Author Topic: Creating a living will  (Read 975 times)

Pb

• friend
Creating a living will
« on: January 10, 2019, 10:17:58 AM »
Folks, I think it is a good idea for all of us to have a living will, so our families know what our wishes are if we get seriously injured.

Leaving these decisions for your family to make when it is too late for you to talk would be an awful thing.

My wife and I have living wills, it was easy to do.

Here is a website that has simple living will forms for different states, if you haven't got one yet:

https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/financial-legal/free-printable-advance-directives/

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Creating a living will
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 10:23:11 AM »
Not just a living will, but all your final arrangements.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
I like the revocable trust. Many people think trusts are only for the wealthy, but if you even just own a home, I believe they are worth it if for nothing else, to bypass probate and all that other crap.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
Just a will, living or not, especially if there is anything of value in your life. You can also do "Payable on Death" benefits for things like bank accounts so it does not have to go into probate. And most importantly, if you do not have beneficiaries listed on your work pays, any other accounts, etc, stop reading this forum and get it done now. Trust me, I know what I am talking about.

One last thing, if you are a step parent go ahead and adopt the kids, that way some *expletive deleted*che bag that no one has seen in 41 years is not entitled to half the estate if your child dies without a spouse, children or will. It can happen. :(

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:43:00 AM »
Agreed on the Living Trust.  Makes it easy to change things as your situation changes.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:48:12 AM »
My brother and I had to go to probate court when our mother died unexpectedly, but it was fairly painless.  I have not made a will but I have a rather large life insurance policy that my brother and sister in law are the beneficiaries of.  My bank accounts are set up such that they have access to them upon my death.  There is nobody to dispute inheritance of my estate, so I haven't felt the need to make a will.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
I think I have talked about this before, but from the medical side, I wish everyone would have the following:

1. Living will or advance directive
2. POLST form if you don't want to have the aid unit/medic one resuscitate you at home
3. Durable power of attorney for health care
3. Durable power of attorney for financial matters
5. Your wishes in terms of funeral, body disposition, etc.

It makes it really difficult for us in the hospital when Grandma is dying, the family members don't agree on treatment, and some people think that Grandma would have wanted to just die, but of course Grandma never got around to writing this down or completing a form.

My other pet peeve is the people who download a power of attorney form from the Internet, fill it out, and then present it when Grandma is in the hospital.  I have to tell them that they downloaded the wrong form, and the power of attorney they have is for financial matters only, and it gives them no authority over healthcare.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »
I think I have talked about this before, but from the medical side, I wish everyone would have the following:

1. Living will or advance directive
2. POLST form if you don't want to have the aid unit/medic one resuscitate you at home
3. Durable power of attorney for health care
3. Durable power of attorney for financial matters
5. Your wishes in terms of funeral, body disposition, etc.

It makes it really difficult for us in the hospital when Grandma is dying, the family members don't agree on treatment, and some people think that Grandma would have wanted to just die, but of course Grandma never got around to writing this down or completing a form.

My other pet peeve is the people who download a power of attorney form from the Internet, fill it out, and then present it when Grandma is in the hospital.  I have to tell them that they downloaded the wrong form, and the power of attorney they have is for financial matters only, and it gives them no authority over healthcare.

Agree with all that, and I think this is an instance where it really is worth paying an attorney versus using online forms. Also, if you jump states, it's time to review stuff again because state laws differ. Also make sure those advance directives are easily accessible to (or already in the hands of) the appropriate people and not locked in a safe somewhere.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
^^^Not only do I have paper copies of the forms printed off; but I uploaded them to the Google drives of my wife and I so one of us can always access them online.  Say if we are traveling and a medical catastrophe happens 2000 miles from home.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 12:14:16 PM »
I like the revocable trust. Many people think trusts are only for the wealthy,

Trusts are for machine guns!  And silencers, and SBRs, and AOWs, etc.    [ar15] =D

I kid, but my Revocable Trust includes my NFA items, along with all the usual stuff.  I recommend a seperate NFA Trust, though, because the BATFE wants a copy of the entire Trust every time you apply for an NFA stamp.  And they don't take digital copies.  At least they didn't last time I bought a NFA item.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Trusts are for machine guns!  And silencers, and SBRs, and AOWs, etc.    [ar15] =D

I kid, but my Revocable Trust includes my NFA items, along with all the usual stuff.  I recommend a seperate NFA Trust, though, because the BATFE wants a copy of the entire Trust every time you apply for an NFA stamp.  And they don't take digital copies.  At least they didn't last time I bought a NFA item.

Good info. I was going to look into that when I move, since I have to change my trust to Idaho anyway. I'll have to ask the attorney about drawing up an additional trust.

Veering a thread again, but what are the benefits of an NFA trust? I'm not sure if I want to buy a machine gun, but suppressors are on the menu.