Author Topic: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect  (Read 18694 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »
First, the Independence Day references are money

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:40:39 AM by jamisjockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »
Damnit wrong file
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2019, 09:30:59 PM »
Of course not, but that money got diverted to the secret research facility in Area 51.  If we defund that, how will we defend ourselves when the aliens* attack?

Space Wall!!!!!

*extraterrestrials, not the other kind.

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl:
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
:rofl: :rofl:

Not to be a party pooper, but I don't think federal employees did themselves any favors with the going to food banks a day after the first missed check went by, or by complaining that they didn't have the money for gas to get to work.

At a current average salary of around $80K/yr, they make more dough than the average American. $50K/yr people who work in the private sector, where they can be fired or laid off at a drop of a hat, can't sympathize with stuff like that.

Anyone, whether gov or private sector, that can't make it through one missed paycheck without hitting the food bank and having to walk there because their car is out of gas, is likely living above their means. They need to cut out the cable or use a dumb phone instead of an iPhone X or something until they have a few hundred to a few thousand dollars in an emergency fund.

Most gov employees have credit cards. They could have used those for food or gas for a couple of weeks (just as they'd likely be doing without the shutdown), since unlike private sector employees, they knew they were getting paid at some point to pay back the card. Also they had the option to take an interest free TSP loan. Even if they don't contribute to TSP, the gov does for them, so only an under one year employee would have less than a few hundred dollars in the account. Most are going to have thousands to tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars in their TSP that they could have used to buy groceries or make a house payment. Once you get your back pay, put the dough back in the TSP - it's practically seamless. Though lenders, utilities, etc. were giving fed employees breaks on due dates of their bills that no one in the private sector gets if they are laid off.

So while it's never cool to be expected to work without pay or be furloughed, the fed employees* that made the news did not do fed employees in general any favors. I guess they made good soundbytes for liberal politicians, but none of that endeared them to working people in general.

*I'll caveat the USCG here. While they are actually in general paid well (and have TSP), I know newbie enlisted in the USCG don't make much money until they move up to around E-3.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2019, 10:24:27 AM »
Oh I fully agree. That was a bad look.  Our union hammered on degrading safety because of work not being done on equipment, programs being halted, etc.  We are now over 2 months behind on projects that were supposed to be completed this FY.  Modernization and upgrades the airlines desperately want done.

It was also fully intentional on the part of the media. They searched out the people who really couldn't miss a paycheck, or were willing to play the victim card.
This is also why the real breaking point was the second missed paycheck with the senate voting no on both of those bills.  All indications were that it would be another 30 days, because the house and senate were entering a home-work period.  Most were headed back to their districts this weekend.  Our union's lead legislative rep didn't expect any movement for 30 more days.

And being expected to work for eventual backpay? *expletive deleted*ck that.  That's a dick move on the government.  They get their cake and to eat it, too.
Shut it down all the way next time or not at all.  These fake shutdowns are bullshit.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2019, 10:35:13 AM »
Oh I fully agree. That was a bad look.  Our union hammered on degrading safety because of work not being done on equipment, programs being halted, etc.  We are now over 2 months behind on projects that were supposed to be completed this FY.  Modernization and upgrades the airlines desperately want done.

In fact I'll bet you dollars to donuts, very little of that kind of stuff makes it into the MSM, and adding it all up across agencies, it'll be a lot of dough. It's also something that might be more sympathized with by average Americans, because their taxes have to pay for that.

Instead, the MSM focused on the TSA people hired off the back of pizza boxes. Which was also funny, because the lefty MSM usually attacks (in many ways rightly, IMO) TSA. Yet throughout the shutdown, they were the heroes of the people.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2019, 10:48:13 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/few-americans-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-1000-emergency.html

Perhaps this does not apply to APS members, but 60% of Americans cannot cover a $ 1000 emergency bill.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/few-americans-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-1000-emergency.html

Perhaps this does not apply to APS members, but 60% of Americans cannot cover a $ 1000 emergency bill.

Most people do live paycheck to paycheck. 

JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »

One reason I said "anyone" above. There are always legitimate exceptions, but all too often, especially at the lower income levels, the latest smartphone is more important than $500 socked away for emergencies.

Also, JMO, but if you're relatively wealthy (on paper) and buy a $100K fancy car but don't have the money for a new water heater, it's hard for me to feel sorry for you.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »

I have seen those articles.  I've also seen articles with the $400 number thrown out as what most people can't cover.

The Mean Household Income in the US is ~$70k, and the Median is ~$52k.  While there is real poverty in the US, and a few places that are crushingly expensive to live, I look at those incomes, and the 60% of the US number, and have to come to the conclusion that ~30%-35% of Americans are stupid and reckless when it comes to their finances.  I understand not having 3 or 4 months bills tucked away somewhere, but you should be able to come up with $1k liquid if you are making $50k-$70k.  Those folks are making poor decisions.

I have an employee that works in my shop (Fed.gov employee + Army Reservist) Who I know for a fact takes home $65k a year.  He can't keep his car running and his $89k house is being foreclosed on.  But it's not because he's got poverty wages or anything, it's because he makes stupid decisions.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2019, 11:51:15 AM »
One reason I said "anyone" above. There are always legitimate exceptions, but all too often, especially at the lower income levels, the latest smartphone is more important than $500 socked away for emergencies.

Also, JMO, but if you're relatively wealthy (on paper) and buy a $100K fancy car but don't have the money for a new water heater, it's hard for me to feel sorry for you.

It's because if they blow all their money on candy, when something important but unscheduled comes up (medical bill, car repair, etc) they expect someone soft-hearted (soft-headed is more like it) to pay it for them, and they'll never have to pay the money back.  So they get their bills paid and candy too.  Leeches is what they really are.  They spend all their money specifically so they won't have it for emergencies.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »
It's because if they blow all their money on candy, when something important but unscheduled comes up (medical bill, car repair, etc) they expect someone soft-hearted (soft-headed is more like it) to pay it for them, and they'll never have to pay the money back.  So they get their bills paid and candy too.  Leeches is what they really are.  They spend all their money specifically so they won't have it for emergencies.

One (not really ha ha) funny article I read interviewed a TSA worker. She said she wouldn't have been able to eat if Chick-Fil-A wasn't providing lunch at her airport. She also said how unfair it was that (paraphrasing) someone like her, putting her life on the line protecting the public with a badge, but they don't even get her a gun, is being hurt like this.

One of her more infuriating quotes regarded the interviewer bringing up the 0% interest loans that Navy Federal Credit Union was making available to all impacted workers. She complained that if she took the loan, they would make her give the money back with her back pay, so how does that help her?  ;/

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
Not to be a party pooper, but I don't think federal employees did themselves any favors with the going to food banks a day after the first missed check went by, or by complaining that they didn't have the money for gas to get to work.

At a current average salary of around $80K/yr, they make more dough than the average American. $50K/yr people who work in the private sector, where they can be fired or laid off at a drop of a hat, can't sympathize with stuff like that.

Anyone, whether gov or private sector, that can't make it through one missed paycheck without hitting the food bank and having to walk there because their car is out of gas, is likely living above their means. They need to cut out the cable or use a dumb phone instead of an iPhone X or something until they have a few hundred to a few thousand dollars in an emergency fund.

Most gov employees have credit cards. They could have used those for food or gas for a couple of weeks (just as they'd likely be doing without the shutdown), since unlike private sector employees, they knew they were getting paid at some point to pay back the card. Also they had the option to take an interest free TSP loan. Even if they don't contribute to TSP, the gov does for them, so only an under one year employee would have less than a few hundred dollars in the account. Most are going to have thousands to tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars in their TSP that they could have used to buy groceries or make a house payment. Once you get your back pay, put the dough back in the TSP - it's practically seamless. Though lenders, utilities, etc. were giving fed employees breaks on due dates of their bills that no one in the private sector gets if they are laid off.

So while it's never cool to be expected to work without pay or be furloughed, the fed employees* that made the news did not do fed employees in general any favors. I guess they made good soundbytes for liberal politicians, but none of that endeared them to working people in general.

*I'll caveat the USCG here. While they are actually in general paid well (and have TSP), I know newbie enlisted in the USCG don't make much money until they move up to around E-3.

Speaking of both USCG personnel and local federal employees, Hurricane Florence wiped out a lot of rainy day funds, same thing  down in Panama City.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #214 on: January 26, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »
Well, why should any of these people manage their money properly? It's not like their bosses can figure out a budget either.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »
Having traveled to Vegas and back (Mon- there, Fri- Chicago).  I saw a lot fewer TSA folks yet, the lines we a lot less and moved faster then when there are "Thousands Standing Around".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2019, 06:15:08 AM »
Well, why should any of these people manage their money properly? It's not like their bosses can figure out a budget either.

Excellent point.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2019, 07:07:39 AM »
Having traveled to Vegas and back (Mon- there, Fri- Chicago).  I saw a lot fewer TSA folks yet, the lines we a lot less and moved faster then when there are "Thousands Standing Around".

SHOT show?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
So it appears Pelosi will still not allow the SOTU on 29JAN, and is in fact thinking of giving one herself. What would be hilarious is if Trump gives the SOTU at the exact same time in a different venue. :)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
So it appears Pelosi will still not allow the SOTU on 29JAN, and is in fact thinking of giving one herself. What would be hilarious is if Trump gives the SOTU at the exact same time in a different venue. :)

Which  means he will choose the venue and it will be a rally not an SOTU.  And she looks like a petty tyrant for denying the sitting President the podium in front of the house and senate.
She whipped his ass with the shutdown....and is going to hand him a victory on a silver platter over the SOTU?  God damn she's dumb.
JD

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »
SHOT show?

I went to pick up my award at the AVN show...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »

Da Faq?

Why?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »
Da Faq?

Why?

Petulance?

I just heard this via Steve Scalice on the newz this morning, so don't know how concrete it is. He was talking about maybe 05FEB, but I don't know if that was his suggestion for an alternate time, or what. He said the President was ready to do it on 29JAN.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2019, 06:38:19 PM »
Only place the story was linked on yahoo news...so forgive the huffpo.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/nancy-pelosi-trump-apos-state-095517171.html
JD

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2019, 12:09:43 PM »
Isn't the State of the Union a constitutional requirement?

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?