Author Topic: Dumbest or greatest work excuse  (Read 976 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Dumbest or greatest work excuse
« on: December 22, 2018, 12:51:11 AM »
Ok, I'm bored and starting random topics. But a rather legendary story can up at work and theoretically I may need excuses one day.

Co worker buddy of mine calls in one day and leaves a voicemail for all three bosses that he can't come in because he has anal glaucoma. Only one got the joke. Yes, it is the oldest joke out there for work excuses, just none of us were dumb or brilliant enough to use it.

Another former coworker called the boss and said he would not be in because he had shat the bed. He went into detail and the boss kept the voicemail for a long time so he could get a good laugh when he needed one.  Not saying I might not have the same misfortune, but I'm making up an excuse. Maybe even using the one from one of our near senior citizen employees that they couldn't make it because their new puppy was sick.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Dumbest or greatest work excuse
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:53:43 AM »
Someone apparently has too much time on his hands.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 04:24:02 AM »
I’ve called in sick because I couldn’t get out of my driveway.

Heavy snow caused a tree to fall on my driveway that I couldn’t get around.  It took me about two hours to get it cleared and that was after I changed into proper clothing for the job.  Fun times.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:16:19 AM »
My work simply doesn't care. Their mindset is that they're your days, use them as you like. Feel like going fishing? Cool. Got something to do on that mandated OT Saturday? No problem. Just don't bitch to us if you don't have them when you need them, didn't have the hours to cover it, and you're not getting your holiday pay if you call out on the scheduled work day on either side of the holiday.

It's nice, but certainly takes a bit of spice out of hearing good excuses people dream up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
We had a guy call in because he had 24 hour Ebola.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
I’ve called in sick because I couldn’t get out of my driveway.

I've done the same, my driveway is slightly uphill to get out and we had freezing rain.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
My work simply doesn't care. Their mindset is that they're your days, use them as you like. Feel like going fishing? Cool. Got something to do on that mandated OT Saturday? No problem. Just don't bitch to us if you don't have them when you need them, didn't have the hours to cover it, and you're not getting your holiday pay if you call out on the scheduled work day on either side of the holiday.

It's nice, but certainly takes a bit of spice out of hearing good excuses people dream up.

The company I work for is more or less the same way for hourly folks.  They are called "sick/personal" days in our system.  Only so many hours allowed and then they are using vacation or get nothing for the lost hours.  Salary might be another issue, but it depends on the boss and how much you do it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
My company doesn't employ "non-essential personnel". ;/
Weather be damned, I'm expected to have my ass at work on time and our managers will call from home to make sure I'm there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »
Downside of being the right hand of the boss and being considered part of the family is there isn't really any getting away with faking a call in sick.  =|

Some mornings I wish I could, though...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 07:09:32 AM »
More than once I've canned work for a sick dog.

Dogs come first.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 08:20:44 AM »

Same boat with us.
Too many consecutive days and they can ask for documentation from the doctor, that's all.

I'm almost to 6 weeks saved up.  I use them occasionally but I'd like to have a good 3 months+ saved.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
In healthcare, we have generally done away with separate sick and vacation days. Everything is in one bucket called PTO (paid time off). At my system, you can accumulate up to 200 hours total and then accumulation stops.  It is theoretically to encourage people to take vacation for life/work balance; but another major factor was to limit the financial hit when people leave and the PTO is paid out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 09:48:19 AM »
In healthcare, we have generally done away with separate sick and vacation days. Everything is in one bucket called PTO (paid time off). At my system, you can accumulate up to 200 hours total and then accumulation stops.  It is theoretically to encourage people to take vacation for life/work balance; but another major factor was to limit the financial hit when people leave and the PTO is paid out.

The simple solution is to quit paying out for PTO when people leave.  You use it or lose it.  My employer did that some time back.  I am surprised more haven't followed that model.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »
The simple solution is to quit paying out for PTO when people leave.  You use it or lose it.  My employer did that some time back.  I am surprised more haven't followed that model.

Since a pretty large chunk of the typical healthcare workforce (nurses in the hospitals) are unionized, amending the contracts to do this will never fly with the union.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »
Yeah we no longer call them sick days since moving to PTO, they're now "unscheduled full day occurrences". Folk can call in up to five times per year, with an occurrence being up to two consecutive business days, so essentially up to ten unscheduled days per year if you were to do two days each time. But, you gotta have hours to cover them.

Which brings us to unpaid/unscheduled time off "UTO". In addition to the PTO we earn weekly, every January we get a bank of 36 UTO hours, they don't roll like PTO, so it's just the yearly allotment. These cover running late, having to leave early cause something unplanned came up, etc. Only rub is it's always charged as a full hour regardless if you ran 5 minutes late or a full hour late. When UTO comes in, PTO is optional and only gets charged as well if you want to get paid for the time.

Full day call outs only charge UTO if you don't have PTO to cover the full day. Useful if you come home with vacation crud or something with only six hours of PTO. In which case you'd get six hours PTO charged, and two unpaid hours of UTO charged (assuming an eight hour scheduled day).

Here's where it gets fun though. Once you've gone through your allowed number of call ins, you can keep calling in....using UTO. So assuming you work an eight hour schedule and never use your PTO for anything else, that max of ten days magically becomes 14. Or you can just show up for work an hour late 36 times a year..

When we switched to PTO there was much pissing and moaning. But the system gaming with the full policy, especially the UTO part, is why I was sitting there shaking my head with.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.