Author Topic: Trailer heating recommendations  (Read 2866 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Trailer heating recommendations
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:02:08 AM »
I have a home-built trailer that has a 6'x10' interior, with two fold-out bed platforms on either side that are 5x7 on one side and 4x7 on the other, for a total interior square footage of 123 sq ft.  The two bed platforms have canvas/fabric walls and roof, but the main 6x10 area is insulated (aside from the great big holes in the wall where the bed platforms fold out).  I'm about to replace the bed platforms with a better iteration that has rigid roof and walls, and some light insulation and better rain protection, which should hold warmth in better.

I'd like to have some sort of heating solution that works well in this rig.  I've got a Mr. Heater Buddy radiant propane heater, but even on low output that thing only lasts about 5-6 hours on a 1lb canister.  I want something that can run for 8-10 hours without having to crawl out of bed and change canisters in the cold.  I wish the Mr. Heater had an adjustable output rather than only 2 settings... I could throttle it to a point where one can might last all night.

I know about the hose that is available to hook a Mr. Buddy to a big propane tank, but that doesn't really appeal to me.  A big 20lb tank is a large object in this tiny trailer, and I don't want the tank inside nor do I want to build an access port to run a hose between inside and outside.  I can get a 5lb tank, but anything smaller than 20lb carries a hefty price premium when buying a tank.

Anyone have recommendations for a heater that puts out 3000-10,000 BTUs and can run for at least 8 hours (ideally 12) without refueling, and doesn't use disposable non-refillable containers?  I'm not looking to maintain 70 degrees, just keep the inside between 40-50 degrees when it's about 20 degrees outside.  I'd like to be able to carry enough fuel to run a heater for a week of nightly use.

Some things I've considered but not sold on:

1. UCO Candlelier.  I have a single-candle UCO candle lantern that I've used in a tent to keep warm on cold weather camping trips.  It puts out about 1500-ish BTUs and can warm a small tent 5-10 degrees from a harsh cold outside temp.  The candle will last anywhere from 8 to 12 hours.  But, the candles are kind of expensive for 1 night of warmth.  Supposedly the 3-candle version will put out about 5000 BTUs... but my fuel costs for 3 candles each night starts to get spendy.  I've seen conversions where people use little kerosene lamps inside it made from little 50ml whiskey bottles and I've tried that conversion on my single-candle setup, but I find it to be sooty and unreliable with thermal expansion.  I don't trust it to be safe.  The caps expand and vapor starts to burn from under the cap as well as from the wick hole.

2. Kerosene heater.  Up to 10k BTUs, yay.  ~1 gallon capacity is typical, with a runtime of 14 hours.  Kero is $8-$12 a gallon though, at stores.  Not sure where I can find kero in a pump.  With pump kero a scarcity, it's not a direction I'd prefer to go.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Trailer heating recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
Before reading your entire post, I was going to recommend the Mr. Heater and the adapter hose.  I usually use that in my camper when I am off grid, as its forced air furnace requires electricity.  I have a dual burner Mr. heater as backup heat for my house when the power goes out in colder months.  On medium setting, a 20-lb tank will keep my home toasty warm for three days.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
Something like so:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5KW-5000W-Air-diesel-Heater-For-Car-Truck-Motor-homes-Boats-Bus-Van/352233358455?hash=item5202be8477:g:VJoAAOSwvApaMlpF

Seems like it'd require fabrication as well as a 12VDC source, but fuel is easy to come by.

Or you could try running diesel in a kerosene heater like this dude does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2dAx2fn9s8

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
Just to make sure I'm reading this properly.

You're looking for a combustion-based heat source,
...to use inside an enclosed structure,
...while you're inside?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 01:04:38 PM »
Why not an infrared electric heater hooked up to a small generator outside the camper.  Many generators run for a long time on an onboard tank of gasoline.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »
Just to make sure I'm reading this properly.

You're looking for a combustion-based heat source,
...to use inside an enclosed structure,
...while you're inside?

Brad

Lots of combustion based heaters that have good CO control.  I have a CO monitor inside.  And the trailer has adequate ventilation.

I'm open to all sorts of options that don't involve a gasoline electric generator.  I do have a 1200watt inverter and battery bank and solar panels on this thing.  Right now I only have 200 watts in panels but once the structural upgrade is done I'll have either 400 or 600 watts, not sure yet on how far I'll take it.  I don't want the noise of a generator.  Obviously I won't have solar available at night, but I could probably run a ~250 watt space heater all night on my current setup, and it would recharge the next day as long as sunlight is available.  My current power usage is mostly 12vDC LED lights with intermittent inverter use for charging things like my 18v sawzall batteries (I use a 12" blade on that for firewood since I don't have a chainsaw).

With a bigger battery bank, electric is possible.  It's just a question of if increasing battery weight is more mass-efficient than carrying combustible fuel for a heater.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »
Anyone here an expert on propane, and propane accessories?

Let's say I get the adapter hose to make my Mr. Heater Buddy heater attach to a larger tank.  I set the heater to its "low" position and it doesn't have an adjustable thermostat, only a low/high setting.  Can I put an adjustable flow regulator between the tank and the heater that further restricts fuel flow, to provide more granular heat control and fuel use?
--Lysander Spooner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »

Let's say I get the adapter hose to make my Mr. Heater Buddy heater attach to a larger tank.  I set the heater to its "low" position and it doesn't have an adjustable thermostat, only a low/high setting.  Can I put an adjustable flow regulator between the tank and the heater that further restricts fuel flow, to provide more granular heat control and fuel use?

I think Boomhauer is pretty close with such an expert.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »

Don't do that.  The appliance is designed for a certain amount of fuel flow to maintain complete combustion across the surface of the element.  Reducing the fuel flow to it risks not maintaining enough heat to prevent impingement, which would result in a CO hazard.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »
What Nick said. Perhaps you could right it so that the tank is on the outside and the line runs into the trailer?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 02:42:56 PM »
What's your max heating requirements?

You could go catalytic style, but most of those are only on/off and not a lot of adjustability.

This one goes 4,000 to 8,000 BTU -- https://www.amazon.com/Camco-57351-Olympian-Wave-8-Catalytic/dp/B000EDQR8M/ref=zg_bs_3147789011_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XBXMEJWSPXC97YYK3F0M

As always, get a CO detector.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 03:13:30 PM »
If you already have 12v, that ebay one I posted runs on diesel and has separate air circuits for combustion and heating air. It seems pretty much what you need.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 05:38:57 PM »
I use a single panel Portable Buddy propane heater in my Eureka Outfitter 6 man tent.  4K or 9K BTU output.  I can use a one pound canister,  or use an adapter with a larger tank and a longer hose.  The 20# bottle stays outside.  This has worked well for me in temps as low as 6F,  with wind, rain and snow.  The heater sits on a 18 inch ceramic tile.   The low setting is all I ever use.  This gives me at least a 20 degree differential from the outside temps.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
I use a Big Mr Buddy in my deer blind in the ice fishing shanty. I switched from 2- 1 lbs canisters to a choice between a 11# or 20# bottle, depending how far I need to carry it from the truck. I was lucky of I could get a whole day of hunting in or a day on the ice with just 2lbs. Usually due to freezing up on me. 11# usually gets me through several trips, before I need to think about a refill. I'm also lucky that I have a place in my neighbor (Tractor Supply) that only sells you the actual amount of propane you purchase on a fill, so if it feels light I take it for a fill.

Some day I am going to build a permanent ice shanty and I'm going to put a 40# or 100# propane tank on it and use a wall mounted ventless heater that I picked up on clearance 2 years ago end of season for $20 (down from $180)

If you do the hose route, put the tank on the outside, you don't want a potential a leaky tank on the inside. Make sure you get a inline filter too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »

I'd like to have some sort of heating solution that works well in this rig.  I've got a Mr. Heater Buddy radiant propane heater, but even on low output that thing only lasts about 5-6 hours on a 1lb canister.  I want something that can run for 8-10 hours without having to crawl out of bed and change canisters in the cold.  I wish the Mr. Heater had an adjustable output rather than only 2 settings... I could throttle it to a point where one can might last all night.

Could you make up a manifold to run two 1-pound canisters in parallel?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »
Don't do that.  The appliance is designed for a certain amount of fuel flow to maintain complete combustion across the surface of the element.  Reducing the fuel flow to it risks not maintaining enough heat to prevent impingement, which would result in a CO hazard.

Thanks.  Yeah, that was my suspicion. 

I use a Big Mr Buddy in my deer blind in the ice fishing shanty. I switched from 2- 1 lbs canisters to a choice between a 11# or 20# bottle, depending how far I need to carry it from the truck. I was lucky of I could get a whole day of hunting in or a day on the ice with just 2lbs. Usually due to freezing up on me. 11# usually gets me through several trips, before I need to think about a refill. I'm also lucky that I have a place in my neighbor (Tractor Supply) that only sells you the actual amount of propane you purchase on a fill, so if it feels light I take it for a fill.

Some day I am going to build a permanent ice shanty and I'm going to put a 40# or 100# propane tank on it and use a wall mounted ventless heater that I picked up on clearance 2 years ago end of season for $20 (down from $180)

If you do the hose route, put the tank on the outside, you don't want a potential a leaky tank on the inside. Make sure you get a inline filter too.

Can you spitball in hours, the amount of runtime you get out of an 11# bottle?  I don't dig the idea of a 20# tank on the trailer and I kinda like the look/concept of a pair of 5# tanks affixed to either side of the trailer, kind of an Overland look.  I suspect that the Mr. Heater gets better fuel efficiency out of a larger tank than the little 1# disposables due to stouter construction, greater LPG fill level and better pressurization during the fill process, but that's just a wild ass guess.

I hear you on the freezing up.  I also have a Coleman camp stove that uses the 1# bottles and it regularly freezes on me if I operate it below about 35 degrees.  I've come into an old Coleman liquid fuel stove that I've borrowed long-term from a friend, that is going to replace my propane stove.  I actually just refurbed the pump on it tonight and tested it.  It seems to put out more heat than the propane one, and this type of stove has a better reputation in cold weather than propane does.  I don't think freezing would be a problem with the Mr. Heater because it's heating its own operating environment.  Though that can certainly be cast into doubt if the tank and regulator are sited outside but the heater is inside... but larger tank regulators are more cold tolerant than the tiny onboard ones that camp equipment have built-in.
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
Can you spitball in hours, the amount of runtime you get out of an 11# bottle?  I don't dig the idea of a 20# tank on the trailer and I kinda like the look/concept of a pair of 5# tanks affixed to either side of the trailer, kind of an Overland look.  I suspect that the Mr. Heater gets better fuel efficiency out of a larger tank than the little 1# disposables due to stouter construction, greater LPG fill level and better pressurization during the fill process, but that's just a wild ass guess.

20# is the BBQ grill size, FYI. Most campers do have dual 20# tanks on their tongues, so it wouldn't look too weird.

FYI, I've had my 11# freeze up on me nearing the last 1# or 2 in the bottle in temps below 10F. So far never had a 20# freeze up, even in sub zero temps.

From the website regarding the Big Buddy on run times.

Operating time will vary depending on the heater
setting and the supply cylinder size. (One 1 lb. cylinder:
1.5 to 6 hours. Two 1 lb. cylinders: 3 to 12 hours.
Two 20 lb. cylinders: 50 to 220 hours.) Heater may be
operated from quick disconnect, one or both regulated
inlets.

11# should get you conservatively 3-3.5 nights on the lowest setting.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »
here is something else??  http://ventedcatheater.com/2.html

Not sure of the price, but you need 12vdc to run the exhaust blower. Wouldn't get condensation from burning LP either.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 10:24:56 PM »
20# is the BBQ grill size, FYI. Most campers do have dual 20# tanks on their tongues, so it wouldn't look too weird.

Yep, I know,  I have a pair of 20# tanks for my BBQ and my beer wort boiler.  I hate transporting them because they rock all over the place and roll around.  A 5 or 10# tank I imagine would be easier to brace in a corner of the jeep trunk with a toolbox... the 20# tanks bully things around and roll on their own accord.  I'm also trying to keep tongue weight freed up for aggressive use of the cargo platform in the picture of the OP.  Whether an elk goes on there, or a small dirtbike, I have 350# tongue weight and 3500# total tow weight my JKU can handle.  

Right now I actively manage that tongue weight by putting heavier cargo items on it (stove, fuel, water jugs, cooler, etc) while headed out to the woods.  There's plans for a lightweight dual sport (CRF250R, WR250R, FE350, Zero, DRZ400, something like that) to go on the tongue, at which point 75 pounds of propane tanks would have to be relocated to make weight allowance for the bike.

Tiny 5# tanks could ride outboard on the either side near the axle, effectively giving no tongue weight.  I've seen that done with overland style trailers, elsewhere.  Maybe even tall skinny 10 or 11 pound tanks, but not short squat ones with the same diameter of the 20# tanks.
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
Yep, I know,  I have a pair of 20# tanks for my BBQ and my beer wort boiler.  I hate transporting them because they rock all over the place and roll around.  A 5 or 10# tank I imagine would be easier to brace in a corner of the jeep trunk with a toolbox... the 20# tanks bully things around and roll on their own accord.  I'm also trying to keep tongue weight freed up for aggressive use of the cargo platform in the picture of the OP.  Whether an elk goes on there, or a small dirtbike, I have 350# tongue weight and 3500# total tow weight my JKU can handle.  

Right now I actively manage that tongue weight by putting heavier cargo items on it (stove, fuel, water jugs, cooler, etc) while headed out to the woods.  There's plans for a lightweight dual sport (CRF250R, WR250R, FE350, Zero, DRZ400, something like that) to go on the tongue, at which point 75 pounds of propane tanks would have to be relocated to make weight allowance for the bike.

Tiny 5# tanks could ride outboard on the either side near the axle, effectively giving no tongue weight.  I've seen that done with overland style trailers, elsewhere.  Maybe even tall skinny 10 or 11 pound tanks, but not short squat ones with the same diameter of the 20# tanks.

Gotcha

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 12:03:50 AM »
Something like so:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5KW-5000W-Air-diesel-Heater-For-Car-Truck-Motor-homes-Boats-Bus-Van/352233358455?hash=item5202be8477:g:VJoAAOSwvApaMlpF

Seems like it'd require fabrication as well as a 12VDC source, but fuel is easy to come by.

Or you could try running diesel in a kerosene heater like this dude does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2dAx2fn9s8

Not sure if it fits his application, but I think this is a really neat product.  Thanks for sharing it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »
Something like so:

It is neat, dogmush, thanks for sharing it.  I notice that the ebay one you list is about $160, from a company with a chinese name, and there are similar products from companies with german names for 5-10x the price.  I'm guessing this is a high demand item in long haul trucking and people are willing to pay the premium for the euro-produced one over the chinese clone, for safety or efficiency?

More about the trailer it's going into...  I built it from the ground up, welded the frame and everything.  It has a 19 gallon water tank under the floor.  Aside from the two bed platforms, interior is currently sparse until I finish the issues I have with the current fabric roof system and switch it over to a more sophisticated articulated wall system.  Once structural issues with that are resolved, interior design commences and there will be an L-shaped bench around a table.  Under the cavity of the table's bench is a two piece galley kitchen that pulls out the back of the trailer.  300 pound rated sliders for the long segment which holds the burners and a work/prep surface, and separate 300 pound sliders for the pull out sink.  I have an on demand propane water heater that will also be situated under the table bench.  I'm stewing on adding a small fridge to it, and I am tempted to get an AC/DC/LPG fridge for peak flexibility, though I'd far prefer to run the fridge on DC since I have solar and a battery bank.  There's a vented composting toilet inside for solid waste that has a divider wall to give it some privacy.  Cover the waste with sawdust or ash from the campfire and smell is nonexistent.  I use biodegradable bags inside it and bury them every 2-3 days or so.  This way I have no black water tank to deal with.

Stewing on the entire project as a system, I think it's better to standardize on a single fuel source for all appliances and only vary that when I come across issues that cannot be avoided.  I should get better reliability (regarding the regulator freezing up) out of my propane stove with a larger tank and regulator.  The water heater is propane.  I already have a Mr. Heater that runs on propane, my problem is it running out of fuel on the 1# cans in the middle of the night.  Going to diesel for a heater and kerosene for a stove doesn't alter the fact that my water heater is propane, though the water heater will be so sparsely used that a 1# can should last an entire trip and then some.

But the idea of a ducted solution is kind of appealing, for presentation value and neatness.  I don't like how the Mr. Heater clutters the floor.  I'll have to look into similar offerings that burn propane rather than diesel and interface with automotive style 3" plenum and ducting, kind of like this:

https://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/hs2000-furnace/

You opened my eyes to something I didn't know existed, thanks!
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.