Author Topic: Dems Introduce New Gun Legislation  (Read 936 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dems Introduce New Gun Legislation
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »
Dems (co-sponsored by Peter King - thanks a lot jackass) are introducing a bill to limit EBR sales to those over 21.

I'm actually giving this one a 70% chance of passing, as Trump has stated he supports similar restrictions, and Rs will consider this another one of those "easy losses" like bump stocks were. They'll look at giving in here as gaining them some kind of "compromise power", either for other gun ban stuff (apparently a lot is coming down the pike) or for other stuff.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/426557-dems-introducing-bill-to-raise-minimum-age-to-buy-assault-style-weapons
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Dems Introduce New Gun Legislation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »
We will see.  How the current govt shutdown gets resolved will tell us a lot about what will happen going forward.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »
On JMB's birthday. The savages.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
I would counter with raising the voting age. If 18 isn’t mature enough to drink, smoke (in some states), or buy certain firearms then obviously they aren’t mature enough to decide elections either which has a larger more lasting impact on the whole population.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:48:41 PM »
And registration for selective service.  If 18 to 20 year olds are too young to by EBRs & purchase ethyl alcohol then they are too young to serve in the military.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 03:05:33 PM »
While I agree with you guys, what you say is logical, that won’t work on anyone that isn’t already on our side.

Rational logical arguments lose to emotional rhetoric  Every. Damn. Time.

Trump doesn’t use logical (dialectical) arguments, he uses over the top emotional rhetoric, then usually wins or at least gets a draw.

It’s not pretty but that is where the public is at these days.

Why do you think the NRA always uses over the top fear mongering on every issue? Because it works.

The NRA and other groups need to ramp up the fear in Trump and the Senate that we are going to abandon them in droves if this passes. Use every emotional, dirty and over the top rhetorical trick in the book.

Better to start now so this thing never gets any farther than the house.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »
I would counter with raising the voting age. If 18 isn’t mature enough to drink, smoke (in some states), or buy certain firearms then obviously they aren’t mature enough to decide elections either which has a larger more lasting impact on the whole population.

Wouldn't raising the voting age require constitutional amendment?

Given, restricting military-ish rifles to those over 21 also requires constitutional amendment, but no one seems to know or care about that little detail.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife