Author Topic: An Eagle Huntress of Mongolia  (Read 537 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
An Eagle Huntress of Mongolia
« on: December 25, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
I thought this was a really cool story. I've gained a recent interest in Mongolian culture after going down the rabbit hole of Warren's Mongolian rock thread. This seems to be a growing trend. Even in many of the music videos I found, the theme seems to be about "going back to the old ways".

I think it's pretty cool that iPhone-carrying Mongolian youth are embracing their roots like this. As long as they don't start taking over the Eurasian continent again.  =D

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/22/world/asia/mongolia-golden-eagle-festival.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: An Eagle Huntress of Mongolia
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »
I thought this was a really cool story. I've gained a recent interest in Mongolian culture after going down the rabbit hole of Warren's Mongolian rock thread. This seems to be a growing trend. Even in many of the music videos I found, the theme seems to be about "going back to the old ways".

I think it's pretty cool that iPhone-carrying Mongolian youth are embracing their roots like this. As long as they don't start taking over the Eurasian continent again.  =D

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/22/world/asia/mongolia-golden-eagle-festival.html

Why not? Europe could use a good Mongolian invasion...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »
Why not? Europe could use a good Mongolian invasion...

Concur.
Much more opportunity for delicious Schadenfreude watching that way than with a plague.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
As long as they don't start taking over the Eurasian continent again.  =D

If they start in China and then roll through southern Asia and Southwest Asia, I'm kinda "meh" on the subject.  At least the Mongols have good music.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »
If they start in China and then roll through southern Asia and Southwest Asia, I'm kinda "meh" on the subject.  At least the Mongols have good music.

Historically,  they've got the right idea on how to deal with Islam.  The problem is if they get momentum to make it into Europe.  Of course,  by then it's likely to be overrun anyway.  (Polish and Hungarians hopefully withstanding)
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 10:21:23 PM »
Historically,  they've got the right idea on how to deal with Islam.  The problem is if they get momentum to make it into Europe.  Of course,  by then it's likely to be overrun anyway.  (Polish and Hungarians hopefully withstanding)

From the article:

Eagle hunting almost vanished in the last century. It was kept alive by the Altai Kazakhs in western Mongolia in Bayan-Olgii province, where at least 400 ethnic Kazakhs have formally registered as eagle hunters.

The province is the only one in Mongolia that is majority Kazakh, and majority Muslim.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design