Author Topic: My early cars for what it's worth, probably nothing.  (Read 714 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
My early cars for what it's worth, probably nothing.
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:50:07 AM »
(1) 1950 Plymouth Deluxe 4-door sedan,  Actually my mother's, commuted to college with it.  Lost my virginity in it.  (I was Catholic and a late bloomer. :) )  Mine had the "Tall Ship" hood ornament.

(2) Volkswagen bug with microscopic back window, forgot year.  Kept at college while in dorms, Mom needed the Plymouth while I was away.

(3)  1950s Studebaker.  Reverse gear quit, fun to keep aware of how to get out of parking spaces.  Like park by fire hydrants and other tactics.  Mine was green.

(4)  Chevy Corvair Greenbrier van, all white, vast seating, huge doors, cool, quiet little engine in rear.  Mine was all white.  Loved that beast best of all my cars in that period.  It's the one Wife1 and I and three cats moved out to Colorado with, early sixties.  Used to camp for days up on the National Grasslands in it.

Owned another bug and a Crown Victoria and other "normal" cars and pickups after that.

The first vehicle I ever drove was my Pop's 1929 pickup truck we kept out on our ground in Ronkonkoma.  Just on the property, of course, since I was only 10 or so.  I don't remember much about those adventures except that somehow I started a little brush fire with it.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:04:57 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: My early cars for what it's worth, probably nothing.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
64 Ford E-100 Econoline van w/3-on-the-tree manual trans. I learned to drive 3-on-the-tree in our back yard in this!

63 Chevy Corvair that was a cow-pasture driving car that I bought for $50 and played in the field with. It was black and not NEAR this good of shape! Used/leaked oil like you wouldn't believe.

1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster cool car. Drove it until It kicked a rod out.

66 Ford Mustang my foster brothers, wrecked it, was rebuilt, my mom drove it then it was passed down to me after she died.

Early 60's Willis Mail Truck with a F Head 4 cyl and 2 speed automatic. Mine still had the white on blue US Mail paint and the paint was in pretty good shape.

:old:

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:30:25 PM »
No pics but my early cars were (in order of appearance):

1950 Hudson Pacemaker 2-door sedan (not coupe)
1960 Rambler American station wagon
1959 Rambler Custom 4-door sedan
1966 Rambler Classic convertible, 327 (AMC, not Chevy) 4-speed
1966 Rambler American

At that point, I joined the Army and went to Vietnam. Saved up my combat pay and used it to buy a 1968 Javelin, 343 4-speed. I won a bunch of autocross trophies with that one. Then I got married and cars became commodities ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »
My only cars that are probably worth more than what I paid for it.

1968 Plymouth Satellite (paid $500)
1974 Ford F-150 (paid $400)
1984 GMC Suburban (paid $4500)
1987 Suzuki Samurai (paid $2400)

Not sure about the 1989 Mustang GT convertible (Paid $7000)

Rest were just normal cars, trucks and SUVs
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
My first one was a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 351C. Got it in 1978, sold it in I think 1983. Paid $1700, sold for I think $1100. I just looked online and anything that's not thrashed is going for $20K plus. Plenty of restored ones were in the $50K range.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 12:20:54 PM »
First one: 1951 Ford 2 door sedan bought from a neighbor for $40.  I was 15, it was a rust bucket and plumb wore out.  I spent a year and a half rebuilding everything in, fixing the rust with fiberglass, and reupholstering it.  Dad helped with the mechanicals and mom helped with the interior.   I did the body and paint myself.  I still remember how proud I was when I first drove it to school at 17.  Later, I threw a rod in the six and swapped in a flathead V8.

Second one, and my favorite all time car: 1960 Thunderbird I paid $300 for, with a manual overdrive transmission and Lincoln suspension (later found out that Ford only built around 530 of those, they were called "Nascar T-Birds").  I had the red paint redone, and upholstered it in red naugahyde.  I loved that car.  Sold it after we got married because it was impossible to park at our apartment, and its thirst for premium was more than we could afford.

Next: 1969 Volkswagon squareback, then a 1968 Torino GT coupe.  Nothing after that worth mentioning.

(3)  1950s Studebaker.  Reverse gear quit, fun to keep aware of how to get out of parking spaces.  Like park by fire hydrants and other tactics.  Mine was green.

Dad had a 1951 green Studebaker when I was little.  I remember being embarrassed that we had a Studebaker, but looking back, it was a Starlight Coupe, probably one of the coolest cars ever.  They bring big bucks now.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »
^ "Dad had a 1951 green Studebaker when I was little.  I remember being embarrassed that we had a Studebaker, but looking back, it was a Starlight Coupe, probably one of the coolest cars ever.  They bring big bucks now."

It was said.... that a Studebaker was just a virgin Edsel.

So it was said.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.