Author Topic: REPARATIONS  (Read 3181 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: REPARATIONS
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2019, 03:45:03 AM »
Y'all better give me my money!  :mad:

Just kidding.  ;)

I agree with this gentleman: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/04/06/watch-civil-rights-leader-unleashes-on-2020-dems-al-sharpton-for-reparations-support/

Civil Rights Leader Michael Meyers says...
It’s more of that blame whitey movement, mania, madness. And it’s sheer racial rhetoric...And anybody who thinks that white Americans are going to take the blame or going to feel guilty or give their land and their property away in some sort of reparations pot, because they feel responsibility for the sins of their forebears. They’re not.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »
In the same vein as the above link:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/04/07/they-try-and-treat-us-like-idiots-gianno-caldwell-drops-dems-for-promising-black-americans-reparations-and-damn/

The two points that make sense to me regarding so many of the 2020 dem contenders jumping on this bandwagon:

1) Dangle the candy.
2) After the election, blame the Republicans for taking the candy away.

It actually applies to a good many "free stuff" promises.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 11:06:30 AM »
In the same vein as the above link:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/04/07/they-try-and-treat-us-like-idiots-gianno-caldwell-drops-dems-for-promising-black-americans-reparations-and-damn/

The two points that make sense to me regarding so many of the 2020 dem contenders jumping on this bandwagon:

1) Dangle the candy.
2) After the election, blame the Republicans for taking the candy away.

It actually applies to a good many "free stuff" promises.

That actually describes pretty much every election since 1968 onward
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 08:40:42 PM »
But still quite a few that can trace back to pre Civil War times. My Mother's side has been traced back as far as the War of Independence, we had an ancestor who was held on a prisoner ship in NY Harbor during part of the war, whether he was a miscreant or a Patriot POW has yet to be determined. Don't think we had any slave owners in the family though.

bob

I'm a direct decendant of William White, an original signer of the Mayflower Pact.  I also have a direct ancestor that got married in Hartford CT in 1641. 

I'm pretty sure that most if not all of my direct ancestors were not slave owners, and some fought for the Union in the Civil War.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
I'm not for reparations (too late), but there are other ways to benefit from a slave system, than through owning slaves. Your ancestors may not have owned human beings, but that doesn't mean they weren't involved in selling slave-grown products abroad, via Northern ports. Or selling the stuff domestically. Etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
I'm not for reparations (too late), but there are other ways to benefit from a slave system, than through owning slaves. Your ancestors may not have owned human beings, but that doesn't mean they weren't involved in selling slave-grown products abroad, via Northern ports. Or selling the stuff domestically. Etc.

By that logic everyone decended from involved with Nike could owe reparations to the sweatshop workers making the shoes.  Or everyone mildly involved in the production of Teslas could owe reparations to the child miners in the Congo.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 09:33:47 AM »
By that logic everyone decended from involved with Nike could owe reparations to the sweatshop workers making the shoes.  Or everyone mildly involved in the production of Teslas could owe reparations to the child miners in the Congo.
Once those sweatshop workers and child miners become a vital voting bloc then we'll hear about that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »

Go on.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 10:47:44 PM »
I am fully in favor of reparations for gun owners.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 11:12:51 PM »
I am fully in favor of reparations for gun owners.

You're the second old-timer I've seen return recently after a long absence. Welcome back!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."