Author Topic: Home (In)Security  (Read 538 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Home (In)Security
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »
Family's Nest "security" system turned out to be ... not so secure.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/01/31/chicago-family-watched-nest-security-cameras/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Home (In)Security
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »
Family's Nest "security" system turned out to be ... not so secure.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/01/31/chicago-family-watched-nest-security-cameras/

“And then they said, ‘Well, you should have used a unique password and two-factor authentication, and if you did, you know, that would be that,'” Sud said.

In other words, they hooked up the security system, used "password" as their password, and are shocked that someone hacked it.
Stupid people are easy targets.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
So it's a big bad companie's fault that they're too lazy or too stupid to change the password off the defaults.  :facepalm:
In the IT world we filed things like this under RTFM (Read the ****** Manual) Bet the manual states multiple times to change the password.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 02:01:11 PM »
I have two external Nest cameras (doorbell and plain external camera to cover front and back yards).  I bought both of mine last year and know the two-factor suggestion is PLAINLY stated in the documentation and is suggested in the settings section of your web access configuration page. 

Also, hacked passwords are traded online by hackers.  If you're using a previously hacked password for your Nest account, you're at even greater risk of getting pwned.  I know a password I used to use years ago is "out there", so I no longer use it.  Point is, Nest didn't get "hacked" these stupid people got themselves hacked through their own ignorance and laziness.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 02:19:48 PM »
So it's a big bad companie's fault that they're too lazy or too stupid to change the password off the defaults.  :facepalm:
In the IT world we filed things like this under RTFM (Read the ****** Manual) Bet the manual states multiple times to change the password.

In the risk management/insurance world, we have a similar concept when someone complains that something is not covered by insurance: RTFP, for read the *******policy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 02:44:09 PM »
I think I am good.  I don't use "password" like some idiot.  I use 123456. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 08:40:29 PM »
I think I am good.  I don't use "password" like some idiot.  I use 123456. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 08:44:46 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes