Author Topic: Canadian woman stranded for 3 days survived on kombucha and marzipan cake.  (Read 1210 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Not on Onion article. lol
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2018/11/29/canadian-stranded-rural-iowa-snow-storm-mud-road-survival-canada-woman-terry-harnish-fairfield-ia/2148476002/

Her car got stuck on some muddy dirt road. She tried to walk to some farmhouses she had passed but kept getting stuck and fell down at one point, apparently lying there for two hours before getting the strength to get back up and made her way back to the car. It said she got back at 1am, which I'm assuming is back to her car. Spent the next few days turning the car on and off to keep a little warm. Eventually there was a snow storm which brought out some snowmobilers and she was able to get their attention.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Canadian woman stranded for 3 days survived on kombucha and marzipan cake.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 01:53:55 AM »
Lucky ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:42:40 AM »
If she was laying in the mud for 2 hours, hypothermia could have easily killed her.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »
It is really hard in Iowa not to walk more than a mile and not come across a cross road.

I wonder if she was drunk when she got lost.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 10:34:11 AM »
Sorry she got stuck but I can't help but see several levels of personal-level Epic Fail in that story.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »
Every non-graveled road (or not plowed in the winter time) in Iowa has these signs at both ends.

Most mud roads in Iowa are becoming either being gated off or graveled because of folks with 4x4 trucks tearing them up for fun.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:57:10 AM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »
She sounds a bit like the folks who listen to their GPS and turn onto a RR track and wonder why they got run over by a train.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:53:31 AM »
Yeah, several days in Iowa sounds kinda weird. Especially given that she said she saw farmhouses. There's parts of some Western states in the lower 48, like Nevada, where that happens a lot, but even then, you have to be way off in one of the deserts. Hey Charby - how is rural cell service there?

I'll give her some leeway due to age though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »
Hey Charby - how is rural cell service there?

It is really hard to find dead areas, most areas at least have voice. Lots of data dead areas though.

I can totally see it in the western states.

Uranus is a gas giant.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »
Quote from: From the bottom of the OP article
The Canadian native is a professional storyteller, operating Terry Tales International. She is in Fairfield β€” where she lived for five years in the early 1990s β€” to organize a storytelling festival. Once Upon a Winter's Solstice is being held in Fairfield on Dec. 21.

I am wondering if this has some type of publicity twist to it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
I am wondering if this has some type of publicity twist to it.

there are some different people in that town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maharishi_University_of_Management

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
It is really hard to find dead areas, most areas at least have voice. Lots of data dead areas though.

I can totally see it in the western states.

She did say she didn't have her cell phone.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
I think she has been punished enough by having to drink kombucha, but I wouldn't mind the marzipan cake.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 01:29:00 PM »
Somehow, I don't think finding nourishment was the most important issue in that scenario.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
It is really hard in Iowa not to walk more than a mile and not come across a cross road.

I wonder if she was drunk when she got lost.
I was wondering why she didn't make another attempt to walk back up the road later.  Was the entire area so muddy she couldn't walk? 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »
Yeah, several days in Iowa sounds kinda weird. Especially given that she said she saw farmhouses. There's parts of some Western states in the lower 48, like Nevada, where that happens a lot, but even then, you have to be way off in one of the deserts. Hey Charby - how is rural cell service there?

Used to be in Nevada if you weren't within a dozen or so miles of one of the major highways you were usually SOL in terms of cell service. I've been off in the desert somewhere there wasn't cell coverage and gotten stuck a few times, and thinking about having to walk 8 or 10 miles to reach the nearest ranch house gives you a lot of motivation to get unstuck...

Oregon has a lot better cell coverage, but the Cascades and the southeast corner of the state still have a bunch of dead areas. Every once in a while in the wintertime someone will follow their GPS onto a road going through the Cascades that isn't maintained during the winter and get themselves stuck in the snow. Lot of them freeze to death.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 08:55:03 PM »
Here in Washington, the cell coverage is along the cities and towns, and outside the cities and towns, goes along the major highways.  Lots of uncovered areas out in the boonies and dead spots closer in due to terrain.  Once you get about five miles away from the major highways out in the sticks, it is a crapshoot if you have service, depending on the carrier. Verizon has the most coverage in the rural areas.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »
Not on Onion article. lol
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2018/11/29/canadian-stranded-rural-iowa-snow-storm-mud-road-survival-canada-woman-terry-harnish-fairfield-ia/2148476002/

Her car got stuck on some muddy dirt road. She tried to walk to some farmhouses she had passed but kept getting stuck and fell down at one point, apparently lying there for two hours before getting the strength to get back up and made her way back to the car. It said she got back at 1am, which I'm assuming is back to her car. Spent the next few days turning the car on and off to keep a little warm. Eventually there was a snow storm which brought out some snowmobilers and she was able to get their attention.

Well, I guess kamboucha won't kill you, in small doses.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 10:07:32 PM »

She may be like a grandmother up here who DID freeze to death in the winter and mistook unoccupied farm buildings for a farm house.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 10:19:55 PM »
I was wondering why she didn't make another attempt to walk back up the road later.  Was the entire area so muddy she couldn't walk? 

Article said she recently had knee replacement surgery...might have limited her walking.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 10:27:47 PM »
You know, if you're going to be getting off of heavily traveled highways and transiting rural roads with little traffic, I think that a satellite emergency beacon wouldn't be a bad idea.

Though reading, it says that she didn't intend to be on said road, so a satellite emergency beacon might not be a bad idea at all.

Though reading the article - it says that she didn't even have her cellphone on her, so there's a double no-no, I think.  Cellphones are great emergency devices most of the time.

Hell, from what I understand, even the "last seen location" can give the police a good idea on where to start looking.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 11:37:35 PM »
Here in Washington, the cell coverage is along the cities and towns, and outside the cities and towns, goes along the major highways.  Lots of uncovered areas out in the boonies and dead spots closer in due to terrain.  Once you get about five miles away from the major highways out in the sticks, it is a crapshoot if you have service, depending on the carrier. Verizon has the most coverage in the rural areas.

I have a friend in south-central Washington (state) who has no cell coverage at his house. He has to drive into town to check for messages or make calls.

Verizon coverage map:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/featured/better-matters/?map=4glte#maps

AT&T coverage map:
https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design