Author Topic: Something annoying about all of the references to George HW Bush  (Read 1280 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Something annoying about all of the references to George HW Bush
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:51:16 AM »
George Bush flew a Grumman TBM Avenger during WW II. The Avenger was a torpedo bomber. Yet I can't count the number of references I've seen to Bush being a "fighter pilot."

Hell, even George W. referenced his Dad being a fighter pilot in his eulogy yesterday.

I'm not sure why all of these references are getting it wrong. Is it just a "everything on a carrier was a fighter" kind of mentality, or is it "fighters are sexier, and more manly"?

If the former, yeah, I sort of get that. If they latter, no I DON'T get that at all, because the torpedo bombers like the Avenger saw a lot more use in the Pacific as precision bombers and close air support than as torpedo planes, and to do that *expletive deleted*it? You need balls of amazing girth and made of the highest quality brass.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Something annoying about all of the references to George HW Bush
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »
I think it's lack of knowledge. Bush 43 was a pilot himself, but I doubt he paid much attention to the different roles played by aircraft in WW2. Especially because newer aircraft seem to often play multiple roles ("Fighter/Bomber" etc.). To the general public, WW2 aircraft are probably thought of as "fighters," "bombers," or "cargo" and that's about all most people can handle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:59:59 AM »
I think it's more about PR and the tendency to glorify the recently dead than anything else.  Fighter pilot sounds sexier than bomber pilot. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
Honestly, when I heard George W. say "signed up to be a fighter pilot" and then, shortly after "the loss of his crew", I assumed George H. W. Bush had signed up to be a fighter pilot but became a bomber pilot and George W. had elided that transition.

Because my mind immediately said to me that "fighters don't have crews" and knew he had been a bomber pilot.

You are probably right that he (and many others) were just incorrect.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 06:25:52 PM »
While technically not a "fighter" pilot, I can see him being called one. While they didn't go one on one with another plane, they weren't like what you would normally think of when you hear "bomber"; something like a B-29 flying way up high making it rain bombs. From reading about their actions in the book Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, they basically went one on one with an enemy ship.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:54:48 PM »
Honestly, when I heard George W. say "signed up to be a fighter pilot" and then, shortly after "the loss of his crew", I assumed George H. W. Bush had signed up to be a fighter pilot but became a bomber pilot and George W. had elided that transition.

Because my mind immediately said to me that "fighters don't have crews" and knew he had been a bomber pilot.

You are probably right that he (and many others) were just incorrect.

You know... I did the same "Wait? What? Crew?" but then I forgot about it as they continued.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:20:57 PM »
I've no problem with it.
"Fighter Pilot" may not be entirely accurate but I'd buy any Avenger pilot/crew a beer any day of the week.
Late models were well fitted with guns as well.

http://worldwar2headquarters.com/HTML/aircraft/americanAircraft/avenger.html
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
I know a lot about WW II carrier aircraft and carrier operations, and it bothers me when I hear things like that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
Every swinging dick that flew a plane off a carrier in WW2  deployed to a war zone was a fighter, oh wait, that's not the same is it? ;)

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 09:22:29 PM »
I'll give it a pass, if 23 of your 24 planes don't come back from a sortie then fighter pilot is just decent shorthand for gigiantic brass balls and we'll never be close to that cool.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 09:25:02 PM »
I know a lot about WW II carrier aircraft and carrier operations, and it bothers me when I hear things like that.

Which part?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 06:50:23 AM »
Which part?

I think I more than adequately outlined my angst on this subject.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 07:02:41 AM »
"I assumed George H. W. Bush had signed up to be a fighter pilot but became a bomber pilot and George W. had elided that transition."

You didn't sign up to be a fighter pilot.

You sign up to be a Naval aviator cadet. If you made it through all of the preliminary testing, education, and training, you graduated with the rank of Ensign and went on to preliminary flight school.

It wasn't until you hit advanced flight training that you were ASSIGNED, based on everything that came before, as well as your performance in advanced flight training, to be either a single engine (figher, torpedo bomber, or dive bomber) or multi-engine pilot.

Probably every kid who signed up for the Army Air Corps or the Navy had visions of being a fighter pilot, but no one walked in, said "I'm signing up to fly the F4F!" and actually got that without going through the training program.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
Maybe he did go in thinking he was signing up to be a fighter pilot. Once he got there he learned the harsh reality of being assigned where needed. He is lucky he didn't end up flying a Grumman Goose out of Adak. You just never knew what pipeline you were going to get thrown into, needs of the service and all that stuff. ;)

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »
Didn't some WWII night fighters have a "crew" in terms of a pilot and a radar operator?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 11:47:00 PM »
Didn't some WWII night fighters have a "crew" in terms of a pilot and a radar operator?

P-61 Black Widow...
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 05:05:47 AM »
So having a crew versus not having a crew does not differentiate a "fighter pilot" from a non-"fighter pilot," right?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
No, the type of plane you fly and its Mission determines whether you are a fighter pilot or a torpedo bomber pilot.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »
"Maybe he did go in thinking he was signing up to be a fighter pilot. "

Very doubtful. And if he did walk in the door thinking he was signing up to be a fighter pilot that would have been dispelled within the first few minutes of his walking in the door as the process was explained to him and the rest of the Naval aviator candidates.