Author Topic: Comedy Series - Superstore  (Read 662 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Comedy Series - Superstore
« on: December 26, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »
I just stumbled upon this. It's an NBC comedy series in the vein of The Office and Parks and Rec. They're obviously mocking Walmart, but I just finished season one and cracked up a lot.

Reading some of the reviews, they apparently went a bit SJW after 2016 (Trump!), but the early episodes have had me laughing a lot. Even any "social justice" stuff has been done in a lighthearted and funny way.

They certainly have "the people of Walmart" down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jW9jcLF7QM

:laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Comedy Series - Superstore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »
I watched the first season (or two?), until the NPC stuff got to be too much. It was funny, but I even quit watching Brooklyn 9-9, after the Left went into full resistance mode.

It's supposed to be set in the St. Louis area, which was interesting to me. Doesn't much influence the show, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
I watched the first season (or two?), until the NPC stuff got to be too much. It was funny, but I even quit watching Brooklyn 9-9, after the Left went into full resistance mode.

It's supposed to be set in the St. Louis area, which was interesting to me. Doesn't much influence the show, though.

Good to have trusted verification on the reviews. I'll watch season 2, and then watch until the SJW stuff turns me off.

There were some Brooklyn 9-9 previews on the Superstore DVDs, but the previews already turned me off to that show. It looked like it had potential, but the liberal nagging was evident in them, so I could only imagine what a whole episode would be.

Kinda sad. I'm fine with jokes about conservatives, but when it becomes lecturing, it gets unfunny and loses me. That has happened with several shows which I found hilarious early on, but where I just gave up in later seasons. Family Guy and Parks and Rec come to mind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:37:50 PM »
9-9 is very much worth watching. I was biased going in, though, since I already liked some of the cast to begin with.

One problem Superstore has is its choice of male lead. The Scott Baio-looking white guy that's the new hire in the first episode. I've seen a few programs that pick these too-pretty, weenie male leads to be their reasonable, relatable, normie main character, and they just can't carry a series on their reedy shoulders. I don't demand that the male lead be an action hero, but some of these characters are just pathetic. [Trump voice ] Sad!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »
Well, maybe I'll have to give at least a season of Brooklyn 9-9 a try. Especially since apparently I can't get Superstore Season 2 on Netflix. Must me related to my DVD thread, and NBC is going to take that one away from Netflix too. :)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »
Jonah isn't meant to be relatable.  I don't think any of the main characters are.  Jonah is intentionally annoying and pretentious; I mean he tried to wear a "Brexit" costume for halloween.  I think the charm of the show is that all of the characters are goofy or weird in their own ways.  I think the only only one who is remotely "normal" is Garrett.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!