Author Topic: Stand of Pre-Christian trees found in North Carolina...  (Read 1969 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Stand of Pre-Christian trees found in North Carolina...
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2019, 06:52:36 AM »
Actually, my remark related to use of "cis-lord."

I personally don't care about the historical use of "Before Christ" versus "Before Common Era."  I recognize that religion is one of those universal components of history and the period around the birth of Christ is a pretty good demarcation point --as good as any other, I reckon, bearing in mind this is the year 5779 in another religion's reckoning --and I'm sure there are others.

Today is Julian calendar 2458630.500000, and I guess it's negative in Star Trek's "Star Date"

The only thing that bothers me is that I get the sub-feeling that "CE" and "BCE" are sometimes used as a kind of in-your-face rebellion against the religious basis of our common dating scheme, which is... I don't know... kind of petty, I guess.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »

I personally don't care about the historical use of "Before Christ" versus "Before Common Era."  I recognize that religion is one of those universal components of history and the period around the birth of Christ is a pretty good demarcation point --as good as any other, I reckon, bearing in mind this is the year 5779 in another religion's reckoning --and I'm sure there are others.

Today is Julian calendar 2458630.500000, and I guess it's negative in Star Trek's "Star Date"

The only thing that bothers me is that I get the sub-feeling that "CE" and "BCE" are sometimes used as a kind of in-your-face rebellion against the religious basis of our common dating scheme, which is... I don't know... kind of petty, I guess.

Terry

Just another inconvenient statue coming down.  Another awkward name being changed.  A touchstone removed.  (Terry, that would be the second MW definition.)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 03:37:18 PM »

Good guess, and not petty at all on your part. If you mean petty on the part of those who reject the "BC / AD" convention, then I agree completely.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." (Shakespeare)

"Rose is a rose is a rose." (Gertrude Stein)

Or, as a teacher I once had who had dabbled in Zen used to say, "What is ... is. It is your resistance to what is that causes your unhappiness."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 03:52:11 AM »
Quote from: 230RN on May 27, 2019, 04:52:36 AM

Good guess, and not petty at all on your part. If you mean petty on the part of those who reject the "BC / AD" convention, then I agree completely.

Yes, the latter.  It did not come through correctly.  I tend to write conversationally. But that's why writers require editors.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:31 AM »

Terry

I'm just sick of all of you cis-lord bigots complaining about the use of BC or BCE.

All of you pretending to care about not oppressing the non-Christians in your language, but all the while you are discriminating against the differently abled! A STAND of trees? STAND!??!?! What about people in wheelchairs you bigots!?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »
Hey, I've got no beef with a tree in a wheelchair.  One of my best friends is a tree in a wheelchair.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »
Hey, I've got no beef with a tree in a wheelchair.  One of my best friends is a tree in a wheelchair.

Groot with gout?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
I'm just sick of all of you cis-lord bigots complaining about the use of BC or BCE.

All of you pretending to care about not oppressing the non-Christians in your language, but all the while you are discriminating against the differently abled! A STAND of trees? STAND!??!?! What about people in wheelchairs you bigots!?

Well someone can't see the forest for the trees.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536