Author Topic: More California Environmental Insanity  (Read 948 times)

m1911owner

• friend
More California Environmental Insanity
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:26:03 PM »
I just heard on the radio that the (San Francisco) Bay Area Air Quality Managment District is trying to put through a law that would put people in jail for using a fireplace or wood stove on a "Spare the Air Day."

I note that there are many more "Spare the Air Days" this year than in the past.  This is not because our air is dirtier than in the past (in fact, the air is much cleaner than it used to be).  Rather, it is because they've changed the definition of "dirty air" (again).

(An irony I just have to point out is that wood stoves have long been the "environmentalists'" preferred method of "ecologically sound" heating. Sad)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: More California Environmental Insanity
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 04:40:44 AM »
I'm surprised SnFran hasn't decided to jail people for eating fatty foods or smoking cigarettes.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »
California also thinks that burning natural gas doesn't emit CO2, apparently.  They're building gas-fired electric generating plants.  The gas is imported from Canada since you can't drill in California.  Canada is selling gas faster than it's finding new reserves.  Eventually...

But since gas emits fewer particulates than coal...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 06:58:38 AM »
We have a coal burning power plant in the town I recently moved from. On any calm day and on some days when the wind was from the right direction, one could smell the sulfur dioxide in the air or see a yellowish-brown haze over the area. Personally, I would like to see more nuclear power plants. They are clean and efficient.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

wacki

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 09:18:32 PM »
I'm surprised SnFran hasn't decided to jail people for eating fatty foods or smoking cigarettes.

New York did that for trans fatty foods not to long ago.

Limeyfellow

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 11:40:54 PM »
We have a coal burning power plant in the town I recently moved from. On any calm day and on some days when the wind was from the right direction, one could smell the sulfur dioxide in the air or see a yellowish-brown haze over the area. Personally, I would like to see more nuclear power plants. They are clean and efficient.

Thats because expanding and using old power plants doesn't require the same sort of cleaning equipment requirements as a new one would so all the cleaning up acts they wrote for new plants don't effect what we been pumping out that much. Making the limits apply to all power plants would help right now.

Its a bit of a silly limitation especially in winter for northern california. Perhaps they should have these when its perhaps warm. I'll end up paying out my arse if I had to rely on only gas heating.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 01:37:30 AM »
Power plants have been built according to the EPA rules in place at the time.  As anti-pollution technology has advanced, the rules have become stricter and the plants cleaner.  The problem for retrofit is the cost versus the remaining lifespan of any particular plant. 

Over-simplified, if it cost a billion dollars to build a plant and it's halfway through its lifespan, it's not good money management to spend another billion dollars for retrofit of anti-pollution equipment.  Another obvious problem is that the customers would scream like banshees at the increased cost of electricity.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 03:27:14 AM »

New York did that for trans fatty foods not to long ago.

Not exactly.  They prohibited restaurants from using them.  No word on whether they have jailed anyone yet for using Crisco.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 04:36:18 AM »
I just heard on the radio that the (San Francisco) Bay Area Air Quality Managment District is trying to put through a law that would put people in jail for using a fireplace or wood stove on a "Spare the Air Day."

To me, the fragrant, sharp notes of woodsmoke on a crisp morning is one of the pleasures of New England. White woodsmoke curling from a chimney...I can think of a lot more polluting things!

Though here, I WOULD do something against people who burn some sort of cheapa__ greenwood like cargo pallets or something and stink up the neighborhood.  cheesy Hardwood fires smell wonderful, but some people burn something, whatever it is, that causes an eyewatering miasma. It's like "WTF are you burning, peat?!"

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 08:22:56 AM »
It's like "WTF are you burning, peat?!"
Perhaps they were burning Pete from PETA, who really deserved it. Wink  But that's a whole 'nuther thread.  Smiley