Author Topic: What's the latest on fast access lockable gun storage for home defense?  (Read 872 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I'm looking to evolve my home firearm storage situation.  I'd like to have two pistols and two shotguns kept accessible for rapid access that is secure from little 'uns, and keep the remainder of my stash in my more conventional safe.

Not sure if I'm sold on biometrics or electronics in general.  <Insert image about decepticon toasters here.>

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What's the latest on fast access lockable gun storage for home defense?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 11:10:33 PM »
This is what I use, mounted to the wall corner next to the bed:

https://www.amazon.com/Barska-Quick-Access-Biometric-AX11652/dp/B005FDIUPE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1549166031&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Barska+Quick+Access+Biometric+Rifle+Safe+AX11652&psc=1

I wasn't sure about the biometrics myself, but am super happy with this one. The fingerprint reader actually works way better than a more expensive unit I have. I would say 49/50 times it reads the fingerprint the first time. There was a trick to this one in that I used my thumb for the print, and I used the back of the reader compartment as a reference point. As long as I jamb my thumb in to make firm contact with the back, it reads the print the first time just about every time.

Not doing that makes my finger not always place in the exact same spot, and "first time reading" accuracy goes way down. Which I think is the problem with my more expensive portable biometric safe. The reader is just there on the panel, so there is no physical reference point that lets me put my finger in the same place every time, especially if in a hurry. The reader compartment on the Barska pretty much guides you to the same point every time.

I only keep one shotgun in it, but it will easily take two long guns (not three like the picture shows). I keep a full size 1911 on the top shelf. Two pistols would be too much, but they do make a pistol hanger for the top shelf, so you could lay one on the shelf and hang the other one. The door beeps by default when your fingerprint is read, but you can put it in silent mode.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
Following this one - looking for pretty much identical requirements to AZ and for same reason.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
Will your safe lock with just a key? I think a mechanical lock safe day locked with just a key and a carry gun on person is about ideal. I can't get excited about electronic anything locking guns.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »
Will your safe lock with just a key? I think a mechanical lock safe day locked with just a key and a carry gun on person is about ideal. I can't get excited about electronic anything locking guns.

If that's directed at me, no key. It comes with an external power source powered by a couple of AA batteries for in case the batteries die. You remove a cover plate near the lock, plug in the external power, then use the biometrics as usual to open the safe (and swap/recharge your batteries).

Batteries last a long time in this thing. I don't open it every day since when kids aren't around at least a pistol is out. However I use the low discharge nimh batteries and I think I've only recharged on average once a year and have never had to resort to the external power. I've had the safe for 5 years (Amazon lightning deal for 50 ducats less than the current price).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »
I like the solution you linked, Ben, but I was imagining a more distributed solution for my own situation.

I'd like 3 devices, I think.

1. Ben's linked safe for bedroom shotgun and my carry pistol.  It can also hold my steel/competition/racetoy pistol that I might happen to have out of the main safe, too.  Or my match rifle along with the shotgun.  etc.
2. A dedicated pistol vault for the lady and her pistol.  Bedside/nightstand/headboard discrete mounting solution.
3. A device to secure a shotgun I keep in my office closet (I work from home).  Ideally I'd like this one to mount horizontally, inside the closet, above the closet door.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 01:35:19 PM »
I'm at least "semi-distributed" as well. That corner safe by the bed, then my smaller "real safe" with a standard dial also in the bedroom with a few other defensive long guns and pistols plus ammo and mags in it. My "big safe" is where I keep collectibles, hunting guns and such. Then the pistol vault in my office room, which is the more expensive biometric that I mentioned. It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Vaultek-Biometric-Bluetooth-Auto-Open-Rechargeable/dp/B01LY908Y4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1549304841&sr=1-1&keywords=Vaultek+VT20i

I'm still not sure what I think of it. The bluetooth (for me) isn't worth it. For the fingerprint scanner, I had to try a bunch of fingers and finally settled on my middle finger (which of course I have to remember in relation to the thumb on the Barska) for the most reliable results. Otherwise, I find that I use the combo code just as often as the biometrics on it. I haven't timed it with a timer, but punching in a six digit code seems to be nearly as fast as the fingerprint scan, and I think slightly more reliable. If I were to purchase it again, I might consider the less expensive model that only has keycodes and no biometrics. I do like the design of the auto opening lid on it, and compared to similar pistol vaults, it's a well-made and hefty container, approaching "safe" status. They make several other models besides the linked one.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »
I think Liberty and others make a whole family of smaller safes designed for quick access.  Some just big enough for pistols, some are larger I think.  I think most use biometrics these days, but have seen them with finger combination systems.  

Here is the handgun vault page on Liberty's web site.  biometric, combination, and keyed available.  I am sure their competitors have similar stuff.
https://www.libertysafe.com/handgun-vaults.php
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge