Author Topic: Windows is Stupid and so am I  (Read 1177 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Windows is Stupid and so am I
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:18:25 AM »
So yesterday I was doing some disk cleanup, dumping browser cache files, etc. I decided for the first time ever to use the Windows Disk Cleanup Tool. I went after items marked "dump files": Debug dump files, system error dump files. I even typed what I was about to do into the googles to check if there would be any issues. "Hey, as long as you aren't currently troubleshooting, they're just log files, so clean away!" Okay, sounds good - run!

All looked to go well yesterday, then I turned my computer on this morning. "Updating Windows - 100% - do not turn off your computer" (there were no updates pending when I turned it off yesterday). %&^*$&^! I let it sit there for 30 minutes. There was no disk activity. Okay, this happened to me once before and I went ahead and did a hard reboot that time and everything started right up. Did the same this time and got: "Updating Windows - 35% - do not turn off your computer" &%&^*($&! %^^&*$! $%^*!

This time there was disk activity, so I let it sit for nearly two hours and finally got it to the login screen. Turned it off and on again a couple of times to make sure all was okay, and I'm finally back up.

While I was waiting, I broke out the spare laptop and did some searching. While I saw no "Hey, watch out!" warnings regarding disk cleanup when I checked before I started, after searching for "update hangs after disk cleanup" there were pages of this happening. So this post is just an FYI for anyone thinking of running the resident disk cleanup tool. It is not worth it. If I want to cleanup temp files I'll stick with Spybot, which never gives me any issues, and cache cleanup within individual browsers. Stupid Ben. Stupid Microsoft.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Windows is Stupid and so am I
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »
Never been a huge fan of Gates but MS has been run like a Three Stooges short since he largely left the company.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
I love it when their updates destroy my carefully-adjusted settings.  I also love it when you block updates but they still happen.  I love it when their updates to fix "A" causes problems with "B" and "C."  I love it when their fix of "B" causes problems with "D" and "E."  I love it when their fix of "C" results in problems with "F" and "G."

I love it when you set the exit button default to "Hibernate" to avoid updates and all of a sudden they change that to Shut Down and you get fisted with an update anyhow.

I just love it all to pieces.

Ivan Boroslavitch, 340SO
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 05:18:36 AM »
I've had alright luck out of Windows Disk Cleanup. It cleared up 16 gigs for one of my drives. Can't say I find Windows any worse than any other OS (Linux randomly losing the driver for my mouse, Android randomly turning on battery saving crap that breaks gps functions, Apple being Apple and sucking)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:37:18 AM »
I've never had an issue with Windows disk cleanup, either.  It often frees up more space than CCleaner. I'm using it in the background right now as I thypfds     dsf'pojadsfgfadsfdsa;lgjfdl;jgfc;lskjsd;lkjs;lkbvjsxzc'as
]=efjdfsadmcv  ads;flvm/czx.cxgvvvvzx
fas'dfjsl;dsfklogfh[=ytyhghg
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 11:07:37 AM »
I use ccleaner for automated junk scouring.  Or manual deletion.  Both are faster than what's built in to Windows.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 11:17:14 AM »
You mean like with a rag??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 11:46:25 AM »
I use ccleaner for automated junk scouring.  Or manual deletion.  Both are faster than what's built in to Windows.

I was using crap cleaner for years, but I thought they stopped updating the software or something a while back?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 12:25:21 PM »
You mean like with a rag??

A scrap of Chore Boy around a bore brush.   Works like a champ.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
I was using crap cleaner for years, but I thought they stopped updating the software or something a while back?

It's still being maintained.  There are updates every few weeks.
There is even a pro-version available, but the feature set isn't all that more comprehensive than the free version to tempt me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.