Author Topic: Maersk to End Use of Fossil Fuels by 2050  (Read 1799 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Maersk to End Use of Fossil Fuels by 2050
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »
They actually say both "end fossil fuel use" and be "net carbon neutral" which can mean different things. Carbon neutral can mean they are using alternative fuel elsewhere in their infrastructure to cancel out fossil fuel use in the ships.

But lets take it at face value. How? That's a LOT of fuel to replace. Biodiesel for all those ships would impact food production somewhere in the world. Plus how will you guarantee biodiesel availability in all the various ports around the world?

The only really viable alternative in the next 20-30 years would be nuclear. It would probably take them that long just to get all the permits. Then how would you secure nuclear fuel in all those commercial ships that visit sketchy parts of the world? I'm not sure if any country in the world would actually allow nuclear power on a "mobile" commercial level like that. What other fuels could possibly be adapted in that timeframe in the quantities needed to reliably power those ginormous powerplants?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/12/05/worlds-largest-shipping-firm-pledges-to-reduce-net-carbon-emissions-to-zero-by-2050/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Maersk to End Use of Fossil Fuels by 2050
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:48:07 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »
Go team nuclear!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
Maybe they can harness large teams of dolphins to tow the ships ...

Maersk is aiming to meet its target without buying carbon offsets. “If you buy offsets, you are basically delaying the pain. What you are doing is buying yourself an excuse and hoping that the money you pay goes to good uses, but you are not tackling the issue at its core,” Mr Toft said.

Sounds good, but all they are announcing is a pie-in-the-sky goal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:13:50 PM »
Because I have a personal commitment to combating climate change, I pledge to cut my food and beverage intake to zero by 2080.
:lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 10:14:54 PM »
They likely mean a net zero emissions value.  I assume they will come up with some crazy carbon accounting that lets them claim victory without having to actually accomplish anything.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 10:34:07 PM »
Return of sailing?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 12:56:15 AM »
They likely mean a net zero emissions value.  I assume they will come up with some crazy carbon accounting that lets them claim victory without having to actually accomplish anything.

That's not what they seem to be saying.

Maersk is aiming to meet its target without buying carbon offsets. “If you buy offsets, you are basically delaying the pain. What you are doing is buying yourself an excuse and hoping that the money you pay goes to good uses, but you are not tackling the issue at its core,” Mr Toft said.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 05:52:54 AM »
They gave themselves a 30 year deadline. Unless commercial nuclear becomes more viable by then, they'll just extend the deadline until it does.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 06:13:41 AM »
Nuke powered cargo ships have been done before.  Granted it was a one-off government funded demonstrator.  I toured this one as a kid living in Portland, OR.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 08:04:20 AM »
Cargo blimps?

Uranus is a gas giant.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
Are they thinking electric with solar and wind generators maybe? I think that’s probably unrealistic at this time. Also battery weight would seriously affect the amount of cargo they could carry. Maybe it could substitute for some ballast though.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
Are they thinking electric with solar and wind generators maybe? I think that’s probably unrealistic at this time. Also battery weight would seriously affect the amount of cargo they could carry. Maybe it could substitute for some ballast though.

Ballast is adjustable.  You tweak it with every load.  That's why you use cheap things you can throw overboard. (water or rocks)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 11:28:09 AM »

(^Note relative wind direction indicated by  pennant.)

:rofl:

Image credits in Properties

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »
Fuel cells perhaps? Using something direct would avoid a need to carry blargh and heavy battery cells.

Moving through the ocean, it's not like they'd have an issue using salt water for the fuel cells.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
^What are you going to  use for fuel in your fuel cells?

Whatever amount of energy-per-time it takes to move a loaded cargo ship through the water with conventional fuels, it will take the same amount of energy-per-time with fuel cells.

I had read somewhere that someone's planning (or has already done it) to use high-flying kites to assist in moving ships along.  Now that's (more or less) "free" energy-per-time.  Of course, that's just sailing with unconventional sails.

Terry

NOTE: There are salt water batteries, and in fact that was one way to power military torpedoes.  But there's still consumption of raw materials... which took energy to refine and process.  Example: some navigational buoys are run with salt water batteries, where the anodes are discarded Volkswagen magnesium engine blocks.  Imagine the energy investment in mining, transporting, refining, and fashioning those engine blocks.

TANSTAAFL

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch." (Heinlein, I believe.)

That's one of the biggest pitfalls in bright ideas to save energy: the fact that the infra-processing takes energy, too, although that can sometimes be amortized out.  But let's face it, even the headlights in your car don't light up the road for free.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:04:01 AM by 230RN »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
Sail was used for how many centuries before external or internal combustion? So what if we don't get fresh fruit from Vietnam anymore?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
Sail was used for how many centuries before external or internal combustion? So what if we don't get fresh fruit from Vietnam anymore?

The problem we would have, at least in the shorter term, is similar to the "terrorist attack on a port" scenario. Delays of shipped goods in Long Beach would have empty store shelves in Denver in very little time. We get an inordinate amount of goods in from other countries using an extremely complex multiple-mode transportation system. It doesn't take much to create the butterfly/hurricane effect.

Certainly that could be addressed with very long term planing, but we don't seem to be good at that these days.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
The problem we would have, at least in the shorter term, is similar to the "terrorist attack on a port" scenario. Delays of shipped goods in Long Beach would have empty store shelves in Denver in very little time. We get an inordinate amount of goods in from other countries using an extremely complex multiple-mode transportation system. It doesn't take much to create the butterfly/hurricane effect.

Certainly that could be addressed with very long term planing, but we don't seem to be good at that these days.

You could bring regional/local warehouses and larger retail storerooms back.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
You could bring regional/local warehouses and larger retail storerooms back.

Or, heck -- we could start making stuff in the U.S. again.

Nah. It'd never work.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 02:01:41 PM »
Sail was used for how many centuries before external or internal combustion?

Wind it is

https://www.apnews.com/6a1d4a285e8b404582ae19e0e3f3c0c4
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
Nothing more than a dream.   

JN01

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »
Kill two birds with one stone- refugees with oars.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
Wind it is

https://www.apnews.com/6a1d4a285e8b404582ae19e0e3f3c0c4

Just FTR:  Those Rotor Sails Maersk is playing with are a Sail Assist system.  They are expected to reduce fuel consumption by 7=10%, and the last I saw on real numbers in an industry article it was more like 4%-5% real world.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 04:07:33 PM »
Standard propulsion supplemented by Flettnor rotors.

https://infogalactic.com/info/Flettner_rotor
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.