Author Topic: ICE raids Bear Creek Arsenal  (Read 900 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
ICE raids Bear Creek Arsenal
« on: February 05, 2019, 04:13:07 PM »
Ruh Roh Raggy!

30 people taken into custody by ICE agents during raid at Sanford manufacturing company
https://abc11.com/30-people-taken-into-custody-by-ice-at-sanford-company/5122017/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: ICE raids Bear Creek Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
https://rantnc.com/2019/02/05/ice-agents-detain-at-least-70-at-sanford-manufacturing-plant/

Chatter on social media this morning suggested other industries and businesses received visits from ICE as well, but those reports have not been confirmed. Still, the Bear Creek arrests have had a domino effect — San Felipe, Aye Toro and El Molcajete Mexican restaurants were closed for lunch today (photo right), several car washes and other Latino-owned businesses have closed their doors. Some students at Lee County High School have reportedly checked out early today as well.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 05:17:57 PM »
I'm confused by the articles.

Am I supposed to feel sympathy for illegal aliens because criminals were apprehended?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »
I'm confused by the articles.

Am I supposed to feel sympathy for illegal aliens because criminals were apprehended?

Your heart is suppose to bleed.

Anyway I thought the news article might be of interest because it's a gun and accessory company.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
I caught that it's a gun maker. I was interested to note that it wasn't a random sweep, the raid was the result of an investigation and a warrant -- yet one of the articles reports that the company did nothing wrong in their hiring (of course, that article may be citing the company or its lawyer). Since there was mention of identity theft, it would appear that this town in North Carolina is a hotbed of falsified IDs.

I guess I'm a bad person, but I just can't make myself feel any empathy for people who break the law and then whine when they get caught.

I wonder who blew the whistle ...

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »
I caught that it's a gun maker. I was interested to note that it wasn't a random sweep, the raid was the result of an investigation and a warrant -- yet one of the articles reports that the company did nothing wrong in their hiring (of course, that article may be citing the company or its lawyer). Since there was mention of identity theft, it would appear that this town in North Carolina is a hotbed of falsified IDs.

I guess I'm a bad person, but I just can't make myself feel any empathy for people who break the law and then whine when they get caught.

I wonder who blew the whistle ...

Yup,  fug'em.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
I can feel empathy for criminals who are guilty of, say, carrying a handgun someplace they didn’t realize was prohibited, or possessed hollow points in a state that restricts them or something because I feel those laws are unjust, so I can completely understand how someone who disagrees with immigration laws might feel empathy for border criminals.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »
I can feel empathy for criminals who are guilty of, say, carrying a handgun someplace they didn’t realize was prohibited, or possessed hollow points in a state that restricts them or something because I feel those laws are unjust, so I can completely understand how someone who disagrees with immigration laws might feel empathy for border criminals.

Not really analogous. People who legally own and carry guns in their home states but aren't as attuned to nanny-stateism in places like NY, NJ, MA and CA can quite innocently get caught up without realizing they're breaking a law. That's a bit different from someone who wades across the Rio Grand river, spends twelve years hiding out from ICE, and pays someone for forged ID papers so they can get a job in a factory. It's difficult to argue that such people didn't know they were breaking the law.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 01:46:20 AM »
of course, that article may be citing the company or its lawyer

They were indeed citing a company representative of some sort for that bit, the company is claiming that they did no wrong. 

Which is possibly true, if the employees presented reasonably good fake documentation when they were hired, either claiming to be citizens or legal immigrants, and providing stolen SSN or green card numbers.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 06:35:46 AM »
Not really analogous. People who legally own and carry guns in their home states but aren't as attuned to nanny-stateism in places like NY, NJ, MA and CA can quite innocently get caught up without realizing they're breaking a law. That's a bit different from someone who wades across the Rio Grand river, spends twelve years hiding out from ICE, and pays someone for forged ID papers so they can get a job in a factory. It's difficult to argue that such people didn't know they were breaking the law.
Fair enough, but I can also feel empathy for someone who gets caught knowingly breaking a law against carrying a gun too.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »
Locally something like this happened to pizza manufacturer (Palermo's) where they were found to be employing 'undocumented immigrants.'
This led to the local LaRaza chapter (voces de la frontera) picketing and protesting the company, threatening the management, and demanding that the company unionize.
No, it doesn't make any sense, but this was the Amwerica that obama created...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama