Author Topic: Don't Buy an Arc Lighter  (Read 548 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Don't Buy an Arc Lighter
« on: December 26, 2018, 01:00:31 PM »
My sister, who I guess I have to give credit for trying, always seems to get me some gimmicky outdoor or tool product because she saw it "as seen on late night D movie time TV".

This year it was the "Atomic Lighter". One of those arc lighters you charge via USB. Man, what a piece of crap. For one thing, you have to about stick whatever you want to catch on fire pretty much right into the arc, which is in a small space that, at least with this lighter, is further hindered by a lighter cap that only opens about 45 degrees.

I tried starting the fire in the wood stove with it this morning and just about chucked the thing into the stove. There was absolutely no way to find an angle that would get it to light the paper under the kindling. The only way I could light the fire with it was by getting a separate piece of paper, inserting it into the arc (and you have to keep a finger on the "on button" at all times or the arc goes out) and then lighting the paper in the stove with that piece of paper.

I guess the concept is valid, but real world use seems extremely limited. Just for kicks I looked at Amazon reviews, where there are a bunch of 5 star reviews and a bunch of 1 star reviews. It appears people most happy with them are cigarette smokers, which I guess makes sense because the design would just about allow a cigarette tip into the arc. I don't think there's any way you could light a cigar though, and forget about a pipe.

Anyway, my advice to my APS friends is that if you ever see one at the checkout counter somewhere and get the urge to try it, save your money. :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Don't Buy an Arc Lighter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »
I was given one as a gift about a year back.  It's still in its packaging.  Just seemed un-useful.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »
That's not an arc lighter, THIS is an arc lighter!

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:23:41 PM »
Can you use it as a stun gun?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »
Can you use it as a stun gun?

They can hurt, and give you a burn spot, but that's about it. I got one last summer and found it quite useless.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
Now if we could just get an arc reactor....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 09:24:20 AM »
That's not an arc lighter, THIS is an arc lighter!

:old:

I figured the lighter would be one of these.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge