Author Topic: Wall to be Emergency  (Read 3655 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Wall to be Emergency
« on: February 14, 2019, 04:07:10 PM »
Well crap. To avoid a shutdown, Trump is signing the spending bill and then declaring a national emergency for the wall. I really didn't want to see it go in that direction.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconnell-says-trump-prepared-to-sign-border-security-bill-and-will-declare-national-emergency
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Wall to be Emergency
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
I didn't want to see it either but when he didn't get the funding before the Dems took over the house the failure to get funding was almost a certainty. I think this is the only way he *may* be able to build a wall. It was the cornerstone of his campaign and with the Dems controlling the House he doesn't stand a chance to get funding through the normal legislative channels. If he want the Rs to have any control after 2020 (POTUS, Senate or House) this is a necessary step.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »
I didn't want to see it either but when he didn't get the funding before the Dems took over the house the failure to get funding was almost a certainty. I think this is the only way he *may* be able to build a wall. It was the cornerstone of his campaign and with the Dems controlling the House he doesn't stand a chance to get funding through the normal legislative channels. If he want the Rs to have any control after 2020 (POTUS, Senate or House) this is a necessary step.

bob

Yeah, I get it in that regard. I just so hate "pen and phone" though, because we end up paying for it later when another Obama gets in.

I wish there were a way for him to have said, "We're taking the train money back from CA and using that for the wall. "
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »
I don't think this is going to really be as big of a deal as a lot of people make it out to be. I suspect it's going to be tied up in courts with minimal real world impact for quite awhile. Meanwhile Trump can claim he's fighting hard and lay the blame elsewhere.
That being said, it's a very bad precedent and I don't support it.
We know this seems increasingly quaint, especially after President Obama’s pen-and-phone governance in his second term, but we believe presidents have an obligation to honor the role of the respective branches of government, even when it’s not in their political interest, even when there seems to be a clever workaround.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
This is not how its supposed to work  :mad:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 05:32:44 PM »
Rush was talking about it today.  There was much more wrong with that deal than anyone was saying.  It was like Obama Care.  Pass the bill and we'll find out later what was in it.  It had many things wrong with it besides not enough dough for the wall.  Rush said he should just move appropriated money around and do what needs to be done and let the Ds sue to stop him and the truth about the Ds and RINOs will become more evident.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 06:08:00 PM »
And Pelosi is threatening that if Trump declares an emergency at the border, the next [Democratic] president can declare "gun violence" an emergency.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »
And Pelosi is threatening that if Trump declares an emergency at the border, the next [Democratic] president can declare "gun violence" an emergency.

If they do that it will quickly become a self fulfilling prophecy.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »

Well, I think she is correct, and this points out the inherent risks of using emergency powers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 08:05:20 PM »

I love how the dems are foaming at the mouth over Trump doing this, which is and absolute requirement and responsibility of the Federal government, and on the other hand threatening a clearly stated part of the bill of rights as retribution.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 08:05:42 PM »
If only one side is playing by the rules it’s no longer a game.

This is a knife fight, you guys haven’t figured that out yet?

Plus what he ^ said above me.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »

This is a knife fight, you guys haven’t figured that out yet?

That's why I have guns.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »
That's why I have guns.

Which Pelosi, Schumer and Company want to take away from you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »
Which Pelosi, Schumer and Company want to take away from you.

Rule 7.62,  eventually,  at this point.

There is no soft landing,  plan accordingly.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 12:20:57 AM »

Does anyone think that If Trump had not declared this emergency,  Pelosi, Feinstein, Schumer, et al,  would have then turned pro-gun and joined the N. R. A.?  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »

The declaration of emergency lets trump use funds the mil has designated for construction to be used for constructing a different structures (like the wall, supposedly).

I'm not sure how this could be used for gun bans, since it is just shuffling construction funds around.

If I am wrong, I would sure like to know.

One thing I do know is the Republican party's refusal to fund the wall when they had power was absolutely disgraceful.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »
I think Trump should veto the bill, as the Dems have loaded this bill up with roadblocks to the wall and the Republicans have happily gone along. And then declare the emergency, anyway.

SHUT IT DOWN.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »
The declaration of emergency lets trump use funds the mil has designated for construction to be used for constructing a different structures (like the wall, supposedly).

I'm not sure how this could be used for gun bans, since it is just shuffling construction funds around.

If I am wrong, I would sure like to know.

One thing I do know is the Republican party's refusal to fund the wall when they had power was absolutely disgraceful.

Pelosi and "We'll do it for guns" is, IMO, more of a scare tactic. Guns would be much harder to do because they're mentioned as the second item in that whatchyamacallit document.

They could much more easily do "climate change" though, using the identical arguments Trump is using, and the same methods to pay for it. And unlike a wall at the border, that "emergency" would negatively affect every single person in the United States. Well, except for alternative power companies, enviro NGOs, and politicians with ties to them.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 09:31:48 AM »
I think Trump should veto the bill, as the Dems have loaded this bill up with roadblocks to the wall and the Republicans have happily gone along. And then declare the emergency, anyway.

SHUT IT DOWN.

Absolutely agree.  Democrats have demonstrated (again) that they will not negotiate in good faith and are not to be trusted.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »
I think the next Dem president will try that tactic whether Trump uses it or not.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »

SHUT IT DOWN.
That was what I was thinking.  VETO the bill, do his emergency, then tell the RHINOS in Congress to negotiate a budget without the wall.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »
As far as the courts go, my understanding is there is some authority for the President to take action when it comes to border security since that is sort of a Constitutional mandate.  I heard somewhere that the administration was planning on a legal battle.

As far as guns are concerned, declaring an emergency that violates a constitutional right for something that is completely extra-Constitutional is a bigger stretch.  I am sure Dems wouldn't mind doing it and I am sure at least some judges would back them up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
Building project vs suspending a constitutional right?
Apple this orange. Orange this is apple.

Of course many dems don't see it that way.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »
I heard somewhere that the administration was planning on a legal battle.

I'm just listening to a Trump news conference. He's stating he expects this to get tied up in the 9th circuit initially, then go back and forth and finally end in the Supreme Court. He made it sound like a very long time before a final ruling.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 12:24:22 PM »
Are we headed to a "Papers Please" situation with the "Wall"?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536