Author Topic: Deleting posts: good or bad? Should deletion by author be disabled?  (Read 765 times)

Chuck Dye

As I tend to be a bit picky about the threads I open and so open relatively few (we, well some of us, need a Thread Title Writing 1 class, especially as the Simple Machines Forum software does not offer thread preview), I really have no idea how frequently it happens over the entire forum, but I find myself wondering if members ability to freely delete a post is a good thing.  I have encountered threads with glaring gaps resulting from deleted posts.  Whether due to  embarrassment (Did that come from me?  Click, click, click. Not anymore!) or fear of censure (OH, NO!  I dont want to be banned!) deletion of a post can mar, even spoil, a thread.  The gap left may only prod my curiosity, or it may suggest a valuable turn for the thread, but I am bothered by the hole.

Does anyone else agree?  Should Oleg tighten up the deletion function or eliminate it?

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: Deleting posts: good or bad? Should deletion by author be disabled?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »
Deletion cannot be eliminated without also eliminating the ability to edit posts. I wouldn't hold my breath for the latter, and therefore the former is a non-issue. Threads are not crippled by people modifying their posts. If you are curious what was originally said, you can always PM.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »
In real life, if you said something, you cannot un-say it.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
"In real life, if you said something, you cannot un-say it."

Which is one of the advantages of the internet.

I've said some pretty stupid things, and so the delete function is a blessing for me.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
No.

The editing of posts is terifically useful for those of us who don't produce flawless posts in the first go, but want to correct our own spelling, and add or clarify thoughts without adding additional posts.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:47:29 PM »
Huck, if we couldn't delete posts entirely, the alternative would be "Comments deleted by APSmember342."  You would rather see that just so you know who posted when?  How much would that help?  When you miss a post that's been edited, you just miss it.  Threads move on.  Not much of a solution, unless you ditch editing entirely.  How much of a problem is it, though? 

Quote from: LeatherNeck
In real life, if you said something, you cannot un-say it.

Deleting or editing a post isn't unsaying anything, especially if it's quoted.  And if it's worth deleting, it will probably be quoted.  Deleting a comment is like going out and collecting every copy of your own book and burning it.  You may destroy the primary source, but those who read it remember it and can quote you. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 03:53:16 AM »
I think you are letting what for most folks is a non issue, become very important to you personally.  So typical to these days, for a single person to think that their idea is good enough to make everyone follow along.
If you don't like the deletion option, then just don't use it.  Simple solution.  Your dilima is now solved.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 06:08:49 AM »
Actually, this is a community in which much occurs based on the values of the members.  What I have asked, if poorly, is a question of what liberties are available here, how they are used (and abused?) and whether this particular function is a good thing.  To suggest that this, or any aspect of the internet is important, much less very important, is to suggest I have failed badly in expressing my interest.  SATC

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 02:38:05 AM »
What I have asked, if poorly, is a question of what liberties are available here, how they are used (and abused?) and whether this particular function is a good thing.

Fortunately, those questions were answered in some detail by very knowledgable and articulate people.  Unfortunately, they all deleted their posts.   sad
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife