Author Topic: Maverick  (Read 551 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Maverick
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »
I just started rewatching the original Maverick TV series. What an absolute pleasure.

I haven't watched it since I was a kid. I used to catch it on (for those old enough to remember) one of those funky local UHF "local cable" stations after school. The first three seasons, when James Gardner was still there regularly, were the best.

I'm only on the first disc of season one right now, and once again, it's just nice to watch a good show that doesn't have gratuitous cussing, play by play sex, etc. Somehow they made great TV with a "G" rating vocabulary. Of course nowadays it would be considered "R" rated for violence, treatment of women, and non-diversity.

Anyway, I know there are those here who would really like it if you've never seen it, and for the other old codgers, recommended for a rewatch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Maverick
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 11:50:20 PM »
Old tv is great.   I have BRONCO  on dvd which is @60 years old.   SUGARFOOT  is another I have; it was one of my father's favorites.  
I also have a number of old dramas and police procedural from the 50s and 60's which are great.
No sex, no cussin', basically family friendly -- even the old police drama NAKED CITY is good ~~ imagine if THAT was rebooted in today's tv market!!  :angel: [tinfoil] :old:

THE GUNS OF WILL SONNET,   THE TEXAN,   HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL,  all make great dvd box sets!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:54:44 PM »
I remember that series as well. Pretty good.

They also tried to revive it in the early '80s with the series "Brett Maverick" which was pretty good and produced good ratings, but there were apparently some network bigwigs at NBC who didn't like it and forced its cancellation.

One thing to notice about old TV shows . . . they're noticeably longer than most of today's shows, since less time was devoted to commercials.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 12:25:54 AM »
I never thought about getting a DVD set.  Might have to look for that.  It shows up on a local NBC broadcast subchannel, but there are so many long sets of commercials it is not really worth sitting around for.  Watching with no commercials sound like I might enjoy them. 

I do admit that is one show I have gone back to watch and was NOT completely turned off by preaching morals (The Rifleman) or just transparent, emotional stories.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 09:39:24 PM »
If you get MeTV on your cable/satellite service, you may want to check them out.  Lots of old shows on the schedule, including Maverick.

https://www.metv.com/shows/

(I'm partial to The Rifleman myself)
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 07:18:13 AM »
I LOVED my Maverick. Mine was a 1977 2 door with a 302 V8. Thing would hustle. Still miss that car...

What? We're not talking about cars?

Never mind.

Been a LONG time since I've seen that show.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.