Author Topic: Family of Otto Warmbier awarded over half a billion dollars  (Read 547 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Family of Otto Warmbier awarded over half a billion dollars
« on: December 25, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/24/politics/otto-warmbier-north-korea-judgment/index.html

Collecting on the default judgement will be another thing entirely, given that NK has few assets in the US to seize.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Family of Otto Warmbier awarded over half a billion dollars
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 01:17:26 PM »
A paper victory.

I feel for the family but there is a very loud voice in my head that says he tried to commit suicide while in custody and only failed because he was found before death but not before anoxic brain injury. I could be completely off base but it is as plausible as the alleged torture of a foreign citizen by the Norks. While they seem to have no issues with torturing their own citizens there isn't much of a track record of torture of foreigners that may have to be released that I can find.

I also feel this is another judgement that was driven by emotion and "punishment" of the offenders rather than reasoned judgement.

That's all.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
If you are *expletive deleted*ing stupid enough to voluntarily travel to North Korea I have no sympathy for the results.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
What the last 2 fellers said.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
If you are *expletive deleted*ing stupid enough to voluntarily travel to North Korea I have no sympathy for the results.

Beat me to that punch..
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »
I certainly don't take any pleasure from his injuries and death, but Warmbier showed about as much sense as the three hikers Darwin award contestants some years ago who went hiking in eastern Iraq along the Iranian border right after the Gulf War's official end . . . and were grabbed by the Iranians.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 07:53:44 PM »
I certainly don't take any pleasure from his injuries and death, but Warmbier showed about as much sense as the three hikers Darwin award contestants some years ago who went hiking in eastern Iraq along the Iranian border right after the Gulf War's official end . . . and were grabbed by the Iranians.

Play stupid games,  win stupid prizes.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 07:58:39 PM »
Absolutely pointless gesture that wasted a lot of time and money.

I'm pretty sure the Norks could give a rats ass about having what little US held assets seized. They couldn't touch any of it, so it might have well already been gone as far as they are concerned.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds