Author Topic: Starbucks and Drugs  (Read 974 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Starbucks and Drugs
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »
Apparently Seattle Starbucks locations and their "anybody can hang out in our shops and use the bathroom" policy, has chickens coming home to roost.

Employees have complained so much that Starbucks now has to install needle disposal bins because so many people are doing drugs in their bathrooms and leaving needles everywhere.

From what I've read, good luck with that. It seems most places (e.g., San Francisco) that put in those bins still find the needles everywhere all around the bins. I mean, would an even semi-responsible person leave used needles in diaper changing stations?

“Employees risk getting poked, and DO get poked, even when following ‘protocol’ of using gloves and tongs to dispose of used needles left in bathrooms, tampon disposal boxes, and diaper changing stations.”

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/starbucks-to-install-safe-needle-disposal-boxes-after-employees-sign-petition
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Starbucks and Drugs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »
We have to install needle drop bins in all of our patient restrooms, and we still find the occasional free-range needle in the trash, sinks, toilet or paper dispensers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:50:27 AM »
We have to install needle drop bins in all of our patient restrooms, and we still find the occasional free-range needle in the trash, sinks, toilet or paper dispensers.

Do you get a lot of homeless and the like in your facility? Not being an addict, I have to wonder about needles everywhere. I guess I understand when the homeless/indigent find "public" bathrooms to do their thing. But do addicts who have homes have addictions so bad that they can't hold off for the length of a doctor's visit? Is a couple of hours too long to wait to do their thing at home versus in a public area?

I guess I think that shooting up in a hospital is weirder than shooting up in other public locations. That's just me from the bleachers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »
Actually, healthcare facilities are preferred locations to shoot up.  They are warm, dry and clean, and more to the point, if you accidentally overdose, there is a good chance you will be discovered in time, a Code Blue activated, and we come running with the crash cart and Narcan you back to life.  I myself have given several doses of nasal Narcan.  Can't get that kind of service at a Starbucks.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
Actually, healthcare facilities are preferred locations to shoot up.  They are warm, dry and clean, and more to the point, if you accidentally overdose, there is a good chance you will be discovered in time, a Code Blue activated, and we come running with the crash cart and Narcan you back to life.  I myself have given several doses of nasal Narcan.  Can't get that kind of service at a Starbucks.

That makes sense. I also read that Starbucks is looking at Narcan training for all their employees.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 11:02:01 AM »
, and we come running with the crash cart and Narcan you back to life.  I myself have given several doses of nasal Narcan.  Can't get that kind of service at a Starbucks.

Not yet but I can envision the day when you have Narcan stations everywhere just like you do AEDs today. It took a while for the AEDs to catch on so maybe my retirement crusade will be getting Narcan installed everywhere, after purchasing stock in the main manufacturer that is. ;)

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
^^^I agree. It is now routine to write a script for Narcan to all patients receiving chronic opioids for pain. Many states now allow you to buy Narcan over the counter, and you can get it with a prescription in all 50 states. The sticky wicket is the cost.  The generic costs around $ 30-50 for two doses and the name brand costs $ 130-150 for two doses.  Insurance reimbursement for the cost is variable.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »

I don't always ride the horse, but when I do, it's in my local healthcare facility.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
Is it just me or was that a picture of irrigation type syringes, not ones you could actually inject drugs with?

I don’t doubt it’s a real problem. Looking at the picture though I was like WTF how do you get stuck by one of those, there isn’t even a needle? Guessing stock image vs real image related to story.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »
I will never forget finding a junkie's "kit" in the bathroom of the Esso station I worked evening/nights at in downtown Lafayette, LA as a 15 year old kid. I saw this box next to the toilet that turned out to have a bloody cotton ball, a spoon and a syringe in it. I dropped it and ran and got the boss who called the cops. Ahhh, the early 70's...
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 01:52:09 PM »

I don't always ride the horse, but when I do, it's in my local healthcare facility.

And we appreciate your patronage!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »
I got off the synthetic Heroin, methadone, a few years ago. I still take the occasional 5mg Hydrocodone for these damn migraines. My back and joint pain can usually be managed by stretching out in my recliner and vegging out in a cool, quiet room.
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
I myself have given several doses of nasal Narcan.

Why bother?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 05:49:28 PM »
Why bother?

My risk manager tells me it would be a bad idea to just stand there and do nothing for a patient or visitor having a medical emergency on my property.  Something about being sued.