Author Topic: SC police make millions by seizing cash and property.  (Read 634 times)

MechAg94

• friend
SC police make millions by seizing cash and property.
« on: February 02, 2019, 03:50:44 PM »
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2716045002?__twitter_impression=true

Article on asset forfeiture seizures by police in South Carolina (in general, not a specific case).  Same thing I have seen written about in other states. 

This yielded a clear picture of what is happening: Police are systematically seizing cash and property — many times from people who aren’t guilty of a crime — netting millions of dollars each year. South Carolina law enforcement profits from this policing tactic: The bulk of the money ends up in its possession.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: SC police make millions by seizing cash and property.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »
I can't wait for a Federal law making this illegal, and I can only hope penalties include jail time. I'm sure I'll be holding my breath a long time though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 07:20:45 PM »
I can't wait for a Federal law making this illegal, and I can only hope penalties include jail time. I'm sure I'll be holding my breath a long time though.

The problem is that the feds are actively aiding and abetting it at this time.  Some states have made this illegal under state law.  The police response was to start "partnering" with the FBI.  The FBI takes 10%, and gives the rest back to the local police  It's all federal, so state law doesn't apply.

They were starting to limit the federal programs when Jeff Sessions, known anti-drug crusader, was appointed and flipped everything, opening the program right back up.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
I'm surprised there haven't been . . . reprisals . . . from any of their victims yet. Maybe we're really a lot more peaceful as a society than some people think.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »
1 word: "KillDozer"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »
This does not give me warm fuzzies about moving there,  but I understand this is a nationwide problem.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
This does not give me warm fuzzies about moving there,  but I understand this is a nationwide problem.

Yep, nationwide. And it appears that of all 50 states, South Kleptolina might just be the worst.   ;/
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
SC police make millions by seizing cash and property.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
Yep, nationwide. And it appears that of all 50 states, South Kleptolina might just be the worst.   ;/

Don’t make that bet just yet...

https://newsok.com/article/3864488/oklahoma-da-halts-i-40-drug-stops-after-criticism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »

https://newsok.com/article/3864488/oklahoma-da-halts-i-40-drug-stops-after-criticism

That was almost 6 years ago. I only vaguely remember hearing about it and IIRC it was mostly just allowed to fade away and be forgotten.

That … at least gives the appearance that these seizures are done for profit and not to protect the citizens,” he said.

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »

Kinda had this in mind from the USA today article ( https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2716045002?__twitter_impression=true ):
In many other places, changes are being made: 29 states have taken steps to reform their forfeiture process. Fifteen states now require a criminal conviction before property can be forfeited, according to the Institute for Justice, a non-profit libertarian law firm.

South Carolina lawmakers have crafted reform bills in recent General Assembly sessions, but none of the efforts made it out of committee.

To critics, South Carolina is the poster child for the injustice inherent in the for-profit civil forfeiture system, said Louis Rulli, a law expert at the University of Pennsylvania.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »
I-10 across South Louisiana is a cash cow for that carp as well...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 12:00:40 AM »
I-10 across South Louisiana is a cash cow for that carp as well...
That is the source of most of the stories I have heard.  Maybe just closer.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
Armed robbery.   :mad:

Why hasn't the Supreme Court stopped this yet?