Author Topic: Newest Twitter Ban: "Learn to Code"  (Read 1850 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Newest Twitter Ban: "Learn to Code"
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:48:17 AM »
So all these reporters that got laid off at Buzzfeed, Huffpo, and other lefty rags are whining about how they are unfairly out of the job. I saw the other day one of them said their resume included a PhD in "romance novels". She wasn't joking - she thought it was an important part of her resume. People were all telling them, "Hey, learn to code!"

Some may recall that many of these same reporters, when asked what workers should do when, as their articles suggested, the coal and oil industries should be shut down, said, "They need to learn to code." Now when people are telling these reporters the same thing, it's breaking Twitters "hate rules" or something.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/01/28/twitters-new-hate-crime-tweeps-are-getting-busted-for-saying-the-c-word-to-laid-off-journos-but-its-not-the-c-word-you-think/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Newest Twitter Ban: "Learn to Code"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
These aren't coal-miners, Ben, these are the special people! Have you no decency, sir?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
While I don't agree with the taunts, it's a shorthand for the lack of compassion that most of the "elite" seemed to have for blue-collar workers who had lost their jobs.

The most prominent of which was the suggestion they just needed to move out of their town and/or learn to code. (Kevin Williamson was one who wrote such articles.)

It's a way of saying that the answer is really easy and just a matter of retraining, and to say, effectively, "Stop crying and suck it up."

Which, of course, ignores the massive disruption these people (either blue-collar workers or the journalists) had to their lives and what it would take to retrain them. Which is the point of turning it around on the "elites".

Somehow, though, turning it about on the MINUSCULE numbers of people laid off at these journalisming factories is beyond the pale. Because the "elite" protects their own.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:21:39 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
While I don't agree with the taunts, it's a shorthand for the lack of compassion that most of the "elite" seemed to have for blue-collar workers who had lost their jobs.

I'll agree it's a little juvenile. One would hope though (and I know I'm wrong as I write it) that maybe the "turnabout" would make the journalists recognize how flippant they were when they (and the Obama admin at the time) started the "learn to code" stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »
While I don't agree with the taunts

I do.  Whole heartedly.

When attacked, a person should defend himself.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 10:39:57 AM »
Coal miners are enemies of the state and the environment.

You can't say anything hateful to them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »
These aren't coal-miners, Ben, these are the special people! Have you no decency, sir?
Yep, They're "special"   :laugh:

Does that count as name calling?  =|
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
I don't care if these reporters go get jobs as coal miners or coders, as long as they're out there looking for work then good for them.
If they're sitting on twitter whining about being laid off and insisting how unfair it is then they're fair game.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
Coal miners are enemies of the state and the environment.

You can't say anything hateful to them.

The coal miners objected to President Hillary Clinton's musings that they would lose their jobs, and voted for Orange Man. That makes them fascists. Fascists should be punched.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 10:57:29 AM »
I do.  Whole heartedly.

When attacked, a person should defend himself.

Most certainly.

However, I'm more than willing to bet that not a single twitter user taunting in such a way is a laid-off blue-collar worker. Any coal miner or steel worker is justified.

You're just another white-collar worker on twitter opposed to the left? You're not being attacked.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
Because I like to learn something every day, is 'learn to code' a viable option?  If I am a 45 year old person, where would I go to learn to code, and is this a pretty realistic way to get a good job? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
Because I like to learn something every day, is 'learn to code' a viable option?  If I am a 45 year old person, where would I go to learn to code, and is this a pretty realistic way to get a good job? 
If you're smart, willing to learn new things and keep up with changes, hard working and motivated to teach yourself and avail yourself of the huge amount of free information available online then absolutely it is realistic.

But someone like that can make it in any field.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »

Many options.

https://www.google.com/search?q=adult+education+computer+programming+coding&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS746US747&oq=adult+education+computer+programming+coding&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.10926j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 12:22:04 PM »
^^^ The local media has done some exposes on local 'coding boot camps' that last several weeks, costs many thousands of dollars, and have resulted in few job placements.  Many of these programs are no longer eligible to receive state unemployment/retraining dollars, so I was curious if there are legitimate programs that lead to an actual job.  I know that a lot of the local dot.com employers look for academic credentials and/or certifications.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 02:08:42 PM »
^^^ The local media has done some exposes on local 'coding boot camps' that last several weeks, costs many thousands of dollars, and have resulted in few job placements.  Many of these programs are no longer eligible to receive state unemployment/retraining dollars, so I was curious if there are legitimate programs that lead to an actual job.  I know that a lot of the local dot.com employers look for academic credentials and/or certifications.
The first step is to move to India.  Then come back on an H1B visa and work for lower wages for a while.   =)

Could you get a job as first level tech support for a foreign country?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 04:00:46 PM »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
I think it's funny.   Almost makes me wish I was on Twizzler, so I could get banned.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
I think it's funny.   Almost makes me wish I was on Twizzler, so I could get banned.

Yep. I think it's funny too.

And, yes, it's juvenile, which is why it's so very appropriate.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 06:54:56 PM »
Yep. I think it's funny too.

And, yes, it's juvenile, which is why it's so very appropriate.

We are all just 12 year olds trapped in much older bodies when you think about it. My wife is always telling me to act my age. I have never been this old, I don't know how to act. 12 OTOH I have been and know how to do. ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 09:26:14 AM »
Learn to coal
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes