Author Topic: Wall to be Emergency  (Read 3656 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: Wall to be Emergency
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
Are we headed to a "Papers Please" situation with the "Wall"?

I've never considered showing my ID/Passport an unreasonable restriction when entering someone else's country...

Edited to correct spelling
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:38:30 PM by Andiron »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »

We’re already there.

Last time I drove up to Canada, 2014, they found a restricted item in my buddies car.

All my papers were in order.

After 15 minutes of sitting in an empty room alone, waiting for them to run my info, the BP guy comes back in and asks me about my arrest in 1983. A case the judge threw out due to it being an obvious case of mistaken identity.

A half hour after that we were back on our way with my buddy getting a warning.

The safe border is policed to the extreme. The unsafe border is purposefully left unprotected and wide open.

Why?

Build the wall!

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 12:40:58 PM »

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you. That's exactly what's supposed to happen at a border. I've been to a dozen countries, including Mexico, and they all made me show my passport and in some instances a visa, to get in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you. That's exactly what's supposed to happen at a border. I've been to a dozen countries, including Mexico, and they all made me show my passport and in some instances a visa, to get in.

The same thing has happened to me more times than I can count. Fly in on an obvious military  aircraft, get met by embassy people for transport, stop at the "papers please check" station in the host country and then on your way. Sending people to Saudi Arabia in 1989 was even more complicated, we had to send the host nation a list of people we were sending in and the ones we were pulling out at least two weeks in advance so they could be checked. I don't consider having to show my passport or other from of ID when entering a foreign country legally a nuisance. It is the way things are done in civilized (and some not so civilized) countries.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 02:02:27 PM »

At ports of entry yes, supposed to be that way, but anytime you are stopped by leo or have interactions with government workers you'll have to show proof of us citizenship.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »
I possibly see where you are coming from. Maybe as you are driving along minding your business about 98 miles from the Southern border and you get stopped at checkpoint manned by armed men and they ask for your proof of citizenship rather than just ask or look at you. If "asking for papers" is upheld there where will it stop? I don't see this happening in my lifetime, but in someone else's lifetime it could surely be a possibility as the need for national security overrides the due process we are so fond of now. Things that make you think outside the box.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 05:51:52 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 06:03:38 PM »
The proper time to declare an emergency and build a wall has come and gone. It was when the dems were on the beach in Puerto Rico.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 06:50:17 PM »
I possibly see where you are coming from. Maybe as you are driving along minding your business about 98 miles from the Southern border and you get stopped at checkpoint manned by armed men and they ask for your proof of citizenship rather than just ask or look at you. If "asking for papers" is upheld there where will it stop? I don't see this happening in my lifetime, but in someone else's lifetime it could surely be a possibility as the need for national security overrides the due process we are so fond of now. Things that make you think outside the box.

bob

A wall isn't going to work, you can always go around a wall. Trains and trucks cross the border everyday, once this wall is established there are going to be a lot more dead bodies in truck trailers and train cars.

Like I have been saying if Trump, the GOP or Democrats were really serious about illegal immigration they would be going after those who employ illegal aliens. Too much campaign money comes from those who take advantage of the exploitable labor of the illegal aliens.

Also we are willingly asking for more government control and doing it as declaring an emergency (Patriot Act anyone?). This is going to come back full circle when another party is in charge and we are going to lose a lot of freedoms because of this. Don't you think folks like the AOR would love to force everyone into urban centers and force us into the green deal?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
but anytime you are stopped by leo or have interactions with government workers you'll have to show proof of us citizenship.

Well, that's a bit wide-ranging.

When I'm out walking down the sidewalk minding my own business, do I want a cop demanding my ID? No, absolutely not. However for certain interactions, like getting my driver's license or voting, I absolutely want them demanding my ID and proof of US citizenship.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »
At ports of entry yes, supposed to be that way, but anytime you are stopped by leo or have interactions with government workers you'll have to show proof of us citizenship.

There's this magic new thing that any sane country would employ called profiling.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/us/border-migrants-asylum-mexico-aclu.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Many of the migrant caravan are giving up and either going back home or staying in Mexico.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2019, 11:21:00 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/us/border-migrants-asylum-mexico-aclu.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Many of the migrant caravan are giving up and either going back home or staying in Mexico.

Donald Trump: Slayer of Dreams
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2019, 08:24:53 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/15/us/politics/trump-national-emergency-congress.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

More concern over the use of emergency powers by a President.

So they could use the act to enforce current laws?
The president cannot write law. They can enforce current federal law, that's it.
So a future dem could use the act to step up enforcement of straw purchasing?  Firearms trafficking? 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »
So they could use the act to enforce current laws?
The president cannot write law. They can enforce current federal law, that's it.
So a future dem could use the act to step up enforcement of straw purchasing?  Firearms trafficking? 

I think guns would be one of the hardest areas for them to use a national "emergency" although I could certainly see it used to give the CDC a lot of funding to do "research" and pump out anti-gun propaganda. Climate change & the environment is where they seem to have easier targets.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2019, 08:45:07 AM »
I think guns would be one of the hardest areas for them to use a national "emergency" although I could certainly see it used to give the CDC a lot of funding to do "research" and pump out anti-gun propaganda. Climate change & the environment is where they seem to have easier targets.

Agreed.
Perhaps they would crack down on illegals passing background checks... :rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2019, 05:27:03 PM »

I have no idea if the above is correct, but huge if true! (Buzzfeed can do it; so can I).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 07:18:11 PM »
So I guess the new "wall bad" dem talking point is that everyone South of our border is indigenous to this side of the border and can just show up? How far South? Mexico, or all the way down to Chile? How far North are they considered indigenous? Just the Southern border states or all the way to Canada?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/02/19/kirsten-gillibrand-opposes-border-wall-that-would-cut-off-indigenous-people-from-the-united-states/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »
Are we going to have to conquer the Indians and whip the Mexican Army again?  ???

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 02:33:16 PM »
A wall isn't going to work, you can always go around a wall. Trains and trucks cross the border everyday, once this wall is established there are going to be a lot more dead bodies in truck trailers and train cars.

If you have to go around the wall, then clearly the wall is working. Yeah; trains and trucks cross the border, at controlled points of entry.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
If you have to go around the wall, then clearly the wall is working. Yeah; trains and trucks cross the border, at controlled points of entry.

Not every load is inspected or every train stopped. How about a real cure and not another bandage.

Uranus is a gas giant.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 10:11:14 PM »
Not every load is inspected or every train stopped. How about a real cure and not another bandage.

Well yeah. You can't stop it 100%. But when has that ever been the goal?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »
Well yeah. You can't stop it 100%. But when has that ever been the goal?

Nreds to be, going painfully after every employer who hires illegal aliens would be way more effective than any wall.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 10:55:10 PM »
Nreds to be, going painfully after every employer who hires illegal aliens would be way more effective than any wall.

Why would we settle for anything less than both?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2019, 10:58:56 PM »
Why would we settle for anything less than both?

...because we all know neither is going to happen.

Uranus is a gas giant.