Author Topic: New poll finds even split on "pro-life" vs "pro-choice"  (Read 986 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
New poll finds even split on "pro-life" vs "pro-choice"
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
A recent poll found a dramatic shift among Americans in the abortion debate, with an almost double-digit increase in those who consider themselves anti-abortion.

Marist conducted the poll on behalf of the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic organization, between February 12 and 17. In January, a poll found 55 percent of Americans identified as pro-choice, compared with the 38 percent who considered themselves to be anti-abortion, according to the Knights of Columbus.

However, February’s poll found the gap between the anti-abortion and pro-choice sides had closed. In an even split, 47 percent of Americans identified as anti-abortion and 47 percent as pro-choice. The poll represented the first time since 2009 that as many Americans identified as anti-abortion as identified as pro-choice, according to the Knights of Columbus.

In January, 20 percent of Democrats that were polled identified as anti-abortion; February’s poll showed an increase to 34 percent. Democrats identifying as pro-choice fell from 75 percent to 61 percent.

https://www.newsweek.com/americans-made-dramatic-shift-away-pro-choice-position-poll-finds-1343045

Meanwhile, at the DNC:

https://ricochet.com/600102/a-report-from-the-dnc-convention-planning-committee/

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: New poll finds even split on "pro-life" vs "pro-choice"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »
My guess would be that the "a baby is still not a baby after it's out of the birth canal" has finally grabbed the attention of "moderates in the middle" more than even the planned parenthood videos. Whatever your views on abortion, it is rather difficult to rationalize a living, breathing life, separate from the mother, as a fetus.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »
The recent infanticide issues and Democrat politicians talking about allowing newborns to die have had their effect I think.  I think if the decision was confined to abortions in the first month or two (as it had in the past), the numbers may not have changed, but the recent debate has been about abortion in the final months or right before birth.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »
The recent infanticide issues and Democrat politicians talking about allowing newborns to die have had their effect I think.  I think if the decision was confined to abortions in the first month or two (as it had in the past), the numbers may not have changed, but the recent debate has been about abortion in the final months or right before birth.  

This is what democracy abortion looks like.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:16:28 AM »
Remember:  the Democrats were so concerned about infanticide in the headlines, they rolled the black face controversy in Virginia and it has ended up burning all their top state level people.  Before that, the Virginia Gov's comments about letting a newborn die were getting national attention then suddenly the mainstream media dropped that completely.  I think that blackface stuff would never seen the light of day otherwise.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/senate-blocks-bill-on-medical-care-for-children-born-alive-after-attempted-abortion/2019/02/25/e5d3d4d8-3924-11e9-a06c-3ec8ed509d15_story.html
Senate blocks bill on medical care for children born alive after attempted abortion
My understanding is this bill had little or no enforcement included, but it still didn't pass.  Some other headlines called it an anti-abortion bill.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
So a Catholic university does an abortion poll on behalf of a Catholic organization.  Is this like the Bloomberg organization doing a gun control poll on behalf of the Brady campaign? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »
Molochs grip was always tenuous.

His will had to be forced on the people by the Supreme Court, may God have mercy on them.

As restrictions upon this evil become more probable you will see fireworks and hysterics in the media, esp social media.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »
So a Catholic university does an abortion poll on behalf of a Catholic organization.  Is this like the Bloomberg organization doing a gun control poll on behalf of the Brady campaign? 

From what I understand, they've been doing this poll, with the same question, for a while, so the change in numbers is notable.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 01:04:33 PM »
From what I understand, they've been doing this poll, with the same question, for a while, so the change in numbers is notable.

Oh, isn't that interesting!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 01:06:45 PM »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »

Huh?

It is interesting since it shows a real change in opinion.  Repeated surveys with the same questions done over time tend to be more accurate than a single survey.  I do the same thing with my patient satisfaction surveys.  I have been asking the same questions for the last five years, so if I see a change, it is likely to be a reliable change.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »
Maybe the political left has overplayed their hand by being so cavalier and partisan when presented with real horrors.

The insensitivity by the left toward nearly born or just born babies, across multiple stories, in the last few years may have made the “unengaged on the issue” folks uncomfortable.

I suspect most folks, even most pro abortion folks, are uncomfortable with supporting the organ harvesting and infanticide of full term or nearly full term babies.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:25:26 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »
I think Ron is right.

The folks supporting late term abortion are moral monsters, they have no fig leaf excuse that they are not killing people.  Anyone who has seen a 20 week ultrasound, photographs of fetuses (living or dismembered) knows this.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 03:08:42 PM »
It is interesting since it shows a real change in opinion.  Repeated surveys with the same questions done over time tend to be more accurate than a single survey.  I do the same thing with my patient satisfaction surveys.  I have been asking the same questions for the last five years, so if I see a change, it is likely to be a reliable change.

I thought you were being sarcastic.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »
Does this mean that Newsweek is viable?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden