Author Topic: How much cash do you carry on you?  (Read 2852 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
How much cash do you carry on you?
« on: February 01, 2019, 09:45:16 AM »
https://twocents.lifehacker.com/how-much-cash-you-should-carry-on-you-1832259466

I have $ 200 in small bills in my wallet and when I go to the gun show, I have $ 1000 in cash that I carry in an envelope.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: How much cash do you carry on you?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
I'll go months at a time with literally no money in my wallet.

Other times I'll have upwards $100 or so, but that's only when I'm traveling or know I'll need cash.

When I went on vacation to Iowa in May last year I think I started out with $300 with me ($100 in my wallet, $100 in my luggage, $100 hidden in the car), and I'm pretty sure I came back with about $200 of it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:58:04 AM »
Are you creating a mugging database? :P  :laugh:

Around town, I usually have an average of $100 on me. Whenever I get down to around $50, I hit the ATM for $200 and draw that down.

If I go on a road trip, I usually have $200-$300 on me, with lots of small bills. Part of that is for stuff like paying for breakfast, so I don't have to wait for the server to bring the credit card back in a busy restaurant, or picking up a bottle of water or a snack when I gas up, etc. Also, I have found, due to what happened to me on a road trip last year - my credit card number getting hijacked in the middle of the trip - it's good for a fallback, or paying for gas at a sketchy gas station.

Additionally, I keep a few Jacksons hidden in the vehicle for when I inevitably go to the grocery store and forget my wallet.

Sometimes it feels like I have to work to use cash instead of a card. Every time I do so at Costco, I have to get the cashier's attention because they're so accustomed to people using cards.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »
I used to have a habit of giving myself $200 a week that was to be spent on gas ($50), groceries ($75), dates, incidentals, fun stuff and to be saved in the gun safe if any was left at the end of the week.  New toy money came from the stash in the safe.

I've gotten out of that habit and got caught with my pants down at the barber shop earlier this week.  My debit card data got stolen somehow and the bank shut it off, I couldn't pay the barber with the debit card and I had about $8 cash on me.  Fortunately I had another credit card to pay with but I hate using credit cards since I've paid those damned things off.

I've been meaning to get back to doing the cash thing.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
It varies greatly. Never more than $200 but it's usually in the $40-$60 range in the wallet.
Separate from that, in my winter coat, I keep a $5 bill along with a granola bar and a few disposable handwarmers (for homeless people).
And I do keep $100 in the emergency / get home bag in my car so that's easy enough to get to if needed.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
Usually somewhere $20-$40. Enough for emergency gas, food, or for the occasional local credit card-free zone. Otherwise I run everything through my credit card for the points.

On trips I'll usually take a couple hundred against emergencies.

It's very, very rare for me to have more than $200 on me. I do keep some cash around the house, mostly in the Fun Money envelope that gets spare small bills and and the occasional extra $20.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:13:09 AM »
Usually less than $100. More when I go to gun shows or on vacation, and I keep that stashed in a couple places in the event of theft/Asset forfeiture.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »
"to be saved in the gun safe"

I generally keep a few hundred to a couple grand in my guns safe as an emergency fund.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »
Zero cash.

It’s very wise to have a grand or so stuffed in the mattress for a rainy day.
Last summer, I needed $600 on the spot to procure a generator when the power went out for an extended period of time during heavy storms. ATM would only allow me and my wife to take out $200/ day each, and there wasn’t a generator in a store within 200 miles.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 10:39:56 AM »
This thread has been valuable to me insofar as I now think I should stash some emergency cash inside the vehicle.  Should I put it in the cable-locked gun safe under the seat, or should I stash it elsewhere, I wonder. The safe is more secure than the truck interior, but if someone comes along and snips the cable and steals the safe, I am out both the handgun and the cash.  Hmmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
This thread has been valuable to me insofar as I now think I should stash some emergency cash inside the vehicle.  Should I put it in the cable-locked gun safe under the seat, or should I stash it elsewhere, I wonder. The safe is more secure than the truck interior, but if someone comes along and snips the cable and steals the safe, I am out both the handgun and the cash.  Hmmm.

Without giving my stash location away on a public forum, an intrepid APS member will find an interior location that is both hard to find but easy for the stasher to get to. Think disguise and things inside of things. If my few 20s are found, I have a lot more to worry about than the lost 60 ducats.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
About $100 on me since I prefer to pay cash for most things.  I have a bit more stashed at home for OhShist emergencies or good deals at the gun store.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »
Usually about $100 in cash but I seldom pay cash for anything cuz I want the cashback bonuses.  The cash is mainly in case my cards don't work for some reason, like the merchant's computer is down -- and as a security blanket.

I carry $200 or $300 when I travel, but only half is in my wallet and the rest is someplace like in my luggage.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
I carry 200 dollars (2/100s) all the time. It is a habit from my active duty days when we might launch from one place and land at another (Okinawa to the Philippines) or not able to get back into field at deployment site (Adak usually). Now it is just a stash of mad money.

Other than that I will have anywhere from zero to 60 dollars in my wallet on any given day.

bob

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »
Before I retired, I would always have a minimum of $200 in my wallet.  Now, I might have $40-60 on me.  If we go somewhere (like Wildwood NJ last summer for T.R.O.G.) We'll each take $500  in cash for incidentals like t-shirts, a beer on the boardwalk, tips, etc.  I think we brought most of it back though.

We always keep a cash stash in the vault.  We find if we pay cash for such things as pumping the septic tank etc., we usually get better deals and service.

If we go to Tulsa for the gun show, I'll have a few hundred in an envelope in my boot.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
I seldom carry more than $20 but I'm not usually far from home base. I keep 1-2k at home and atleast 5k in the safe deposit box at the S and L.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »
I generally start at about $100.  I try to keep a little more available as you never know when you need to pay for a tow truck or something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
I always have at least $100 in my wallet, as I keep two $50s in a compartment behind my license and work ID.  I consider that my emergency money.  In my main cash section, anywhere from $5 to $200, depending on the day.  If I'm going on a trip, I'll make sure to have $200 minimum, on top of the $100 emergency.  I have a $50 tucked away in my car as well.  If wife and I are going somewhere away from home, we generally take around $500 with us, split between us.

Now, in my gun safe, there's usually around $1K in cash.  That's the home emergency fund.  Wish it was the toy fund.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »
Usually two c-notes JIC.  I noticed over the  years that it's getting easier and easier to break a $100 bill.  I got a credit card a couple of years ago, and I'm using that more and more.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 01:15:17 PM »
"I always have at least $100 in my wallet, as I keep two $50s in a compartment behind my license and work ID."

YOU IDIOT! If your sister-in-law figures that out she'll mug you! NEVER carry enough to cover the cost of a nipple tat!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
Well, I guess I'm the oddball. Most of my paycheck goes into my wallet rather than my checking account. I only use the debit for gas, bills and online stuff. Until recently, I typically had more money in my wallet than in my account and it probably won't be that long before things go back to the old way.

I suck at math and I don't have a lot of money to be handling anyway, so it's always been easier for me to keep track of how much I have if I'm counting bills rather than keeping track of numbers.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
day after payday I'll take $100, and that'll last me (normally) until the next one.  Anything left gets stuck in an plastic baggie in my backpack.  That usually doesn't get over $200, and is to cover random other stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 07:36:11 PM »
I used to routinely carry 500 or more when I had a full wallet. Now that I got a minimalist front-pocket wallet that isn't good at carrying cash, it's usually less than 50. I find 1s and 5s convenient for tipping.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »
$200 ish.  a couple of folded up emergency $50's with my ID,  and the rest in 20's and smaller.  Like MillCreek,  I'm fond of at least $1000 in a bank envelope for walking around gunshows.  Cash is king,  in the off chance I see something I MUST own.

Side note,  it's really sad to me that there aren't many guns left on the wanted list.  All of my bases are covered,  and short of a few grail guns there aint much I'm after these days.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 09:07:09 PM »
I usually have $200 in cash in a money clip in my pocket.  I'll refresh it when I get down to around $60.00.  I use the cash for things like a haircut or picking up some small items at the grocery store.   I've got a debit card that I use for when we go out for dinner or make a larger purchase.  I also carry a Master Card that gives me a 5% discount on gasoline, so I use that for both cars exclusively.  I also have a Discover card that provides a 5% discount at various and sundry stores that ebb and flow.  The locations vary and Discover keeps me apprised at where the discounts are.  I'll use the Discover card instead of my debit card if I'm getting a discount wherever I'm spending a bunch of money like at Sam's Club or the grocery store.  My credit union provides a bill paying service for free, so I'll pay off the Discover Card and the Master Card every few days so I don't get behind the 8 ball.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw