Author Topic: Annivesary of Kennedy assassination coming up.  (Read 702 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Annivesary of Kennedy assassination coming up.
« on: November 07, 2023, 01:56:08 PM »
November 22 is coming up and on that day in 1963, President Kennedy was assassinated.  Everybody does the "what were you doing when you heard about it?" thing.

But I wonder how the media will handle it this year.  A big push on gun control?   It's been said that this event was a major influence in adopting the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA68) resulting in a big restriction on "mail order guns" among many other things.

After all, we have a fairly ("unfairly?") anti-gun President and a clearly biased lockstep anti-gun media.

So what can we expect and can we develop any counter-strategies in advance?

You can bet that by now, 7 November 2023, the anti-gunners have pre-strategized everything down to the last little thing.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Annivesary of Kennedy assassination coming up.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 09:10:29 PM »
I doubt an anniversary of Kennedy's killing means much to anyone under 65, maybe 70.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 07:03:42 AM »
I doubt an anniversary of Kennedy's killing means much to anyone under 65, maybe 70.
I think you're right. I wasn't even 10 when it happened, and was far more concerned with what the homework the %$@! nuns at school were going to assign than politics, so it didn't mean much to me at the time. By now it's a part of history, not that much more meaningful to the general public than the Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley assassinations.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 08:16:50 AM »

"Some people did something."

It's going to be as remote as Pearl Harbor was to me when I was in grade school. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 11:12:50 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 09:12:16 AM »
Younger adults look at the 911 event in a similar way.  I remember teachers and others talk about the Kennedy assassination and vividly remember where they were and what was happening when they heard the news.  I never felt that way that much until 9/11/01.  Closest prior event might be the beginning of Desert Storm in Iraq in the early 1990's. 

For younger kids born after 911, I don't know if there is a single event like that yet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 09:28:33 AM »
Younger adults look at the 911 event in a similar way.  I remember teachers and others talk about the Kennedy assassination and vividly remember where they were and what was happening when they heard the news.  I never felt that way that much until 9/11/01.  Closest prior event might be the beginning of Desert Storm in Iraq in the early 1990's. 

For younger kids born after 911, I don't know if there is a single event like that yet.

2016, J6
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 09:32:35 AM »
We watched the Challenger launch live in school.  I still remember the teachers vapor-locking for a minute or so, then rushing to turn off the TV and get us on to something else. That is the first of the "major" events that I remember where I was. After that I had just turned 10 in 1989 when the Berlin Wall came down.    Then the Soviet coup in 1991, and 9/11 are the other world events that I have the full "I remember where I was" experience.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 06:27:08 PM »
Kennedy assassination was 60 years ago and allegedly done with bolt action rifle and by a "commie".

Doesn't fit the MO if the gun control crowd.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 08:05:12 PM »
You know which one 2016 refers to.

No, I don't.  That's why I posted a link for "all" major events of 2016.

This is another one where my mind-reading Rx pills had run out a whle ago and vague innuendo leaves me in the dark.

So be it.  I really don't care anymore.

Terry, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 08:09:29 PM »
Trump
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 08:15:49 PM »
Apparently Post #2 summed it up:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 08:30:07 PM »
Everybody does the "what were you doing when you heard about it?" thing.

Not so much anymore. Those who remember it are aging out of the population.

I'm really tired of hearing people recite how they were in a dentist office in Flagstaff on 9-11.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife