Author Topic: Interesting "empty tank" chart  (Read 2013 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Interesting "empty tank" chart
« on: November 29, 2018, 08:41:29 AM »
that tells you how far you can drive when your tank is "empty."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/handy-chart-tells-many-miles-155000473.html

Seems to be pretty accurate, but the several times I've gotten gas just as the light has triggered on my Forester has shown that I've had closer to 3.5 gallons of gas remaining.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Interesting "empty tank" chart
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 08:46:44 AM »
My Subaru comes on very early, probably around three gallons. Couple of times through poor planning I have gotten 15.7 gallons into the 16 gallon tank though.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »
When the light comes on in my truck it's usually the wife's fault.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 09:49:23 AM »
My Silverado has a 26 gallon tank, and the walk light comes on with 4 gallons left. I've driven much farther than the 25 miles they claim.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »
"How far can I go on empty" is something I always test when I get a new vehicle. As soon as the light comes on after I purchase it, I fill up. All the vehicles I've ever owned have been slightly conservative to very conservative (which I'm glad of and makes sense from the manufacturer's POV).

Currently my 4Runner gives me more like 75 miles when it hits 50 miles to empty (which is when the warning comes on), and my F150 with the 2.7L gives me something over 100 at 50. My old F250 diesel was more like 150 at 50. It never had less than 5 gallons left in the tank at the 50 mile warning. Usually 6-7.

I don't routinely drive my vehicles to empty, I just like to know real numbers for emergencies. I'm more of a "fill it at half a tank" kinda guy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
In general, one doesn't really want to run the tank that low.  There's all kinds of crap accumulating in the bottom of the tank, you're making the fuel pump work harder, in cooler, and depending on your driving, terrain, and tank baffle/sump set up you are more likely to starve the engine of fuel and cause detonation.

Not great stuff all around. Just fill it up before the light comes on.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »
Whoever made that list needs to learn the "sort" command.

SWMBO's Taurus is supposed to have a 19 gallon tank. If she fills up with it showing "0 Miles Left" she can get about 17 gallons in it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
Not to mention that sitting in the gasoline bath helps keep the fuel pump cool.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
Ha...Boomhauer had to come bring me gas once. That's how I found where the Eclipse bottoms out.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
Not to mention that sitting in the gasoline bath helps keep the fuel pump cool.

Depends on if it's a returnless or return-style system. Returnless needs to be immersed in fuel. Return systems use fuel flow to cool the pump. A majority of mfg have gone to return systems for the reliability but both systems are in current use. You'll have to dig into your particular vehicle's specs to be sure.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »
Ah! I didn't know that. I was under the impression that the standard was static pressure returnless pumps.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »
In general, one doesn't really want to run the tank that low.  There's all kinds of crap accumulating in the bottom of the tank, you're making the fuel pump work harder, in cooler, and depending on your driving, terrain, and tank baffle/sump set up you are more likely to starve the engine of fuel and cause detonation.

Not great stuff all around. Just fill it up before the light comes on.

X2, beat me to it
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »
Ah! I didn't know that. I was under the impression that the standard was static pressure returnless pumps.

Used to be that way for everyone. Pretty much all the first-gen fuel injected vehicles ran deadhead systems. As a result, pumps were dying a a ferocious rate for the very reason you stated above.

Fuel pumps are above liquid level by about half a tank anyway. Mfgs who stick with returnless systems usually use variable speed pumps and driver module
trickery to ensure the pumps don't overheat.

Brad
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 01:50:48 PM »
Brad, It's interesting that you say that the manufacturers are moving to return style systems, because I've seen the opposite.  Ford went from return systems with a regulator on the rail in the 90's and early 2000's to pretty predominantly returnless systems with a Fuel Pump Driver Module for the V8's. The EcoBoost's are also returnless

My '14 Bimmer is also returnless, as is my wife's '15 Mazda*.  I'd be pretty interested in how many are still using a regulator and return vs. electronically controlled non return fuel pressure.

*It should be mentioned that both those cars have Direct injection engines, and as such have low and high pressure fuel pumps, and are different then an F150's "~45psi to Bosch Injectors" system that most folks think of for fuel injection.  They are return-less though.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »
The two times I've had my fuel light come on in my Outback, I could only get 14 gallons into the 17 gallon tank.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
I try to keep mine filled since 30 miles with no gas station is standard for me. I found out the hard way about returnless Ford pumps once, they also don't kill the pump with zero pressure sensed. Roasted pump.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »
I just always fill mine up at half.  Rarely will I let it get to 1/4.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 05:17:54 PM »
Brad, It's interesting that you say that the manufacturers are moving to return style systems, because I've seen the opposite. 

That may well be the case as I'm not as familiar with the GDI systems as I'd like. I used to spend most every weekend elbow-deep in vehicles but it's been a couple years.

Brad
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 06:16:59 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
tank capacity on my 2-door JK is listed at 18.6 gallons. Most I've ever put in was 16 gallons.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »
I'm with Amy.  I don't recall ever not filling up when I get to half a tank.  Plus it's a good mind game because with gas prices as they are, it doesn't seem like I'm spending so much on a fill-up.  When we drive across the country to Florida, filling up at half a tank makes for a good time out from driving.  Keeps one fresher on 500 mile a day jaunts.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »
One of my new-to-me vehicle chores (assuming it has an accessible filter) is to toss a 2 gallon can in the back and go run it dry.  I figure that way it pulls the crud into the filter when I'm planning to do that sort of maintenance anyway.
Mostly they're old enough to be due anyway, and with spotty-if-any maintenance records.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
I bought a new Toyota Tacoma in October.  The 3 gallons the chart says is pretty close.  I think I have been putting in 17 gallons and change when I fill up.  That is before the fuel light comes on.  I don't think I have put in over 18 except for once when the light was on before filling.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge