabbing the dog's head and ears, but the dog shook loose and started biting his right hand. Pardue kneed the dog in the ribs, spurring it to let go of his hand, and then grabbed the dog by its thick collar.

Pardue said he then dragged the dog to his house while maintaining a firm grip on its neck. His wife called police from the house. When the police arrived, Pardue was on the ground with the dog and still holding onto the collar.

Police said Pardue's grip was so tight that he strangled the dog. Pardue said he didn't know the dog was dead until it was unresponsive when police tried to move it.

Emergency medics washed Pardue's bites and he received a tetanus shot and an antibiotic at the hospital, he said.

"If not for the collar, I don't know how I would have ever been able to wrestle him down," said Pardue, who weighs 200 pounds. "The dog was about 80 pounds and very vicious. It was hard to believe the viciousness in which he attacked me, but I was able to contain him."

Sgt. Mike Tindall, a Conroe police spokesman, said the dog's owners hadn't been charged Wednesday, but they could face misdemeanor charges for having a dog at large or for having a dangerous dog.

Tindall said the male dog was picked up by animal control officers in December for running at large. It was given a rabies vaccination and released back to the owner, he said.

The City Council in Conroe, which is located 40 miles north of Houston, is set to vote next week on a proposed dangerous dog ordinance that would require such dogs to be kept in a secure enclosure. The law might have prevented Wednesday's attack, Tindall said.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: The right to bare hands
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:20:57 PM »
Is a dog considered a deadly weapon?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
So why are pit-bulls still allowed? I can't figure it out...  undecided
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

esheato

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:15:32 PM »
Only in Texas...

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 10:32:53 PM »
My mother was attacked by a pitbull a few years ago.  The only reason she's still alive is because there was a parked car nearby that was left unlocked.  She jumped in the back seat and waited for the cops to show up.  If that hadn't been there, or if its doors had been locked...   undecided

Strings

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:18 PM »
this ain't a dog problem, but an owner problem. I have seen examples of every rumored "vicious breed" that was perfectly fine, so long as the owners treated it properly...

THE only breed that I've seen that kinda deserves it's rep is the basenji: they start at slightly psychotic (with non-family members), and go downhill from there (BTW: I was raised with basenjis: if I had more time, I'd happily get another)...

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 01:06:17 AM »
This ain't a dog problem, but an owner problem.
Hear that all the time.  Thing is, you never hear of beagles doing this sort of thing.

Can the same argument be used with those who own tigers?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Strings

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 01:27:25 AM »
Can the same arguement be used for AK owners vs Remington 1100 owners?

A LOT of the people who get these breeds are looking for a "mean dog", and treat the animal in such a way as to cause what they want. Most of the pits I've met, your only danger was in drowning in slobber ("OHBOY!!! PEOPLEPEOPLEPEOPLE!!!!!!) Most of the "mean dog" crowd don't want a beagle: they want what has the baddest rep (used to be doberman's)...

Can these dogs go bad? Sure... ANY dog can go bad. Personally, I dispise skipperkees(sp): NEVER met one that didn't constantly snap at folks.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 01:31:44 AM »
Take a beagle, mistreat it or teach it to attack, it'll be just as vicious as any other dog. +1 on the Basenji, we had one whn I was a kid, nasty little thing. The most frightening dog I've ever seen was a St Bernard that had been mistreated. It was chewing savagely on the chain link fence of it's kennel and actually distorting the wire. You ain't seen vicious till you've seen that.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Strings

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 01:37:33 AM »
280: I was taught to walk as a baby by our basenji and her pups. Watched that same dog get thoroughly mauled by any number of kittens: she would just look up with this pathetic "do I HAVE to put up with this s***?" expression. I also saw the kennel she destroyed one day when someone tried opening our back door with nobody home (guy dropping some stuff off for my dad).

For those that don't understand: basenjis are absolutely wonderful family animals (if treated right). However, walking into the home of one unless you're a) family or b) with family, means you are on the menu for lunch...

Funny though: they're really a small dog for all that mean. What is it they say about dynamite and small packages?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 02:36:27 AM »
Dunno about the beagle thing, there's a reason why they're used for animal research. I saw a vid a while back from some research centre that was put out to show us poor enlightened animal abusers the horrors of medical research on animals. In fact what it showed was some jerk losing his patience at not being able to find a vein and taking it out by cuffing the dog. Hope he lost his job, but the beagle was just taking it.

There was a fatal pitbull* attack here just a while ago, and now there is a media frenzy about pitbulls and other dangerous dogs again. Still, sometimes there is a nice cute story about these terrors - New-born lambs' Rottweiler 'mum'

* Pitbulls (and two other breeds I think) are illegal in the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act. Sure there are still some here, but anything that looks like a Staffordshire gets called a pitbull when it bites someone.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

mfree

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 04:17:54 AM »
"So why are pit-bulls still allowed? I can't figure it out...  "

Would it make you feel better, little user, if it was a Sheltie he had to strangle?

</bunkerparaphrase>

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 05:01:29 AM »
"little user"  ??
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mfree

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 06:01:54 AM »
The original phrase is "Would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed out of windows?" in reference to a spouting off of gun control rhetoric.

I was just keeping with the phrasing.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »
When I was in gradeschool we had the beagle of terror that roamed the neighborhood. The owners didn't give a crap about the dog and it always escaped from its encloser and would seek out anyone to attack. It was to the point that none of us kids went anywhere with out a broom handle to defend ourselves. This dog even escaped animal control and eventually went home when it was hungry.

Well one day the dog was out terrorizing the everyone, my nieghbor was in their garage with the door opend and the dog decided to come in an attack. As soon as the dog came in, he hit the garage door button and headed out the side door. Dog was trapped inside, he came over and got my father, I heard something about being calling the dog catcher, so we waited on the front steps for the dog catcher to show up. Never did see the dog catcher or the the dog ever again. I think my dad convinced the neighbor that the dog had to take a dirt nap.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 11:37:36 AM »
Most people can't pick out an actual pit bull from a lineup of many other dogs.  Can you? No?  Neither can the guy from the article.

"I turned to face him, and when I saw it was pit bull, I knew I was in trouble,"   Riiiiight. . .

Media reports almost all dog attacks as "pit bull" attacks as well.  "Pit Bull" is the "Assault Rifle" of the dog world as far as the newspaper is concerned.

I would bet anybody a cartridge box that this dog was not an actual pit bull.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »
I've seen several vicious beagles. Fortunate for this guy that it wasn't a vicious St Bernard or Great Dane.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 04:03:05 AM »
So why are pit-bulls still allowed? I can't figure it out... 

I dont like pit-bulls and would never have one myself, but be careful in thinking along those lines as many people would say the same thing about firearms after a shooting. I blame the owners not the dog.
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 07:39:33 AM »
This is the kind of dog I have, the picture on the top right (the one with the brindle coat) could be a picture of her.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Terrier

I am sick and tired of folks saying "Why do you allow such a dog around your child?" The manager at my apt. complex frequently threatens to "ban" her for no other reason than that she has a brindle coat and "looks like a pit bull".

This dog is maybe 20 lbs. soaking wet, and has never harmed anyone. She is very sweet and adores children; around certain males she becomes very aloof (for good reason, I think, I avoid folks she doesn't like).

She is terrified of the black cat around the corner (I have dubbed him "Rambo"), "Rambo" has given her a few swats on the face.

Ever see a cat chase a dog? I see it regularly! laugh

Anyway, the whole "bad owner/bad dog" thing is spot on, IMO.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 05:23:27 PM »
allright, so which one of those doggies is a pit cnyccaher?
I looked but all the ones I picked said no...and I got tired...which one?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
When I was a kid a guy down the block had a mean GSD, suspect the neighborhood kids teased her, but she never came over the fence. Neighbor across the street had a beagle that was the meanest little SOB I'd ever seen. Friend had pits that were big babies.

Don't want a Pit, Dobe ot Rot, just because. Agree that it's the owner that makes the dog. Have a lab/GSD mix that'll scare the "livin h2!!" outta ya' if I don't tell  "It's OK, he's a friend"> She turned a stray dog charge at my wife and friend by simply repositioning and threatening. New pup's a "labradoodle". Not protective yet, but fearless. Should be interesting as he gets older and socialized.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 09:26:47 AM »
There are a few breeds out there that are extremely protective.  As has already been pointed out, Basenji's are among those.  But they're small enough that they are less likely to be "dangerous" dogs.

However, growing up, we had a Brazilian Mastiff, or a "Fila" as it's known in Brazil.  This dog weighed about 170 lbs, solid muscle.  And it wasn't done growing yet.   He was the friendliest dog I ever met.  Matter of fact, we called him "Snoopy".  However, he had imprinted on our family (we'd gotten him as a pup).  Anyone could go anywhere on our property or house, so long as he could see a family member with that person.  Otherwise, you'd better hope you can outrun 170 lbs of VERY persuasive intruder deterrent. 

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Strings

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 01:28:45 PM »
AD: while a basenji might be small, you'ld be supprised what all they can accomplish...

When I was a pup, we had a cyclone fnce completely enclosing our yard, with ducks running around said yard (we always had a menagerie). One year, the snow reached the top of the fence, allowing the neighbor's 3 GSDs to cross over and chase the ducks. Our Heidi took offense at another dog bothering "her family", and wentout after them: the only damage she took being a single tooth-hole in her back, and a LOT of irritation (they ran away, and she was pissed that she couldn't finish the job).

They may not look intimidating, but don't let the size fool ya: they can back up their attitude!