Author Topic: How to be invisible on the internet  (Read 873 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
How to be invisible on the internet
« on: December 08, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
I know, not possible. I ran across this link and did learn a couple things though. I had no idea you could turn off the collection of data and formation of targeted ads in android.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-07/how-be-invisible-internet
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: How to be invisible on the internet
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
They left out VPN.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »
Much easier to have a very visible and (mostly) benign online presence that doesn't suggest you're a  "whack-job" or threat to a tyrannical government.
If you don't want "them" to know about it don't put it on the interwebz.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:06:06 AM »
Much easier to have a very visible and (mostly) benign online presence that doesn't suggest you're a  "whack-job" or threat to a tyrannical government.

QFT

They can still profile you by browsing habits, locations and purchases.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:08:00 PM »
This is outdated advice. Since the European Union has enacted rules requiring sites to allow visitors to "opt in" on cookies, more and more sites won't allow you to view or visit without agreeing to accept their cookies. So if your browser is set to reject cookies, you'll just get more pop-ups asking you to accept their cookies before you can access the site.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
Much easier to have a very visible and (mostly) benign online presence that doesn't suggest you're a  "whack-job" or threat to a tyrannical government.

As a friend once told me- keep the noise to signal ratio high by using social media to post lots of food pictures and cat recipes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 12:53:16 PM »
This is outdated advice. Since the European Union has enacted rules requiring sites to allow visitors to "opt in" on cookies, more and more sites won't allow you to view or visit without agreeing to accept their cookies. So if your browser is set to reject cookies, you'll just get more pop-ups asking you to accept their cookies before you can access the site.

If I really want to read the article or visit the site I accept the cookies. I’m using the Duck Duck Go mobile browser so I just dump everything periodically. Not a perfect solution I know.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:53:34 PM »

My SOP when that happens (and yeah, I've seen a big uptick) is to tell the site to go jump in the lake. I simply stop visiting sites that want me to jump through hoops. I managed to live ~35 years of my life with no internet at all. If I don't visit one out of a bajillion websites, no big loss.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."