Author Topic: How much cash do you carry on you?  (Read 2853 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: How much cash do you carry on you?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »
One medicine bottle full of quarters (at least a roll) and another bottle, the same size, full of lose change (pennies, nickles, dimes). If I'm lucky, $20 or less in bills.
When I can, I squirrel away $20s in various "pockets" in my wallet, up to $100 in "hidden" $20s.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »
I keep two C notes stashed in each car for emergencies, and 6 months worth of living expenses worth in the house. Don't know why I settled on the second; but I've been doing it for about 20 years now. I usually try to keep $80-$100 in my pocket.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 12:14:18 AM »
...About $50 worth of ammo....

Seriously, it just depends on what I'm doing. Usually, $20 or so, more if I need it, but I don't carry a lot of cash.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 02:33:14 AM »
I usually have none, maybe up to $5, on me.  Sometimes I'll have $20-40, mostly so I can save the 6-10 cents per gallon on gas when I fill up using cash instead of the debit card.

Though, when I went to Assam I carried 20 grand on me.  Granted that was rupees, not dollars (equivalent to $280 by exchange rate but possibly 1-3 months of wages to a local).  But if the SHTF in a 3rd world locale, some local currency in a quantity sufficient for emergency transportation and maybe a bribe can be life saving.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
I'm paid weekly, with a paper check, of which I take $20 in cash. I find it's easier to pay most things with plastic. Easier on the cashier, too. Yesterday, I paid for a $3.69 item with a $20 bill, and three quarters. The poor girl used her phone to figure out the change. She said, "You'll make fun of me, but I have to use my phone to do the math," or something like that.

I keep $100 in the car, in case I absolutely need cash. It's a stack of tens, in case someone can't (or claims they can't) break a twenty.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
I find it's easier to pay most things with plastic. Easier on the cashier, too.

I agree with this, though I don't know that I like agreeing with it. I'm even thinking of trying out Garmin Pay on my watch. It's all just so convenient. At the same time, and maybe it's age related - I hate - loathe actually, the thought of a cashless society where every purchase is recorded and linked to me.

Also, since others are mentioning home as well as "on me", yeah, I too keep cash in the safe for emergencies or whatever. It sits sandwiched between my passport and a .45 for a quick one-handed grab on my way out the door for going on the lam.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 03:42:23 PM »
I find using cash to pay is quicker than using a card or other device.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
I find using cash to pay is quicker than using a card or other device.

I'm starting to find the opposite and sometimes, when paying cash, feel like I'm the old lady with a checkbook that I always complain about.

At the aforementioned Costco for example, I can stick my card in the reader while they're ringing my stuff up. My wallet is already back in my pocket before they ever hand me the receipt. When I pay cash, it's however long it takes them to give me my change, and all too often if I give them two Franklins for say a $140 purchase, they end up having to call a manager for change. And that's at Costco, where they're pushing a lot of people through every hour.

As mentioned in my post above, if going out to breakfast or something, I find it's the opposite, because I just leave cash on the table when the bill arrives and I'm gone. A busy server might take 10 minutes to come back just to get my credit card, let alone bring it back.

Side note from reading the article in the OP: I was very surprised that there are apparently tons of restaurants in NYC that are cash only. In a big city like that,  I would have assumed they'd be going to "NO cash" type establishments.

There's a place I go for breakfast whenever I'm fishing in Mammoth, and they're I think the only place there that is cash only. They even put an ATM machine in their lobby for convenience. Yet if you read the Yelp reviews, the biggest complaint about the place is "cash only". I've talked to the owner before and she's conservative/libertarian and has the rule mostly for political reasons, as in, "This is America and cash is still valid". On Yelp everyone thinks she does it to cheat on her taxes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »
I use Google Pay wherever possible. It's by far the fastest, because it reads faster than the card, there's nothing to sign and no pin to enter, and it's also more secure than using the physical card.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 04:07:17 PM »
Processing fees.

We have a 5% fee on all card transactions and we tell our customers that if they bring check or cash, they don't have to pay the extra 5%. Bigger companies can eat the cost, but on small charges the fee can end up being more than the charge. Even at our place, where the cheapest services are $20 (and most customers are paying between $50 and $200) the credit card fees really cut into the bottom line.

Small businesses will happily take cash and I'm actually surprised more don't do "cash only". Bounced checks are also a debacle to deal with. Luckily that doesn't happen to us very often.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
Processing fees.

Yeah, I would guess besides "political reasons" that would be another reason for the place in Mammoth I mentioned.

Though interestingly, I often ask people at individually owned businesses if they would prefer cash/check over a card. I'm not even asking for a discount, just thinking maybe they'd like cash. This has generally just been on three figure or higher purchases, but >90% of the time they just say, "We'll take the card, no problem."

Of course I'm a shady looking character, so maybe they figure the card is the more secure payment form.  :laugh:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
Yeah, I would guess besides "political reasons" that would be another reason for the place in Mammoth I mentioned.

Though interestingly, I often ask people at individually owned businesses if they would prefer cash/check over a card. I'm not even asking for a discount, just thinking maybe they'd like cash. This has generally just been on three figure or higher purchases, but >90% of the time they just say, "We'll take the card, no problem."

Of course I'm a shady looking character, so maybe they figure the card is the more secure payment form.  :laugh:

*shrug* Or they're just trying to offer good customer service and think you'd rather use the card. Even I've gotten to the point where I'm assuming a customer will use a card on the larger bills since that's what people pull out most of the time. You see the checks coming, since the check book is obvious, but the cash customers sneak up on you.  :laugh:

Also, the business owner would probably say "cash", but the people behind the register may not know or understand the situation. I highly doubt my other two coworkers would really "get" any of this... Or at least the one who would get it would forget it if he was supposed to be checking someone out.  ;/ Which is why they aren't to deal with customers in the general running of things.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2019, 01:00:56 PM »
I keep a few hundred in the car.  I guess I should build a stash in the gun safe also...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2019, 01:07:34 PM »
*shrug* Or they're just trying to offer good customer service and think you'd rather use the card.

Possibly. More than once I've gotten the, "This'll get you some Cabela's points!" comment.  :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2019, 07:10:55 AM »
Went and looked at the gun safe stash over the weekend. It's a bit on the short side. Time to build it back up.

I generally built it by making regular withdrawals from the ATM...

Sort of a $20 for me, $40 for the gun safe kind of thing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »
I always thought that was a good idea, but never quite got there.  These days I have a healthy emergency fund in a couple credit union accounts.  I need to relocate a small piece of that to my safe. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2019, 10:44:04 AM »
"These days I have a healthy emergency fund in a couple credit union accounts."

Same here. But that's a different kind of emergency fund.

There are potentially times when only ready cash will do.

I came to that conclusion on September 11/12, 2001, when pretty much every ATM in Northern Virginia was drained of cash.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
IF someone I don't know asked me how much cash do I carry on me my answer would be "about 10mm's worth"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes