Author Topic: Corner Gas on Amazon Prime  (Read 826 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Corner Gas on Amazon Prime
« on: December 07, 2018, 07:19:50 PM »
I brought up this comedy series here many years ago. It's about a quirky small town on the Canadian prairie. Not only the best Canadian show I've ever watched, but it's as good or surpasses many US comedies. They also manage to do this while remaining G rated. Infrequent sexual innuendo is very light, and I doubt any kid would pick it up. About the least "G" is the main character's dad (my favorite character on the show), who is oblivious to all and calls everyone a jackass.

Anyway, I bring it up again now because I saw that it's available on Amazon Prime. So, highly recommended you bunch of jackasses!  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
Re: Corner Gas on Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
And here I thought this thread was going to be about Amazon getting into the fossil fuel industry...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:59:44 AM »
Great show. I'm pretty I remember seeing it on TV at some point as I seemed to recognize it when it came to my attention again some time ago.
I ended up binge watching it at one point, and kind of ended up hating everyone by the end. Still really funny though.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »
About the least "G" is the main character's dad (my favorite character on the show), who is oblivious to all and calls everyone a jackass.

Anyway, I bring it up again now because I saw that it's available on Amazon Prime. So, highly recommended you bunch of jackasses!  =D

I can't stand shows that portray the father figure as a bumbling fool or thereabouts.   The stereotype has been driven into the culture to the point where it is destroying families.   It shows (and teaches) kids not to be respectful to the "clueless" fathers, and wives to constantly nag and berate their husbands.

The Hamburger Moment
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
I can't stand shows that portray the father figure as a bumbling fool or thereabouts.   The stereotype has been driven into the culture to the point where it is destroying families.   It shows (and teaches) kids not to be respectful to the "clueless" fathers, and wives to constantly nag and berate their husbands.

The Hamburger Moment

Agreed.  I got tired of the bumbling idiot portrayal of hubbies a long time ago.  I don't know how that "meme" got started --Dagwood Bumstead/Blondie cartoons and movies...?  At least "Married... with children" pretty much balanced the foibles of the characters to great comedic effect.

That "Mad About You" sitcom with Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt, with her snide superiority, got me so mad that I only watched it three or four times.  That was enough of a sample for me.

So:  Agreed.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
Don't forget The Simpsons. Though, it's much stronger in Family Guy.....
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
^ Just two more of the "meme," is all.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
I watched the first episode of Corner Gas last night... and then I watched 7 more.   =D  Yeah, it is a good show and it really sucked me in.  I can see myslef finishing the whole series in just a few days.

Thanks, Ben.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »
I watched the first episode of Corner Gas last night... and then I watched 7 more.   =D  Yeah, it is a good show and it really sucked me in.  I can see myslef finishing the whole series in just a few days.

Thanks, Ben.

Glad you liked it Jackass!  :laugh:

Like many good shows, I think it went about a season too long, but also like many good shows, the middle seasons, where they get their stride, are great.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."