Author Topic: I know it's a satire site, but...  (Read 1144 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
I know it's a satire site, but...
« on: February 05, 2019, 11:48:19 PM »
https://prettycoolsite.com/california-newborn-baby-name-emoji-smiley-heart/

Is there anything to prevent the use of special characters in a name?  For example: 💩, we call her "Poopsy"
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: I know it's a satire site, but...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 12:46:02 AM »
https://prettycoolsite.com/california-newborn-baby-name-emoji-smiley-heart/

Is there anything to prevent the use of special characters in a name?  For example: 💩, we call her "Poopsy"

Common sense?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 05:36:15 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 06:59:09 AM »
Came across a name at work the other day...

La-aa

Pronounced "la dash uh."  If we can add punctuation to the names, why not pictures.   [barf]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »
There is no such thing as satire anymore, it merged with reality awhile back. Monty Python would be considered a reality show today.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
I thought I read a while back that somebody had already dome some kind of whack thing with a symbol for their kid's name, but given current society, I can't remember if it was The Onion or the NYT.

I'm pretty sure Prince tried the symbol thing for a while years ago. Of course he had staff to sign checks and do everyday things for him that you need, like, an actual name for.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »
Symbols have been done before.  I am told that back in the day, there was a guy who would sign is name with an "X". I guess he was a trend setter. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
I thought I read a while back that somebody had already dome some kind of whack thing with a symbol for their kid's name, but given current society, I can't remember if it was The Onion or the NYT.

I'm pretty sure Prince tried the symbol thing for a while years ago. Of course he had staff to sign checks and do everyday things for him that you need, like, an actual name for.

This?

Couple tries to name child '@'
http://www.cnn.com/2007/funnynews/08/16/strange.name.reut/

BTW: Couldn't get the article to come up in firefox but it did come up in edge.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 08:55:07 AM »
Symbols have been done before.  I am told that back in the day, there was a guy who would sign is name with an "X". I guess he was a trend setter. 

Yeah, but he had a name. He just used a symbol to represent himself in writing. Prince, and this satire(?) want you to identify their actual person by a symbol without, at least in Prince's case, any kind of language to associate him with the symbol.

Prince "explaining" it, from a quick Google:

“It is an unpronounceable symbol whose meaning has not been identified. It’s all about thinking in new ways, tuning in 2 a new free-quency,” the Purple One offered, not entirely helpfully.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 09:20:46 AM »
Yeah, but he had a name. He just used a symbol to represent himself in writing. Prince, and this satire(?) want you to identify their actual person by a symbol without, at least in Prince's case, any kind of language to associate him with the symbol.

Prince "explaining" it, from a quick Google:

He was also likely illiterate but he was probably a bit wiser than many of these people today.  Besides, the article said the baby would be called Hearteyes or Smiley.   =D  
I guess that is Hearteyesemojiheartesemojihearteyesemoji to you.

I seem to remember in early school when we had to learn to spell our name.  I guess this kid would have to learn to draw her name.  If she can't color between the lines, does that change the pronunciation?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
There is no such thing as satire anymore, it merged with reality awhile back. Monty Python would be considered a reality show today.

Except that the argument clinic is online, and free of charge.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife