Author Topic: What is Your Preferred Pen Ink?  (Read 1329 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What is Your Preferred Pen Ink?
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »
I actually prefer the Zebra F-701 to the F-301.  Slight wider line, but all metal and better heft.  I also have a couple of the Gerber "Tactical" pens with rite-in-the-rain inserts in them to go with my field notebooks when outdoors.  Those things write on ANYTHING

Hey, I forgot all about those! I had some rite-in-the-rain notebooks at work, but they came with pens. I'll have to check Amazon for inserts. I actually use the S&W tacticool pens at home because I like a heavy pen. They came with good inserts to begin with, but then I ordered Parker gel insert replacements when the originals went dry, and had nothing but problems with them (again, on receipt type paper. etc.). So far so good on the p900s (which actually are apparently sorta-kinda gel ink) but I'm going to see if there is a rite-in-the-rain insert the fits my pens.

On the fountain pens, I'm not really a "pen guy" but got one off Amazon last year for kicks on a cheap lightning deal.  I guess I got lucky on the nib, because it writes reliably on most things. It just sits on my desk though, so doesn't do me any good in vehicles or wherever else I keep pens laying around.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 05:19:24 PM »
Bear in mind that Fisher makes the rite in the rain pens and refills.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 06:07:01 PM »
The pen I use the most is a Lamy Safari fountain pen.  I use blue Lamy cartridges with it.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 07:36:57 PM »
I've always wanted to like the space pen cartridges, but in my experience they have always seemed kind of bad at writing.  Compared to, say, a disposable Bic ballpoint it writes a rough, gritty, inconsistent line and tends to leave - and worse drag - little flakes and strings of ink that look like eraser debris but stain like ink.  Sure, in microgravity or underwater it works when other types would fail, but I do so little writing in space these days that it doesn't make much sense.

For pens to carry around or use at the house I've gone back to cheap or free ball points, although I do keep an inexpensive Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib loaded with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue ink on my desk at work.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »
I've always wanted to like the space pen cartridges, but in my experience they have always seemed kind of bad at writing.  Compared to, say, a disposable Bic ballpoint it writes a rough, gritty, inconsistent line and tends to leave - and worse drag - little flakes and strings of ink that look like eraser debris but stain like ink.  Sure, in microgravity or underwater it works when other types would fail, but I do so little writing in space these days that it doesn't make much sense.

For pens to carry around or use at the house I've gone back to cheap or free ball points, although I do keep an inexpensive Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib loaded with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue ink on my desk at work.

I thought I was the only one who didn’t like the writing quality of the Fisher pens. The couple of cheaper tactical pens that I had from Rite In the Rain with the Fisher cartridges in them sucked for writing. Maybe the more expensive pens are better?

Uniball used to make a pen called “power tank” that was pressurized like the Fishers and it wrote extremely smoothly. I was disappointed when they were discontinued long ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2019, 10:10:36 PM »
I use G2 0.7 mm pens at work a lot.  However, we buy the 100 packs of cheap pens and those are often just as reliable as the more expensive pens. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge