Author Topic: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect  (Read 18581 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2019, 12:15:11 PM »
Isn't the State of the Union a constitutional requirement?

But, the date, time, and manner of it is not. It could be a simple report emailed to congress. No speech necessary.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »
But, the date, time, and manner of it is not. It could be a simple report emailed to congress. No speech necessary.

That sounds like a good thing to me.  Trump email the congress from the golf course.  He fulfills his duties, and the dems don't get a rebuttal.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2019, 04:52:53 PM »
The Washington Post is reporting that Pelosi has invited Trump to deliver his SOTU in the House on February 5th.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
The Washington Post is reporting that Pelosi has invited Trump to deliver his SOTU in the House on February 5th.

Good, when its out of the way we can get back to the shutdown  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2019, 08:14:21 PM »
I was wondering if Pelosi has re-scheduled her Afghanistan junket yet.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »
On the State of the Union:
In the absence of firm constraints, this little bit of our institutional order has—like almost all of the others—mutated into something bigger, dumber, and more dysfunctional than the Framers ever could have imagined; a spectacle with bloated, forgettable prose, guest galleries full of tokens and totems, and a full hour of competitive hand clapping.
One of the few fringe benefits of this presidency has been the withering of certain institutions built on professional Washington’s enormous self-regard. Absent a “cool” president, or at least one who’ll play along, we’ve seen the end of the celebrity-studded Kennedy Center galas and the auto-destruction of the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. When House Speaker Nancy Pelosi canceled her initial invitation to deliver the State of the Union in light of the government shutdown, I nurtured hope that the president would respond by deflating its importance, as well.

Absent that, I thought he might at least replace the event with a kind of “Taco Bell Presents SOTU Fest 2019: Live From the Rose Garden and With a Special Performance by Nickelback.
:laugh:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2019, 12:08:47 PM »
Let Nickelback play while the Democrats do their opposition response.  That way I can turn off both of them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife